DMC Gold Floss

Tips, Tricks & Techniques - anything to help fellow cross stitchers.

Moderators: rcperryls, Rose, karen4bells, Serinde, Alex

kpfaris87

DMC Gold Floss

Post by kpfaris87 »

Hello everyone,

I am working on a project that requires the gold metal-like thread. Someone told me that this thread tarnishes. Is this true, and if so is there anything I can do to prevent it? How long will it last before tarnishing? The final product will be professionally framed.

Thanks for advice!
katiestitch

Re: DMC Gold Floss

Post by katiestitch »

I may have a solution for you.

The pattern I am working on now calls for DMC Gold Metallic Floss. I tried working with it and hated it.

So, I went to Michael's and bought a satin floss in its place. I bought S3820.

I hope this helps.
kpfaris87

Post by kpfaris87 »

Thank you! I will check into that before I start working on the gold portion. That is very helpful and appreciated!
Serinde

Post by Serinde »

I don't think gold "metallic" floss is actually gold, although I could be wrong -- I'm pretty sure it's synthetic. I've never heard of it tarnishing before. :thinks: Real metal threads (like those used in goldwork) are the genuine article.
bookknurd

Post by bookknurd »

Even if the threads that person was referring to were most likely not real metal, perhaps they were of a cheaper quality and had some finish that gave it a 'tarnished' look?

Either way, there are other brands of metallic thread like Kreinik that are usually a lot easier to work with than DMC (although any metallic thread will behave differently than pure cotton floss).
**Signature Under Construction**
(will update soon with current WIPs and other info :dance: )
Rose

Post by Rose »

I have never heard of any of the metallic threads tarnishing. But as others have already said some are harder to work with then others. I prefer Kreniek or Petit Treasure Glissen Gloss.
If you are looking for some one to help change you, look in the mirror
karen4bells

Post by karen4bells »

Rose wrote:I have never heard of any of the metallic threads tarnishing. But as others have already said some are harder to work with then others. I prefer Kreniek or Petit Treasure Glissen Gloss.
I totally agree!!
Work in Progress
Dimensions Passion Flower Angel
Tempting Tangles Welcome SAL
Various small designs

NeedleAndFork

Post by NeedleAndFork »

Because I don't have access to any of the speciality flosses where I live, when I needed to add a bit of bling to an ornament I was working on, I picked up some gold colored sewing thread at Walmart - it came in a spool like regular sewing thread and I think there were 3 colors available - gold, silver and bronze. It's not easy to work with.. short lengths and all needed, but it was cheap, and I think it looks pretty good. I don't know that I'd use it for anything that needed large quantities, but for a few stitches here and there its perfect.. Here's a sample of where I used it:

I used it doubled up, while the rest of the stitching is a single strand of DMC floss.
My blog: Obsessed With Thread

My WIPs: Kimono Lantern Mermaid, Rovaris Alphabet Sampler Christmas Ornaments

Participant of: Ornament a Month SAL, Stitch from Stash Challenge
kpfaris87

Post by kpfaris87 »

Thank you to everyone! I am new to stitching and this will be my first time working with a metallic floss. Someone told me to make sure it didn't tarnish so I wanted to make sure before I put all the work into it. Unfortunately in my area there aren't many places that sell anything for cross stitching, so I have DMC thread.

I am using 28 count and 3 strands of the cotton thread. I will end up doing the metallic gold thread last and see how many strands looks best.

I will for sure post a photo of my finished project! Again, thank you to everyone for your advice and comments. :D
Rose

Post by Rose »

There is nothing wrong with the regular DMC cotton floss it is only their metallic that a large majority of stitchers disdain.

Good luck with your project and we look forward to seeing your work!!!!!!
If you are looking for some one to help change you, look in the mirror
Serinde

Post by Serinde »

Yes, DMC floss is excellent. And I've used their metallics successfully -- they aren't as amenable as other types of metallics (they are very bouncy), but they look beautiful. Just use shorter lengths than usual (than usual even for metallics, that is). The Diamante type is easier than the other's I've used, but really, just go with it. All metallics have their own "teenage" mentalities, you just have to work around it. :lol: