Q-snaps...question?

Tips, Tricks & Techniques - anything to help fellow cross stitchers.

Moderators: rcperryls, Rose, karen4bells, Serinde, Alex

Brendainnj

Q-snaps...question?

Post by Brendainnj »

Hi all, I am a fairly novice cross-stitcher. I recently got back into it after several years away & just discovered the q-snap frames. I'd like to order one but not sure of the size...my current project is only a 5x7 (although the fabric is 8.25 x 10 total). Will the 8x8 fit it? Or should I go w/the 6x6? I have a larger project next so I was hoping to get by w/just the 8x8 for now as they're a little pricey. I may pick up the 11x11 in a couple months when I start the larger one.

Thanks very much!
MaggieM1750

Re: Q-snaps...question?

Post by MaggieM1750 »

I use an 8x8 or 8x11 frame for most everything I work on.
I've looked at the 6x6.. but the stitching area for that is just too small for me.
And.. you don't have to buy a whole frame- you can buy leg sets, or extenders to make your 8x8 into an 11x11, or an 8x11. If a full second frame is out of your budget right now.

I would also suggest that you grab a grime guard/ fabric huggie/ frame wrap as well. It helps to keep your fabric tucked up and out of the way. And also keeps your hand oils off your fabric. I am amazed at how grubby mine get- I wash them between projects.
perftangel

Post by perftangel »

I have 3 of them, 6x6; 8x8 & 11x11 + extenders. I think I use the 11x11 and the 8x8 the most. Right now I have the 6x6 mixed with the extenders for a 9x9. I would recommend the 8x8, it's the most versatile size!
speart

Post by speart »

I'd go with the 8x8. That's the one that I use most often, which is comfy to hold and can accommodate some larger pieces.
bookknurd

Post by bookknurd »

I agree with most have said. The 6x6 feels really small in my hands, though I'll use it sometime for very small project like ornaments.
**Signature Under Construction**
(will update soon with current WIPs and other info :dance: )
karen4bells

Post by karen4bells »

I agree with everyone---the 6 x 6 is not great to work with unless it's for a really small project.
That being said, the 8 x 8 and 11 x 11 are great ones to buy. Will you have enough fabric to fit comfortably in the 8 x 8---it really needs a minimum size fabric that is 11 x 11 and better yet 12 x 12. You could sew some scrap fabric along each edge of aida so the qsnap will be able to hold it better :)
Work in Progress
Dimensions Passion Flower Angel
Tempting Tangles Welcome SAL
Various small designs

Rose

Post by Rose »

I concur with the others if you can only afford one at the moment then the most versitile size would be the 8X8.
If you are looking for some one to help change you, look in the mirror
Brendainnj

Post by Brendainnj »

Thanks to all...I watched a youtube video that someone only used 2 sides of the qsnap & rolled the fabric onto other 2 sides like a scroll...hard to describe but I might try that if my one side won't fit.

Maybe I'll "tape" some fabric on the sides if I have to...sewing for pleasure is one thing--out of necessity--blah! :wink:
Lori0

Post by Lori0 »

Well, I am going to tell you my secret. My budget is very tight. So a while back I got a 9X9 q snap frame. Then I needed a small and a larger one for different projects. I so ran down to Home Depot with one corner piece, tested the size of pipe to fit the corner piece. Picked up some PVC pipe and fittings for less than $9.00. I measured my lenghts and marked them off and got a hack saw to cut my markings. Works even better if you have your dad, husband, brother or friend do the cutting. But it is easy enough to do yourself. Put your fittings on and you off and running. Works great, you can buy just the holder pieces or swap out the store bought ones.
[/iLoriO]
WIP
Crawfish Boil- Leslie Wristers
Nighttmare Before Christmas-charted by me
As of 2/9/2014 MIA
Antique Shoe Collection= Bucilla. start 3/31/14 from stash
littleturtlegirl

Post by littleturtlegirl »

Welcome to the forum from Virginia! :wave:

I have 8x8 and 11x11 qsnaps, I then make 8x11 out of them...
dsweeney

Post by dsweeney »

Lori0 wrote:Well, I am going to tell you my secret. My budget is very tight. So a while back I got a 9X9 q snap frame. Then I needed a small and a larger one for different projects. I so ran down to Home Depot with one corner piece, tested the size of pipe to fit the corner piece. Picked up some PVC pipe and fittings for less than $9.00. I measured my lenghts and marked them off and got a hack saw to cut my markings. Works even better if you have your dad, husband, brother or friend do the cutting. But it is easy enough to do yourself. Put your fittings on and you off and running. Works great, you can buy just the holder pieces or swap out the store bought ones.
What a great money saving tip.
meganh

Post by meganh »

dsweeney wrote:
Lori0 wrote:Well, I am going to tell you my secret. My budget is very tight. So a while back I got a 9X9 q snap frame. Then I needed a small and a larger one for different projects. I so ran down to Home Depot with one corner piece, tested the size of pipe to fit the corner piece. Picked up some PVC pipe and fittings for less than $9.00. I measured my lenghts and marked them off and got a hack saw to cut my markings. Works even better if you have your dad, husband, brother or friend do the cutting. But it is easy enough to do yourself. Put your fittings on and you off and running. Works great, you can buy just the holder pieces or swap out the store bought ones.
What a great money saving tip.
What a great Idea......Especially helpful if you need a non standard size. I will definitly have to file this idea away
Seeds of Friendship
Mermaids(Country Cottage Kids)
Various smalls and Christmas ornaments
Dessert makes me Happy
CCN Mermaids
Christmas Ornament SAL
mesonoxy

Post by mesonoxy »

Just wanted to say thanks for this post - have been wondering myself which Q-snap set to get. I think I'll start with the 8x8 :)