My first biscornu!! (pic heavy)

Please feel free to join in on our SAL

Moderators: rcperryls, Rose, karen4bells, Serinde

Ainjel333

My first biscornu!! (pic heavy)

Post by Ainjel333 »

I have been taking a biscornu pattern to my in-laws house to work on during long visits and have completed it...I didn't post pics as I went along because I wasn't sure it was going to turn out without it being lopsided or very embarrassing. BUT, it turned out pretty good for a first go at it. I've surprised myself. :D

Here are the panels after being stitched and begun to be assembled:

The bottom has a little bit of mistake on it because one of the blue butterflies, I worked a different direction and it made vertical stripes instead of horizontal like the other one...(that is why I call it the 'bottom'...lol)

Thanks for looking :D
rcperryls

Re: My first biscornu!! (pic heavy)

Post by rcperryls »

:applesauce: :applesauce: Congrats on a beautiful piece! What a pretty pattern that is and I think all the butterflies are lovely!

Carole
:dance:
WIPs
Star Wars Afghan:Chewbaca
HAEDs:
O Kitten Tree
Dancing with the Cat
Everything else "on hold"
2022 Finished: Star Wars Afghan: Princess Leia, Obi-Wan Kenobi, Yoda, Finn, Rey, Poe, Han Solo,Darth Vader, BB8,Luke Skywalker
Serinde

Post by Serinde »

That biscornu is lovely. Well done! Just make sure charmagne doesn't see it... or it'll be fluttering off to the Philippines ... :lol:
stitchhappy18

Post by stitchhappy18 »

Beautiful work! Where is the pattern from?
Lisa

Current WIPS:
PSS 12 Days of Christmas
FPS Trick or Treat
Mary Hickmott - Barn Owl
Fleur de Lys Tree
FPS National Parks

2016 Finishes

Filigree Heart
Damask Square
Wash & Pray
Finch
Needleworker
Spooked!
Rose

Post by Rose »

I think it is very lovely!!!!!!!! :applesauce: :applesauce:
If you are looking for some one to help change you, look in the mirror
Ainjel333

Post by Ainjel333 »

Thank you everyone! :D

stitchhappy: the pattern came from here: http://www.gancedo.eu/content/tantes-zolders-charts" target="_blank

There are oodles of charts here...the butterfly one is in the 'round' section. :)
karen4bells

Post by karen4bells »

:wub: :wub: :wub: Love love love it!! :applesauce: :applesauce: :applesauce:
Work in Progress
Dimensions Passion Flower Angel
Tempting Tangles Welcome SAL
Various small designs

jocellogirl

Post by jocellogirl »

That is very very pretty :wub:
Well done, a super first attempt :applesauce: :applesauce:
Jo x

WIP:
Celtic Autumn

On the back burner:
HAEDs Rhyme and Reason
Trio Godspeed Sistine Chapel

Around the World in 80 stitches, Herbularius
Spinsane

Post by Spinsane »

That's lovely! If you don't mind my asking, what is a biscornu? Is it a really pretty pin cushion, or decoration, or...?
destructiveernie

Post by destructiveernie »

Brilliant!!!!!

:applesauce: :applesauce: :applesauce:
Emma

WIP:
HAED Faery Tales
Tilton Crafts - MCM Olde Worlde Map
HAED QS Lady Bug
Ink Circles The Bramble and the Rose
HAED Sistine Chapel
HAED Butterfly Wood
HAED SAL Teddy Bear Tree
Lucy - Charted by Skitzzzz
Leroy_B

Post by Leroy_B »

That's so cool. I didn't know what a biscornu was till I looked it up. Never heard of it before then again I'm not that deep into the sewing arts as many are. I looked it up and leaned something new today. Ha.... not a wasted day after all.

A biscornu is a small, 8-sided, stuffed ornamental pincushion, usually made out of Aida cloth or linen. Embroidery or cross-stitch is used to decorate the top and bottom of the cushion. A button is typically secured in the center of the cushion to give a small depression on the top. Beads, tassels and other objects can decorate the biscornu. They are typically able to fit in the palm of your hand. The name is derived from a French adjective, meaning skewed, quirky or irregular.
Leroy
Squirrel

Post by Squirrel »

Leroy - my grandfather taught me that we should learn something new every day so you are on the ball.

Ainjell - that is gorgeous and so colourful. Well Done on trying something new. It looks great. :applesauce: :applesauce:
Sally in Brisbane Australia

WIPS
Christmas Stocking from World of Cross Stitching mag. 262
Tumbleweed

Post by Tumbleweed »

Leroy_B wrote:That's so cool. I didn't know what a biscornu was till I looked it up. Never heard of it before then again I'm not that deep into the sewing arts as many are. I looked it up and leaned something new today. Ha.... not a wasted day after all.

A biscornu is a small, 8-sided, stuffed ornamental pincushion, usually made out of Aida cloth or linen. Embroidery or cross-stitch is used to decorate the top and bottom of the cushion. A button is typically secured in the center of the cushion to give a small depression on the top. Beads, tassels and other objects can decorate the biscornu. They are typically able to fit in the palm of your hand. The name is derived from a French adjective, meaning skewed, quirky or irregular.
Thanks, was wonder what that was! :thinks:
Spinsane

Post by Spinsane »

Leroy_B wrote:That's so cool. I didn't know what a biscornu was till I looked it up. Never heard of it before then again I'm not that deep into the sewing arts as many are. I looked it up and leaned something new today. Ha.... not a wasted day after all.

Thanks! I'll have to add one of these to my growing to-make list. After all quirky could be my middle name :wink: .
Oriettait

Post by Oriettait »

Brilliant!! :applesauce:
--
Leave nothing on the beach except footprints
:wip:
HAED World Travel Bookshelf
HAED Tree frog
HAED QS Ladybug
HAED Dragon Rip
Instagram @oriettait
adeliane

Post by adeliane »

I love it, it's so colorful!
Will you use it as pin cushion?

Leroy is right, but I will add my expertise about this delicate subject.
Biscornus is a french creation and became a kind of passion... A real biscornumania. Some (stupid) stitchers from my homeland think if you've not created one, you're not a "real" stitcher. Questionable way of thinking... :thinks:
There are some various biscornus now, some liliputian, some huge; there are different shapes like the 15 faces biscornus.

The biscornu has some cousins: le zigouigoui (you don't want to know the translation. Really.) and berlingot... There are more of them but I don't know their name.

One of the most creative french designer is Louison (free charts, click the pictures): 1 biscornu weekly created.

The more I'm telling about it, the more I want to stitch one :lol:
My Photostream ~ Finished Projects
Ainjel333

Post by Ainjel333 »

Thank you all for your lovely comments! I had lots of fun making this and it seemed so easy which is why I was afraid it might not turn out right... :lol:
I will probably give it to my Mother-in-law..she saw me stitching it and was just so intrigued with it and loves it so much. It was really just a 'test' pattern for me to see if I could make one. I will be on the lookout for a couple of pins that have fancy tops on them (not sure what those are called), or I may try and make a couple with beads on them for her to put in it just for looks (she doesn't sew or stitch). This one fits in my hand but takes up most of my hand so it's alittle on the bigger side I guess. I used 18 count aida for it, and anchor variegated, and DMC solid floss.
I'm anxious to go smaller (I used to do dollhouse miniature stuff so I have that-let me see how small I can go mentality). I don't think I can get 'that' small, but who knows. :thinks:

Leroy and Adeliane, thank you so much for your explanations of a biscornu! You did a much better job of it than I could. :)
stitch addicted

Post by stitch addicted »

That's just beautiful!!!
Thanks too for the link.
Fizzbw

Post by Fizzbw »

It's lovely,!! there is something so happy about ones first biscornu!!

Niki xxx
Needle minders and grime guards etc https://www.facebook.com/CirrusCreations" target="_blank" target="_blank

WIP: Last Look HAED
Kauto Star by Skitzzzz
Coming Home SQ
Time and season sampler
cHristamas village
meganh

Post by meganh »

Beautiful :applesauce: I love the butterflies :wub A Fantastick first biscornu, and i love the idea of tenney tiny ones.....i have a fondness for minatures too :D
Seeds of Friendship
Mermaids(Country Cottage Kids)
Various smalls and Christmas ornaments
Dessert makes me Happy
CCN Mermaids
Christmas Ornament SAL