Silly question about needles

For all topics which do not fit in the other categories.

Moderators: rcperryls, Rose, karen4bells, Serinde, Alex

coolpenguin

Silly question about needles

Post by coolpenguin »

Hello, all.

I have a silly question about needles. How long do you tend to use the same needle(s)? I know this may sound silly but I'm curious. I opened up a new package of needles yesterday and I was amazed at how sharp the needle was! I'm guessing I'm using the same needle for too long.

Also, is there an easy way to distinguish needle sizes when they aren't labeled? I was given dozens of needles by ladies in our church sewing group but they aren't labeled. I'm guessing I will just have to compare them to labeled needles.

Thanks!
WIP's
various mini's
OCEAN ABC

Finished in 2017
See my Stitch a Long
Leroy_B

Re: Silly question about needles

Post by Leroy_B »

No expert here on needles but primarily use blunt tip needles for regular cross stitching. A sharp tip needle would work well for a tight clothed fabric I'm guessing 28 count and higher. Also a sharp tip for special needle work such as a bullion rose as an example or even backstitch. Pretty sure Scarlet Quince's web site would have more information about the preferred needle to cloth. Tho some have a favorite that they always feel comfortable with even with a little bend to the needle. If a needle has a bur or a metal plated coating or rust then I'd be sure it's felt as well as seen and not worth holding onto. I just picked up some gold plated needles and look forward to using them tho at time I'd wish the eye of the needle is larger to thread but on the other hand it widens the needle to pass cloth that could expand the material. Washing would pull it back in place. There's needles with and easy thread by sliding it up the needle and catches in the eye. Ebay has a large assortment up for bids or buy it now. As far as size of each needle. I have a tool known as calipers used to measure down to 1/1000 of an inch I bought at Harbor Freight on sale for $6.99 on sale. I'd measure each one and make note. Later I'd research each diameter and compare online of the gauge of needle in inches or millimeters. Organizing each needle is a WIP to build an organized compartment draw for safe storage.

Oh and sure many would agree, there's never a silly question. You happen to bring up a good question that many have had the thought cross their mind and new to the hobby will learn a new tip.
Last edited by Leroy_B on Fri Mar 07, 2014 1:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Leroy
BizzieLizzie

Post by BizzieLizzie »

Until it generally gets a bit manky, i.e. the coating comes off, it gets bent or the eye starts shredding the floss.

One of the UK XS magazines (Cross Stitch Gold, perhaps?) prints a diagram of two or three needle sizes towards the back of each issue so you can measure your needle against them. I'm sure somewhere on the net there'll be a needle size guide but I've done a quick Google search and couldn't see one. :(
Sew many patterns, sew little time!

WIP
HAED Drawing Room
HAED Stitchers Retreat
Lion Profile
Coniferous Forest

Oriettait

Post by Oriettait »

ha ha love Leroy technical know how! using a calipers is a great idea if you have one handy but most likely not :)
I think comparing them to packaged once will be the easier way, I actually think I have somewhere some sort of a ruler that you can use to tell needle size, I acquired it together with a bunch of floss on ebay, gotta found it now!
As for how long I use a needle, usually until it bend, the eyes get squeezed and does not thread anymore, it start fraying the floss or it get rusty or just harder to slide through the fabric.
That was before I bought a pack of Piecemaker needle. I have used the first one since September and it is still in perfect condition! :shock: It became my favorite needle.
--
Leave nothing on the beach except footprints
:wip:
HAED World Travel Bookshelf
HAED Tree frog
HAED QS Ladybug
HAED Dragon Rip
Instagram @oriettait
starshine123102

Post by starshine123102 »

I use my needle until I break it or lose it. I lost one of my needles the other day on either my couch in the living room carpet the other day and have not succeeded in finding it...... :doh:
Michelle
:ratherbe:

2016 FINISHES:
All Hallows Eve (Glendon Place)
Delightful Fruits - Grapes (CSN 3/2013)
Delightful Fruits - Apples
Delightful Fruits - Berries (CSN 5/2013)
Delightful Fruits - Pears

2017 WIP:
Christmas House
Leroy_B

Post by Leroy_B »

starshine123102 wrote:I use my needle until I break it or lose it. I lost one of my needles the other day on either my couch in the living room carpet the other day and have not succeeded in finding it...... :doh:
Often said "needle in a hay stack." Best way to find it, a magnet. Or another alternative, burn the hay. (not the couch...lol)
Leroy
rcperryls

Post by rcperryls »

I use my needles until they break, bend or get lost (the rug under my chair gets vacuumed more than any other rug in the house). Since I keep my needles threaded (unless I use all or most of the thread in it stitching) I have a lot of needles and despite my best efforts get mixed up. They last a long time but again, its not like I am using one over and over again.
and as Leroy says, "No such thing as a silly question"

Carole
:thinks:
WIPs
Star Wars Afghan:Chewbaca
HAEDs:
O Kitten Tree
Dancing with the Cat
Everything else "on hold"
2022 Finished: Star Wars Afghan: Princess Leia, Obi-Wan Kenobi, Yoda, Finn, Rey, Poe, Han Solo,Darth Vader, BB8,Luke Skywalker
Heidi

Post by Heidi »

I use my needles until the coating comes off or they break. I tend to loss my needles in the couch. My DH got one in the bum the other day :D But I have to be more careful moving forward with the little one when she starts grawling.
WIP:
A Pair of Shoes - Van Gogh (10%)

Completed projects:
Sweet Dreams by Me to You - Tatty Teddy
Emerald Mermaid by Nora Corbett
Hoot Owls - Baby Sleeps Here
Angel Proclamation by Nora Corbett
Mini HAED Rose By Rachel Anderson
MaggieM1750

Post by MaggieM1750 »

Like the others- I use it until its done. How long is that?? Not exactly sure. Generally, I can use the same needle through a project. I do smaller- mid sized projects- nothing like a fully stitched HAED/ SQ. During the "un-kitting" process my needle goes into a needle book. So I can't say how long it lasts because they get all mixed up once they go into the book. My needle book pages are numbered to try and keep sizes together.

I generally use 26's so I can feel the difference when I pick up a different sized needle. I too have seen a guide somewhere. From what I remembered- it wasn't just the diameter of a needle thats different. They are different length as well. But I can imagine that gets muddled by regulars and petites.. and each manufacturer has their own standard. I've never compared the length of a John James 26 to a Piecemakers 26.

And when I drop a needle- I don't pull a new one unless I know for sure that its been lost down the arm of my chair. I will search and search until I find it- hopefully not by stepping on it. I sweep my magnetic chart holder across my carpet until I hear the little *ting* that a needles been found. And like Carole- the carpet around my chair is vacuumed most often with all the snips of thread and fabric fluff.. and its the spot most used in my house.
NeedleAndFork

Post by NeedleAndFork »

In a year of stitching I have yet to dispose of a needle. I usually have several on the go - based on how many empty packets I threw away recently, I've got 2 packs of 28s and 3 of 26s on the go, either in my needlebook, threaded and waiting to be used on my haed, or stuck on the magnet that's on my stitching. I do know that I don't have 12 (or is it 5 a pack making 10?) 28s though. I've lost a few somewhere and simply can't find them. Not good since I stitch on my bed most of the time.. I do have a few needles that have been delegated to 'rough use' because the eyes are fraying the floss, so when they reach that stage, they go on a separate page in my needlebook, regardless of what size they are. I use them when I am stitching with metallics so that the metallics don't ruin my still good needles.

I know of some people who use a new needle each day, and others who stitch for months if not a year with a single needle. Both those extremes boggle my mind! But then, I have atleast 2 dozen needles in regular rotation, so none of them are getting that heavy wear. Some are starting to get a bit bent, but they're all still usable. I suppose eventually I'll get rid of the most bent ones, but not until I decide which brand I want to buy and get make a bulk order.
My blog: Obsessed With Thread

My WIPs: Kimono Lantern Mermaid, Rovaris Alphabet Sampler Christmas Ornaments

Participant of: Ornament a Month SAL, Stitch from Stash Challenge
Rose

Post by Rose »

It will depend on the needle I am using. I am a one needle worker and I use a needle until it breaks. I have had very few that I toss because they fray the thread but I have had a few and they go out when they start doing that. If I am using my favorite size which is a 26 then I can go for years before having to use a new one. The 26 size I do not tend to bend. Now if I have to use a 28 then I will only get about one project out of those as for some reason I tend to bend those. By the end of a project it will look like a banana. They get hard to thread when they do that so it goes out.

Now like I said in a different thread if I am traveling I tend to loose my needle so that makes the change a necessity. I have not taken my stitching on many road trips lately. :D
If you are looking for some one to help change you, look in the mirror
Fizzbw

Post by Fizzbw »

Just to confuse the issue, I've noticed that some different brands of needle are not the same size, so two 28's can be completely different sizes. :doh:

I sometimes get a new needle out when I start a new big project, I use gold needles but seem to have the kind of hands that wear the gold off in about a day and a half, even very expensive ones....

Nxxx
Needle minders and grime guards etc https://www.facebook.com/CirrusCreations" target="_blank" target="_blank

WIP: Last Look HAED
Kauto Star by Skitzzzz
Coming Home SQ
Time and season sampler
cHristamas village
Allyn

Post by Allyn »

coolpenguin wrote:Hello, all.

I have a silly question about needles. How long do you tend to use the same needle(s)? I know this may sound silly but I'm curious. I opened up a new package of needles yesterday and I was amazed at how sharp the needle was! I'm guessing I'm using the same needle for too long. ...
Thanks!
I still have needles that I was using a decade ago. I'll use a needle until 1) it frays the thread, 2) the gold wears off, or 3) until it is lost or damaged. I use 28s very nearly all the time. I rarely bend one or break the eye -- I think I broke the eye in one needle in the last 18 months. I can't say I've ever had a needle get 'dull'. Tapestry needles are supposed to be dull. If you opened a new pack and they are sharp, are you sure they are tapestry needles?

WIP
coolpenguin

Post by coolpenguin »

Thanks for the help!

Yes, i am using tapestry needles. I always bend size 28 but 26 and 24 last almost forever. I have favorite needles, though, that i always tend to grab.
WIP's
various mini's
OCEAN ABC

Finished in 2017
See my Stitch a Long
Stitchinkitty

Post by Stitchinkitty »

My needles seem to last forever.I do keep separate needles for metallics though as they burr the eye of the needle..I've never broken a needle but I have lost a few.
Marilyn in SE Queensland

"People who hate cats will come back as mice in their next life."

http://members.optusnet.com.au/~mmoorhouse" target="_blank" target="_blank"
Mabel Figworthy

Post by Mabel Figworthy »

I use gold-plated ones but a relatively cheap variety (they work out at about 10p a needle) so the gold does wear off but not very quickly. I use them until the plating goes, then keep them in a bag to use for the Christmas Craft event as they are still OK for a small project :-)
How long? well, definitely several projects -- I think I used 1 set of needles (one each of 22, 24, 26 and 28) for the whole of Floral Lace (18 smalls)
Visit Mabel's Fancies at www.mabelfigworthy.co.uk
WIPs
Elizabethan Beauty, RSN Certificate & Online
Waiting
Soli Deo Gloria, Mechthild, bling unicorn, goldwork & silk shading kits

Flights of Fancy (blog)
Mabel's FB page
coolpenguin

Post by coolpenguin »

When I work on a project using 28's I bend them like crazy and make sure I have several on hand.
WIP's
various mini's
OCEAN ABC

Finished in 2017
See my Stitch a Long
Reta

Post by Reta »

I use mine till they break which is not often Love them when bent as better for running ends in

advice on sizes
http://www.crossstitchneedleshop.co.uk/ ... guide.html" target="_blank
Mrsadm

Post by Mrsadm »

Here is a very useful article on types of needles

http://www.needlenthread.com/2011/08/ha ... edles.html" target="_blank
WIP
1. "Two Yellow Houses" (Little House)
2. "Elizabeth Saville's 1841 Sampler"
curly sue

Post by curly sue »

My favorite needles have come out of kits from up to 20 or so years ago. They have a much nicer feel to them than any I have bought recently.

I had very poor results with 28's. I broke 2 at the eyes, and bent one beyond use. I think they may have been DMC, but I also have some Sullivan's, so I'm not sure.

Last time I went to the LNS, I bought a pack of John James 26's. I like the 26's for all around size. I am still on the first JJ and it is starting to fray my thread.