What color thread?

For all topics which do not fit in the other categories.

Moderators: rcperryls, Rose, karen4bells, Serinde, Alex

Cook

What color thread?

Post by Cook »

What color DMC thread would you use to make white gold wedding rings on a wedding simpler? There are so many colors of gray. Can you help me?
rcperryls

Re: What color thread?

Post by rcperryls »

What does the pattern call for? could you either add a strand of Kreinik or Rainbow Glisten to the thread to give it some glimmer? Or if you want a real sparkle just use those threads by themselves. I usually mix the metallics with floss because I prefer a subtle sparkle but I have seen some where the metallic by itself is beautiful?

Carole
:thinks:
WIPs
Star Wars Afghan:Chewbaca
HAEDs:
O Kitten Tree
Dancing with the Cat
Everything else "on hold"
2022 Finished: Star Wars Afghan: Princess Leia, Obi-Wan Kenobi, Yoda, Finn, Rey, Poe, Han Solo,Darth Vader, BB8,Luke Skywalker
Cook

Post by Cook »

The pattern has gold rings but my granddaughter has white gold rings. I do have Maderia Silver thread I intended to use also. would you just outline the floss or twist these threads together? ( the floss and Maderia) I never have used the Maderia thread.
tiathyme

Post by tiathyme »

It's hard to suggest colours without knowing what the rest of the sampler looks like.

If you were looking for warm greys I'd probably go 3072 and 3024. If you're looking for cool greys I'd go 928 and 927.

Maybe have a look at the DMC colour family chart and see what catches your eye?

Adding sparkle is a great idea! For madeira metallic thread I'd use one strand of metallic and one strand of DMC. No need to twist them, just stitch as you normally would with two strands. :)
rcperryls

Post by rcperryls »

I have never used Madeira, only kreinik. I usually just thread my needle with either one strand of floss and two strands of kreinik blending element (032 is the pearl which I have used most) or two strands of floss and one of kreinik. Depends on how much sparkle I want. If I want a lot more I will use kreinik braid. Some one else has probably used Madeira and can give you more information.

Carole
:thinks:
WIPs
Star Wars Afghan:Chewbaca
HAEDs:
O Kitten Tree
Dancing with the Cat
Everything else "on hold"
2022 Finished: Star Wars Afghan: Princess Leia, Obi-Wan Kenobi, Yoda, Finn, Rey, Poe, Han Solo,Darth Vader, BB8,Luke Skywalker
Cook

Post by Cook »

Oh my goodness! I went with 3024 and madeira silver. I only had 2 small rings and boy am I glad. The Maderia is no fun to mess with. They are finished and I'm so thankful. I do thank you ladies for your help. I'm not sure I will ever use this thread in cross stitch again. I'm not sure the blood pressure can stand it. lol
crosstitcher1

Post by crosstitcher1 »

Never tried Maderia. Can someone send a pic. of it? I use Kreinik 32 like Carol and for gold, DMC 5282. It's a braid and I separate the 6 threads to use 1 double. I have never had trouble with either of these as far a tangling or fraying like some on here said on another post.
Glad all worked out to your satisfaction on your project. Would like to see a pic. of the project. :applesauce:

HAPPY STITCHING IN STITCHING LAND. :applesauce: :D :applesauce: :D
Cook

Post by Cook »

http://www.nancysnotions.com/product/ma ... &refType=1" target="_blank
This is the thread. I will post a picture when it is finished.
Mabel Figworthy

Post by Mabel Figworthy »

I'd probably go for a very pale grey (762) with a strand on silver metallic or even white opalescent metallic blended in.
Visit Mabel's Fancies at www.mabelfigworthy.co.uk
WIPs
Elizabethan Beauty, RSN Certificate & Online
Waiting
Soli Deo Gloria, Mechthild, bling unicorn, goldwork & silk shading kits

Flights of Fancy (blog)
Mabel's FB page