Tell me about trolleys

Tips, Tricks & Techniques - anything to help fellow cross stitchers.

Moderators: rcperryls, Rose, karen4bells, Serinde, Alex

zippered

Tell me about trolleys

Post by zippered »

I've been thinking about trying using a trolley to get better coverage. But I'm a little confused as to how you actually use it. I saw a video tutorial with some sort of needlepoint (can't remember the type now), but not cross stitch. Can anyone help explain it to me?
Allyn

Re: Tell me about trolleys

Post by Allyn »

I assume you mean a trolley needle. I use it as a laying tool to make sure the threads lay next to each other and are not twisted. If you look for a video that explains a laying tool, that'd explain it better then I could in text.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dfj1T5BP_P4" target="_blank

Instead of the stick she is holding in the video, you'd put the trolley needle on the end of your finger and use it instead. Really, the only difference between what she's doing and cross stitch is her stitches are a satin stitch and for crosses, you'd lay the tool perpendicular to each leg of the cross as you make it.
Last edited by Allyn on Tue Jan 21, 2014 10:36 pm, edited 2 times in total.

WIP
littleturtlegirl

Post by littleturtlegirl »

Great question. I too looked for a video to understand what it was, but didn't see one. I still don't know what you would use one for...
fccs

Post by fccs »

I use laying tools (trolleys) mainly when I do my counted canvas, although I do use them sometimes with my cross stitch. Their purpose is to make sure your fibers are laying nice and flat and even on your canvas or fabric. This video offers a pretty good demo:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HSEVU2gWZhY" target="_blank" target="_blank
Debby

(main) WIPs
Angel of Love
Book of Mythical Creatures
Cache la Poudre
Past Present Forever
Fishing Friends
Mystonique

Post by Mystonique »

I put my trolley needle on my thumb. So I hold my needle in the hand that the trolley needle is on, insert the threaded needle into the fabric, flick the trolley through the loop as I use my other hand to pull the thread through, slide my trolley out, pop the needle back up in the next hole and repeat.

I use mine on both tapestry canvas and cross stitch and I am as fast with the trolley as without IMO.

I don't get along with railroading very well as I seem to twist the threads the wrong way as I go through :? and I find the trolley needle helps my tension too (I tend to pull a bit too tight sometimes.
Myst..
Serinde

Post by Serinde »

Here is an excellent presentation on how to use a laying tool. A trolley needle isn't so different. (And if you've never visited this site before, you are in for a feast!
Allyn

Post by Allyn »

Mystonique wrote:I put my trolley needle on my thumb. So I hold my needle in the hand that the trolley needle is on, insert the threaded needle into the fabric, flick the trolley through the loop as I use my other hand to pull the thread through, slide my trolley out, pop the needle back up in the next hole and repeat.
...I don't get along with railroading very well as I seem to twist the threads the wrong way as I go through :? and I find the trolley needle helps my tension too (I tend to pull a bit too tight sometimes.
This is an interesting technique, I'm going to try it. I gave up two-handed stitching so I could use the laying tool, but this sounds like a solution as long as I can train my thumb. Like you, I can't get into railroading. It seems like an easy technique, but my threads seem to unwind and twist and then the stitch doesn't look neat.

WIP
Mystonique

Post by Mystonique »

It did take me a small sampler to perfect the technique but now I think I'm as quick with the trolley on as without and the stitching is noticeably neater.

The only thing I don't like is that laying tools come so pretty, whereas the trolley needle is an ugly looking industrial thing.
Myst..
NeedleAndFork

Post by NeedleAndFork »

Mystonique wrote:I put my trolley needle on my thumb. So I hold my needle in the hand that the trolley needle is on, insert the threaded needle into the fabric, flick the trolley through the loop as I use my other hand to pull the thread through, slide my trolley out, pop the needle back up in the next hole and repeat.
I THINK I can envision what you're doing here.. and it means you can still stitch two handed, yes? I've wondered how the heck one worked with a trolley needle or laying tool without growing a third hand.. After readig this I'm going to have to see if I can't get my hands on one to try out. Or I might tape a toothpick to a thimble as a makeshift and see how it goes.. lol!
My blog: Obsessed With Thread

My WIPs: Kimono Lantern Mermaid, Rovaris Alphabet Sampler Christmas Ornaments

Participant of: Ornament a Month SAL, Stitch from Stash Challenge
BizzieLizzie

Post by BizzieLizzie »

Mystonique, would you be able to show us a picture of how you wear your trolley needle, please? I tried something similar months ago but couldn't get it to work and gave up in the end.
Sew many patterns, sew little time!

WIP
HAED Drawing Room
HAED Stitchers Retreat
Lion Profile
Coniferous Forest

Allyn

Post by Allyn »

Mystonique wrote: The only thing I don't like is that laying tools come so pretty, whereas the trolley needle is an ugly looking industrial thing.
Nordic Needle has a 'Celtic laying tool' which looks in the picture like a trolley needle with a decorative fingertip end.

http://www.nordicneedle.com/prod/380-371-1701.html" target="_blank

Edit: Oh! And the Stoney Creek store has one, too.
http://store.stoneycreek.com/celtic-tro ... p9370.aspx" target="_blank

WIP
Mystonique

Post by Mystonique »

I will have pictures up tomorrow if I can work out how to take them and upload them :doh:
Myst..
Busy Lizzie

Post by Busy Lizzie »

That would be great :applesauce:
Happy Stitching,
Judith
BizzieLizzie

Post by BizzieLizzie »

Thanks, Mystonique. As my namesake says above, that would be great! :D

I had a another play with my trolley needle over the weekend and found a way of wearing it on the little finger of my needle hand without constantly stabbing the fabric, so that's an alternative if I can't get the hang of wearing it on my thumb.
Sew many patterns, sew little time!

WIP
HAED Drawing Room
HAED Stitchers Retreat
Lion Profile
Coniferous Forest

Vuthuyan

Post by Vuthuyan »

I found a video on parking method on YouTube. It was her trolley needle that I am interested in but can't find. If anyone has ideas on finding it, I'd appreciate the help. All the trolley needles I found online are kinda not pretty.

https://youtu.be/82dp9kK4tK8" target="_blank

Happy Stitching,

An