Ambitious newbie question...

Tips, Tricks & Techniques - anything to help fellow cross stitchers.

Moderators: rcperryls, Rose, karen4bells, Serinde, Alex

quirkyk

Ambitious newbie question...

Post by quirkyk »

Ok...so I've only done a few projects...my last one the Lavender and Lace's Nantucket Rose. That one is finished and now i'm off to do another. I have found an amazing fairy tell piece by Scott Gustafson and Heaven and Earth Designs called Touched by Magic. I would love to do this for my little girl but have a question. On the site that sells it...(will post that as well if it would help) it says that it is recommended stitching 1 over 1 on 25 count. All of the pieces I've worked were kits or put together by the owner of the shop that I bought the chart from. I've used mostly 2 strands, a few single strands and a few 3 (those were noted in the kits) And the provided cloth. So I have no idea what the 1 over 1 is referring to. I do understand that I need 25 count cloth but don't want to goof up the 1 over 1 deal as the chart nor the materials are cheap :) Pretty please help me!! :)

Namaste,
Quirkyk
Namaste,
QuirkyK
Angel

Re: Ambitious newbie question...

Post by Angel »

1 over 1 refers to the amount of strands (In this case 1 strand) over the amount of squares you stitch over (in this case a cross is four holes).

In larger count materials people are known to stitch over two. Which means your cross is three holes down and across leaving a hole in the middle of your cross which is really good for fractional stitches.

I'll see if I can pull some photos for you.
Angel

Post by Angel »

Cross stitching over 1

And for future reference: Over 2
quirkyk

Post by quirkyk »

THANKS a million!!!!!!!!!!!! I just checked it out and even have almost all the colors so I just have to buy the pattern and the fabric!! Off to the store as soon as they open :) Again thanks for the explanation and same goes for the pictures!!!
Namaste,
QuirkyK
Angel

Post by Angel »

I'm glad I could help you.

Heaven and earth designs are notoriously hard though so beware and take it easy ok ^_^ And well done for attempting it.
coffee_freak

Post by coffee_freak »

u beat me to it Angel! :applesauce:

and I must say those are some great projects to tackle as a newbie!! :applesauce: :applesauce: to you too! can't wait for progress pics...
we LOVE pictures!
If you get a comment of a :smile:,I must be holding my :coffee:
http://coffeecupcakescrossstitch.blogspot.com/
WIP:
Joan Elliot Spring Fairy
Cupcakes
Snuggle Up
2012 HD's
Bohemia
Fairy Friend
charmagne_capalad

Post by charmagne_capalad »

Yeah, Angel that was a very simple and clear explanation! :applesauce:

...and quirkyk - hello and welcome! Hope we can see your project (((HAED!))).... Like what Angel said...well done for attempting it! Take care! :wub:
charmagne
"As we count our stitches...let us not forget to count our blessings..."
@mayneideas on instagram
kimkat_tkl

Post by kimkat_tkl »

My suggestion is before you actually start your HAED do some test stitching first on a scrap.
Rose

Post by Rose »

I can only add one item to what teh other girls have said, and forgive me if you already know this.

You do realise that they are talking about evenweave fabric, correct? They are not talking about aida fabric.
If you are looking for some one to help change you, look in the mirror
Serinde

Post by Serinde »

Hi quirkyk.
There are a couple of other threads here that deal with HAED, for example
http://www.crossstitchforum.com/viewtop ... hilit=HAED" target="_blank" target="_blank

I would say it is ambitious for a beginner, not because the stitching is difficult, but because they involve significant numbers of colours stitched in a very compact way. Kimkat is right: do a test piece on linen or evenweave first (at least 10x10, which will give you an idea of the tapestry effect you are aiming for).
Good luck if you do go for it. Make sure you love it, because you will be working on it for a considerable time. Also make sure you take advantage of all the good tips and tricks on their website.
agi

Post by agi »

I was just going to say what Rose said... there was a thread here somwhere about stitching on evenweave, I think it's worth reading! Also some on HEAD.
Good luck with your new project.
Agi

"The world, as a colourful knot of threads, has turned into a memory, and now you cannot be sure whether it was real."
(Géza Ottlik, Hungarian writer)

My blog
~threadbear~

Post by ~threadbear~ »

Hello and welcome! :wave:

That's a very ambitious start, but I am hoping you can put up a WIP (work in progress) thread in the SAL section of this site. We will love to follow along your progress and give you plenty of encouragement and masses of praise too.
:dance: :D :dance:
:choc: There's nothing better than a good friend, except a good friend with CHOCOLATE! :dance:
:choc: Forget love! I'd rather fall in CHOCOLATE! :wub:

Current :wip:
With Faith :dance:
Dogs
Snow Leopard (Haed)
Big Cats

Blog