So I inherited my grandmothers stash

For all topics which do not fit in the other categories.

Moderators: rcperryls, Rose, karen4bells, Serinde, Alex

cairee

So I inherited my grandmothers stash

Post by cairee »

My Grandmother is a stitcher and has an impressive collection of charts, having kept the origionals from every pattern she did. a few years ago she was diagnosed with alzheimers and now she is unable to stitch. She has been dividing up all the various contents of her craft room to her daughters and granddaughters who could use them, and I got her charts.
looking through them I found one on a thin yellowing paper, no picture with it just the chart and legend, written in dutch no less. the date: 1942. I found out that this was given to my grandmother when she was a little girl fleeing Amsterdam. I remember her telling me the story of recieving a chart as a parting gift, being told to be very quiet as she and her brother we smuggled on a boat heading north. it was the last time she saw her mother.
I will have to stitch this one up, carefully photocopying the origional of course, no idea the recomended size so I am thinking of using linen or evenweave and stitching over 2. thankfully while the color names are in dutch the color numbers are DMC. I will start a SAL when I get the stuff together so I can share this lovely project with all of you.
:wip:
Mables 2016 SAL
Holland Springtime Mandalla (chatelaine)
karen4bells

Re: So I inherited my grandmothers stash

Post by karen4bells »

Oh my goodness, this sounds like a wonderful project and I definitely look forward to watching your updates on it!! It will be such a wonderful heirloom for you and your family to treasure for many many years to come. What an amazing inheritance!!! :)
Work in Progress
Dimensions Passion Flower Angel
Tempting Tangles Welcome SAL
Various small designs

Angel

Post by Angel »

OMG That is a truly amazing find! I would love to see what this looks like stitched, what a wonderful (heartbreaking) story to accompany it too! It's your own private bit of history!
Squirrel

Post by Squirrel »

Oh that is so wonderful and what a treasure you have in all those charts.

Good on you for going for the oh so special one first. :thumbsup: I would have done that too. I am looking forward to seeing your updates on it.

Anyone else join me on our imaginary expandable couch to watch this oh so special one being stitched???
Sally in Brisbane Australia

WIPS
Christmas Stocking from World of Cross Stitching mag. 262
Mystonique

Post by Mystonique »

I'm really looking forward to seeing this one - what an amazing story to go along with what I'm sure will be a beautiful piece.
Myst..
geekishly

Post by geekishly »

Oh wow, what a great find! Sorry to hear about your grandmother's health though.
- Brandi

WIPs
Joan Elliot's "Grace"
"Sephina's Secret" by Illustrated Ink
Small Projects - Belle & Boo girl w/dove

my blog
stitchingmae

Post by stitchingmae »

can't wait to see this stitching come to life!
Rose

Post by Rose »

How fantastic is that!!!!!!! That she was able to keep this treasure all these years!!!!!!! :applesauce: :applesauce:
If you are looking for some one to help change you, look in the mirror
felicity53

Post by felicity53 »

What a lovely story. Make sure you write it and tape it to the back of the completed and framed work. ( maybe with a photo of you and your grandmother?) Future generations of stitchers should know this tale!
wendywombat

Post by wendywombat »

felicity53 wrote:What a lovely story. Make sure you write it and tape it to the back of the completed and framed work. ( maybe with a photo of you and your grandmother?) Future generations of stitchers should know this tale!
Great idea Felicity! :applesauce: Something as memorable as this should be recorded. :D

What a fantastic find! I'll join Squirrel on the Magic Couch and wait to see this done. :dance:
Oriettait

Post by Oriettait »

I love this story! I will be looking forward to see this one :wub:
--
Leave nothing on the beach except footprints
HAED World Travel Bookshelf
HAED Tree frog
HAED QS Ladybug
HAED Dragon Rip
Instagram @oriettait
crosstitcher1

Post by crosstitcher1 »

You can count me in on that couch.
I am teary eyed from reading your heart warming story. Please write down all that she has to offer in her memories.
I didn't know my grandmom long, as we moved from state to state for dad's job and when my mom was diagnoised with cancer in 1990, she gave me her phone no. to keep in touch. She passed in 1996.
My grandmom lived to be almost 99, 2 months short, and the last project she did was a knitted, as that's what she loved, wavy pattern afghan for my b/d. I had a good game site friend of mine that knits make for her 97th b/d a small square lap afghan. When she died, my aunt mailed it back to me. When I gave it to my grandmom, I took pic. of her with it. I have it framed sitting on my computer.
That's why I am teaching my grand girls my hobby, as I want them to know and enjoy the joy of creation of something of their own to be handed down to their children .
Many blessings :angel: :love: :pray: are sent your way to keep your grandmom around to share her wealth of knowledge with her family.

HAPPY STITCHING IN STITCHING LAND. :applesauce: :D :applesauce: :D
Fljotsdale

Post by Fljotsdale »

Oh, how wonderful! :D :dance: I am so green with envy! :lol:

Hm... those DMC colours from 1942 will be a bit tricky to match up though... :thinks:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LVDUTAn6Ttg" target="_blank"

Watch Leonard and the young singer! ;)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ye6JssTdnvw" target="_blank"

Cohen's son, Adam.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qiP3PkLoMdI" target="_blank
rcperryls

Post by rcperryls »

:wub: What a wonderful and heartrending story that is and what a beautiful gift from your grandmother. I hope you will start stitching it soon. I will be sitting on the couch with the others watching you stitch this wonderful mystery piece.

Carole
:wub:
WIPs
Star Wars Afghan:Chewbaca
HAEDs:
O Kitten Tree
Dancing with the Cat
Everything else "on hold"
2022 Finished: Star Wars Afghan: Princess Leia, Obi-Wan Kenobi, Yoda, Finn, Rey, Poe, Han Solo,Darth Vader, BB8,Luke Skywalker
backafteradozenyrs

Post by backafteradozenyrs »

As I scrolled down to add my 2cents worth...I kept reading my thoughts post after post, so, scooch over, y'all :!:

What an absolute TREASURE. I am looking forward to it coming alive with the rest of the group!
Diana
WIP
Rejoice in Today Rooster=Stoney Creek
White Dorkings=Leisure Arts
White Wedding-Ellen Maurer-Stroh

Finished Masterpieces:
His Name Is Jesus
Never too old for teddy
Turn off the water sign
Debbies bookmark
megan_bright

Post by megan_bright »

What an amazing story! I can't wait to watch your progress :)
WIP:
Dragon Riders HAED
QS Wind Moon HAED
The Ranger HAED
HAED BB SAL Literate Dragon

http://meganbright7.blogspot.com/" target="_blank" target="_blank" target="_blank" target="_blank" target="_blank" target="_blank
Mabel Figworthy

Post by Mabel Figworthy »

How wonderful to have the opportunity to stitch that design -- a great tribute to your grandmother and all who had to flee to escape the occupation!

If there is any Dutch on it that needs translating, just PM me and I'd be honoured to help.
Visit Mabel's Fancies at www.mabelfigworthy.co.uk
WIPs
Elizabethan Beauty, RSN Certificate & Online
Waiting
Soli Deo Gloria, Mechthild, bling unicorn, goldwork & silk shading kits

Flights of Fancy (blog)
Mabel's FB page
imogenX

Post by imogenX »

felicity53 wrote:What a lovely story. Make sure you write it and tape it to the back of the completed and framed work. ( maybe with a photo of you and your grandmother?) Future generations of stitchers should know this tale!
What a terrific idea. Like everyone else, I am moved by your touching story, and eagerly bouncing on the couch awaiting your SAL! :dance:
Mabel Figworthy wrote:If there is any Dutch on it that needs translating, just PM me and I'd be honoured to help.
How great is this place? :wub:
-Imogen

Current WIPs
HAED SK Some Enchanted Evening
Stitchonomy Winter SAL
Animal Alphabet SAL (Anna Gutova for Artmishka)
Modern Folk Embroidery SAL 2021
Wonders of the Solar System SAL (Climbing Goat Designs)
Gnomes (Designs by Gloria & Pat)
destructiveernie

Post by destructiveernie »

Lovely story!!

Like the others I look forward to seeing this!!!
Emma

WIP:
HAED Faery Tales
Tilton Crafts - MCM Olde Worlde Map
HAED QS Lady Bug
Ink Circles The Bramble and the Rose
HAED Sistine Chapel
HAED Butterfly Wood
HAED SAL Teddy Bear Tree
Lucy - Charted by Skitzzzz
cairee

Post by cairee »

well, I figured out the colors, the numbers were way out on some but that was expected. I went by description and google translate and comparing where the color was to appear on the chart where I had to. I ordered the fabric (32ct evenweave) and what colors I was missing. I will start when it arrives!
just realised I never said what the picture is, its a bouquet of flowers, mostly roses and daisies. 200 stitches wide 140 stitches high.
I will definetly have the story written on the back of the finished piece! what a fantastic idea!

and Mabel, thanks for the translation offer! I managed to get by with google translate for this one but if it fails me in the future I will keep you in mind!
Mables 2016 SAL
Holland Springtime Mandalla (chatelaine)