Disappointed!

For all topics which do not fit in the other categories.

Moderators: rcperryls, Rose, karen4bells, Serinde, Alex

Heather

Disappointed!

Post by Heather »

I went to the largest craft store chain in Canada today, and they had zero cross stitch kits. They had the smaller sampler-type ones with little sayings... but none of the larger dimensions or DMC kits. I went to Wal-Mart, same thing! At the chain craft store the embroidery thread is in the farthest corner of the store with little lighting. I didn't even see any aida cloth. I asked the cashier, "are you hiding all of the *good* cross stitches somewhere else?" And she said, "nope". She's a stitcher and knew exactly what I was talking about... she said they've slowly dropped all of the larger kits.

At least when I got home, the Aurora Cabin (the Gold Collection) kit had come in the mail so I got to start that :) But it feels like cross stitching around here has gone the way of the dinosaur. I started Googling and found a nothing-but-cross stitch store about 45 minutes away and I will have to check it out one day. I guess I will have to stick to getting kits on E-Bay for now.

Does anyone direct-order from the company?
WIP:
Universe In A Jar (HAED) 07/08/12
Finishes:
Sunflower Bee (HAED)
pattiebelle

Re: Disappointed!

Post by pattiebelle »

hi, heather.

i have been pleased w/ my kit purchases from "everythingcrossstitch.com" .

none of my regular stores have had many kits lately, either.

hope this helps ...
pattiebelle

"Gratitude is memory of the heart" (Jean-Baptiste Massieu)
LadyS

Post by LadyS »

I believe Dimensions's kits always end up costing more ordering directly from them than ordering on say, 1-2-3 Stitch or Amazon.
Laura (aka lsschwartz on HAED BB)

WIPs
Krystal (HAED)
Middle Earth Map (HAED)
Snowman&Friends Stocking (Dimensions)
12 Days of Christmas SAL
Little One (Dimensions)
rcperryls

Post by rcperryls »

Amazon is usually got some good prices because there are so many different venders to pick from. I use it for a lot of different things. The craft stores around here are only good for DMC threads, some stitching accesories and fabric, mostly prepackaged from DMC or Charles Craft, and not a lot of variety. On line I think is where most of cross stitch supplies can be found. We don't have a Joann's, so I mostly have to deal with AC Moore or Michaels. the one independent store is not easy for me to get to.

Carole
:)
WIPs
Star Wars Afghan:Chewbaca
HAEDs:
O Kitten Tree
Dancing with the Cat
Everything else "on hold"
2022 Finished: Star Wars Afghan: Princess Leia, Obi-Wan Kenobi, Yoda, Finn, Rey, Poe, Han Solo,Darth Vader, BB8,Luke Skywalker
LadyS

Post by LadyS »

I also tend to order stuff online, although I do my best to get my threads from Michael's, since it's cheaper there. I don't go often due to budget and 'cus it's a 25-30 min drive.
Laura (aka lsschwartz on HAED BB)

WIPs
Krystal (HAED)
Middle Earth Map (HAED)
Snowman&Friends Stocking (Dimensions)
12 Days of Christmas SAL
Little One (Dimensions)
karen4bells

Post by karen4bells »

It seems to get harder and harder to be able to purchase any decent cross stitch items locally--I am fortunate enough that I live within 10 miles of a JoAnn's which does stock a decent amount of dimensions kits, charles craft aida and dmc threads. They do have other cross stitch items too, even a fair selection of booklets and magazines.
I do end up ordering a fair amount of my evenweave online, usually ebay and other items from 123stitch.com which carries a great selection!!
Work in Progress
Dimensions Passion Flower Angel
Tempting Tangles Welcome SAL
Various small designs

Raine

Post by Raine »

I do almost all my cross stitch shopping online and the world is my oyster. After finishing up for the night on my project from Germany, I purchased a download chart from a shop in Sweden by a Turkish designer, in my pajamas in the middle of the night. Now that's what I call blissful shopping.
My blog: http://ravelldsleave.blogspot.com/

Finished in 2014 ~
By The Bay Needleart 2012 Mystery SAL
We Love Dogs
Warm Winter Woolens
MaggieM1750

Post by MaggieM1750 »

You're in Toronto? Look up Gitas.. or maybe its Gittas
I've bought a few of their eskimo kits but the store looks like a little place of heaven
I think kits in general are slowly going away.
Heather

Post by Heather »

MaggieM1750 wrote:You're in Toronto? Look up Gitas.. or maybe its Gittas
I've bought a few of their eskimo kits but the store looks like a little place of heaven
I think kits in general are slowly going away.
Michael's is the store I went to with nothing. I will look up that store...I also found one in Etobicoke called The Sampler. Thanks!

I just like the kits in general because I've never bought my own thread for a pattern before... it seems like it could get complicated. As long as cross stitching in general never goes away I'll be fine :)
WIP:
Finishes:
Sunflower Bee (HAED)
Wandatoo

Post by Wandatoo »

Gitta's is good, as was the Sampler last time I was there a few years ago. If you feel like "It's worth the drive to Acton . . ." there's the Needle Gnome on the main street. :)

I've also ordered online from a store in St Thomas - never visited the store itself, but Maria is very helpful and the service is very good.

http://www.stitchitcentral.ca/" target="_blank

Good luck!
Wandatoo

"Dogs come when they're called. Cats take a message and get back to you."
Nachstenliebe

Post by Nachstenliebe »

It does feel like stitching is tgoing he way of the dinosaur :cry: I was stitching at work the other day and a lady asked if I knit on top of stitching.. I answered with my shoulder (tendonitis ) it isn't reall feasible.. she then started to comment on how knitting is so much better.. I was like wow! I didn't know it was a competition... each craft obviously comes with its own ups and downs.. :roll:
Faith
Heather

Post by Heather »

Nachstenliebe wrote:It does feel like stitching is tgoing he way of the dinosaur :cry: I was stitching at work the other day and a lady asked if I knit on top of stitching.. I answered with my shoulder (tendonitis ) it isn't reall feasible.. she then started to comment on how knitting is so much better.. I was like wow! I didn't know it was a competition... each craft obviously comes with its own ups and downs.. :roll:
Faith
Well, my disdain for scrapbookers whose supplies have literally taken over Michael's seems to be bringing out my competitive side. :dance: Apologies to any scrapbookers here : P
WIP:
Finishes:
Sunflower Bee (HAED)
YoungStitcher

Post by YoungStitcher »

Wow that sucks!

I have the aurora cabin kit too. It's stunning, I haven't started it yet but it's on my list for when I get home.
Current WIP
Arise on the Wings of Your Dreams
Twilight Bridge
Nativity Scene

Finished Projects
Lily :whoop: Santa's Flight :whoop: Pirate Queen :whoop: Scotland Map
JA Fan

Post by JA Fan »

Your comment about scrapbooking prompted me to post for the first time.
I got back into cross stitch a few months ago and eagerly chased off to Michaels in Kitchener for a kit to sew for my niece as a wedding gift. What I found was very disappointing. The so-called cross stitch section was none existent apart from a few general supplies. A store assistant told me they were "phasing it out." The store, however, had a very large scrapbooking section. Don't get me wrong, I have nothing against the craft, but does Michaels have to have aisle upon aisle of scrapbooking stuff?
It all boils down to whats in vogue, I guess.
I finally got a Blain Billman chart and supplies from The Needle Gnome in Acton.
Since then, Michaels of Cambridge, On. has started up a cross stitching section again.
At least it's something. :dance:
WIP
Gold Collection Petite -- Cozy Cub
On hold:
HAED -- Bob Cratchit and Tiny Tim
Ketta

Post by Ketta »

I agree, what craft stores call their 'cross stitch' or 'needlecraft' sections really blows.

20+ years ago, it was a lot different. Loads of books and kits, even in places like department stores.

A few years ago, I was working in a massive fabric store (a dying breed here in the US), and while our selection of fabrics was incredible, my boss refused to carry even the full line of DMC floss. She's a story unto herself, having a business model stuck in her brain from the '60's, and no amount of discussion would convince her she needed to carry the full line. Stupid, stupid woman. She had no idea how many customers she lost because of that alone.

And cross stitch? No books. I even offered to do samples for free to help sell them, but no chance. It's like she didn't feel it deserved the title of needlecraft (we had a large selection of knitting and crochet supplies and books, as well as embroidery...).

Even places like Michael's have very limited selection. They're slowly downsizing it, too. Our only saving grace is the almighty internet, and if Michael's and businesses like the place I worked want to lose customers to it, fine by me. Idiots.

As you can see, it's a sore subject with me. It's as if they'd rather let a craft die out than try to update it and encourage interest, as if we should expect crafts to be fads, like they're treating stamping and scrapbooking. Crafts don't die because people lose interest alone, a lot of it's due to the apathy of retailers. Of course people aren't always going to want to buy the same thing they've seen in stores for 20 years! :-x

Ok, I'm done ranting. :)
Blog: http://ketta-ketta.blogspot.com/" target="_blank" target="_blank

WIP: http://www.crossstitchforum.com/viewtop ... =6&t=12786" target="_blank" target="_blank (bug)

http://www.crossstitchforum.com/viewtop ... =6&t=13419" target="_blank (Serenity)
caitief

Post by caitief »

My stores are disappointing too. I was all excited to go to a store by my parents with my mom when I was visiting and they were closed down :(. They had an AMAZING selection and the owner designed beautiful charts
WIP:

Mickey and Minnie holding hands
Alphabet
Starry Night w/Tardis

To start

A dalmatian
Parents dog
Minnie Thumper Dumbo

http://pinterest.com/caitiefl/charts-i-want-to-stitch/
Darlene

Post by Darlene »

I too have been disappointed in the lack of decent cross stitching supplies, charts and kits at most fabric and/or craft stores. Not to mention the demise of so many of the cozy stitching stores.

And, to add insult to injury, I was in a JoAnn's in St. Louis with my daughter and while we were looking at the miles of scrap booking paraphernalia the lady running the sewing machine area asked what we were looking for. When I explained that we were just looking as neither of us was "in" to scrap booking but had been hoping for a better selection of cross stitching supplies, well believe it or not, her reply was, "why, we can do that now with a machine and it's even better!"

Needless to say, my daughter had to drag me away from the store, fearing my arrest!

darlene
WIP
The Last Supper on Black Aida
Mystonique

Post by Mystonique »

Try finding hardanger or tapestry supplies. There simply isn't any.

The internet is all fine and well except when you are not working to a chart and you need to physically SEE and feel the material to work out if it's what you need. Not to mention that even charts can be different when you see them in real life and returning to an online store is more expensive and time consuming.

The bottom line is that stores are trying to maximise profits without thinking about looking after their long term custom - in other words they care about your money, not you. Someone chasing a fad will spend a lot more in one transaction then someone who is refilling supplies for a long term hobby and hence the stores would rather the FAD buyers - which means they have to have the MOST of whatever the FAD is today to ensure they attract those customers. It's a sad result of over population and this thrall society has with fashion.
Myst..
JA Fan

Post by JA Fan »

Two or three months ago, I discovered Herrschners cross stitch store in Kitchener. As I mentioned in my previous post, I had only just got back into cross stitch. (after several years) I didn't buy anything on my first visit. A few weeks later, I went back with full intentions of buying some goodies. When I got there, I found an empty store with a note on the door saying the store was closed and all sales were now on line. :roll:
I too, like to physically see what I am buying and to lose a store when I had just found it was very frustrating. I wished with all my heart I had bought stuff the first time.

I saw a demonstration of machine embroidery at the Creative Festival in Toronto. This guy punched a lot of buttons and he stood back while the machine did all the work. I thought to myself, "where's the fun in that?" Not to mention there is nothing 'personal' about it.

I know we can't do anything about it all, but it's good to vent!
I think it's time for a cup of :tea:
WIP
Gold Collection Petite -- Cozy Cub
On hold:
HAED -- Bob Cratchit and Tiny Tim
Mabel Figworthy

Post by Mabel Figworthy »

I really like buying fabrics, threads, beads etc. somewhere where I can see them, handle them, put them together etc. When I was looking for the beads for Very berry, which had to match very very closely three different Caron threads, I was delighted when DH took me to Burford Needlecraft so I could see the beads and threads together. The shop was a bit more expensive than most online shops, but I was happy to pay that for the extra service of being able to handle the merchandise.

Having said that, some online shops are extremely helpful inmaking sure you have a correct match for a colours; it's not as good as being able to see it yourself, but it's definitely the next best thing -- Bobbie at Stitching Bits & Bobs has several times compared shades for me and helped me choose the right ones. And some of the LNS are unfortunately not just a little more expensive, but a LOT more expensive than online shops; sometimes nearly double the price for speciality threads :-(.

If I want to buy something that I really need to see, I now make a list and try and look at them at my annual outing to the Kintting & Stitching Show -- if I can bear to be that patient :-)
Visit Mabel's Fancies at www.mabelfigworthy.co.uk
WIPs
Elizabethan Beauty, RSN Certificate & Online
Waiting
Soli Deo Gloria, Mechthild, bling unicorn, goldwork & silk shading kits

Flights of Fancy (blog)
Mabel's FB page