Pen Pals

For all topics which do not fit in the other categories.

Moderators: rcperryls, Rose, karen4bells, Serinde, Alex

aj101

Pen Pals

Post by aj101 »

Just wondering, is there any where that we can list ourselves as interested in making penpals??

Reason I ask is I don't have many stitch-minded friends, so it would be great to have a few more really.

AJ xxxx
w.i.p's

snow queen fairy (only backstitching left to do)
Maia Geishas

Completed pieces:
Mother and child piece - 2009
Art Nouveau Lady - 2009
German Shephard Prayer - 2010
Proud Display (Lucie Heaton) - 2011
RosemaryH

Re: Pen Pals

Post by RosemaryH »

aj101 wrote:Just wondering, is there any where that we can list ourselves as interested in making penpals??

Reason I ask is I don't have many stitch-minded friends, so it would be great to have a few more really.

AJ xxxx

You have all of us on the forum now. Will this not satisfy your yearning to communicate with stitchy people? Not sure how people normally put themselves forward as penpals and whether it is better to be in contact with people of a similar age or not. Do you mean writing letters or e-mails? Anyway I hope that someone else will be along to help you.

Rosemary
I’m part of the Transworld Book Group!’
aj101

Post by aj101 »

Having the forum is great!! It is nice to see so many people encouraging each other and congratulating each other on fantastic finishes.

I just worry that the written word is fading fast what with emails, social networking sites etc.

AJ xxxx
w.i.p's

Maia Geishas

Completed pieces:
Art Nouveau Lady - 2009
RosemaryH

Post by RosemaryH »

aj101 wrote:Having the forum is great!! It is nice to see so many people encouraging each other and congratulating each other on fantastic finishes.

I just worry that the written word is fading fast what with emails, social networking sites etc.

AJ xxxx
Sounds like you want to correspond in the good "old fashioned" method of letter writing and I agree with you that it seems to have become almost a dying form of communication. E-mails and social networks seem to encourage short snappy contact rather than anything in depth.

Rosemary
I’m part of the Transworld Book Group!’
socialsue

Post by socialsue »

I write the old fashioned way to my grandchildren to encourage them to read and to write letters, if possible. My oldest grandson is not able to write complete sentences yet on paper and he is in grade 4. He is a genius when it comes to computer games, nintendo, electronic toys, etc... but when it comes to thinking and putting his thoughts down on paper, he isn't able to do that yet. Hopefully writing to him and having him to write back to us will improve his comprehension skills.

socialsue
tiffstitch

Post by tiffstitch »

That's really good Sue, a great way to keep in touch and hopefully improve his communication skills. I write to my Grandma a couple times a month generally.

I'd be happy to be a pen pal with you AJ.
aj101

Post by aj101 »

tiffstitch wrote:That's really good Sue, a great way to keep in touch and hopefully improve his communication skills. I write to my Grandma a couple times a month generally.

I'd be happy to be a pen pal with you AJ.
I will PM you my home address xx

AJ xxxx
w.i.p's

Maia Geishas

Completed pieces:
Art Nouveau Lady - 2009
stitchingmae

Post by stitchingmae »

I guess you could also list in your signature that you want penpals I wouldn't list the details but just to pm if someone is interested!
Ketta

Post by Ketta »

aj101 wrote:Having the forum is great!! It is nice to see so many people encouraging each other and congratulating each other on fantastic finishes.

AJ xxxx
I totally agree! I had several penpals for years, and with the internet, it sorta died out. I miss all of mine... had a couple in the UK, one in Australia, one in Denmark and a couple from Germany. *sigh* I really miss getting letters from them all.
Blog: http://ketta-ketta.blogspot.com/" target="_blank" target="_blank

WIP: http://www.crossstitchforum.com/viewtop ... =6&t=12786" target="_blank" target="_blank (bug)

http://www.crossstitchforum.com/viewtop ... =6&t=13419" target="_blank (Serenity)
aj101

Post by aj101 »

[/quote]I totally agree! I had several penpals for years, and with the internet, it sorta died out. I miss all of mine... had a couple in the UK, one in Australia, one in Denmark and a couple from Germany. *sigh* I really miss getting letters from them all.[/quote]

PM me your address Ketta, I will gladly be a pen pal.

AJ xxxx
w.i.p's

Maia Geishas

Completed pieces:
Art Nouveau Lady - 2009
Squirrel

Post by Squirrel »

I have several pen pals and enjoy it heaps. Getting a letter in the post box is so special.

I would love to join in so please PM me with any addresses and I will do my best to answer you quickly.

The only reason I say that is I am moving from Melbourne to Brisbane in Queensland in JUne, and life is beginning to get a bit complicated as I try to down size from a 2bed unit to a granny flat - essentially a bed sit with kitchen attached. Letter writing and stittching are a big help.

Thanks AJ for starting this thread.

Sally
Sally in Brisbane Australia

WIPS
Christmas Stocking from World of Cross Stitching mag. 262
rcperryls

Post by rcperryls »

Long ago and far away I had a penpal in Australia and one in Israel. Lost contact so many years ago. Emails and forums like this are so easy and fast, but it was so much fun to get letters and send them. I certainly have the time to do that now. I will also be glad to send letters (what fun looking for pretty stationary again :) ) to anyone who pms me their address too.

Just thinking about letters reminds me of how wonderful it is to read the letters of Jane Austen and Abigal Adams to learn about their lives and how that is something that is truly a lost art.

AJ , wonderful thread and wonderful idea.

Carole
WIPs
Star Wars Afghan:Chewbaca
HAEDs:
O Kitten Tree
Dancing with the Cat
Everything else "on hold"
2022 Finished: Star Wars Afghan: Princess Leia, Obi-Wan Kenobi, Yoda, Finn, Rey, Poe, Han Solo,Darth Vader, BB8,Luke Skywalker
talenaya

Post by talenaya »

Sign me up as well. Just PM your addys. I miss letter writing.
:kitty:Victoria :kitty:

:wip:
HEAD: Nala
tiffstitch

Post by tiffstitch »

talenaya wrote:Sign me up as well. Just PM your addys. I miss letter writing.
Likewise, I'm happy to be a pen pal for anyone!
Squirrel

Post by Squirrel »

I am more than happy to write letters and get to know stitchy friends from here via snail mail.

Please PM me your addresses and watch the postie.

Sally
Sally in Brisbane Australia

WIPS
Christmas Stocking from World of Cross Stitching mag. 262
Angel

Post by Angel »

I'm more than happy to gather a few penpals! I love penpalling!

You know...if there's a few people interested in becoming penpals...maybe a thread in the exchange section would help? You could use the thread for the sole purpose of matching people up, so there'd be no chit chat like this, just people listing that they want penpals, where they're happy to write to and maybe a little information about them? Maybe even using a form such as:
Where you're from:
Any other hobbies:
Any pets/Children/Other half:
Favourite colour:
Favourite things to stitch:
Anything else:
Juel

Post by Juel »

I would also enjoy another pen pal or two. I have 3 I can talk to about knitting, but none to talk to about stitching ;)
I find it easier to have someone around my own age, I think talking about studies and such things ;)

Anyone between 20 and 30 interested in being my pen pal? Please Pm me ;)
W.I.P
Kreimhild's Revenge - Haed
Das Rheingold - Haed
Yule Angel -Haed
QS Theatre of the Absurd - Haed
Starlight - Haed
Eternal Promise - Haed

Finished
SK Storykeeper, QS Book End Kitties (Haed)

My Blog
rcperryls

Post by rcperryls »

I like your suggestion for how to "introduce" ourselves. I am off to the stationary store tomorrow. I don't want to just type my letters on the computer and print them and mail them. I used to love having pretty stationary. So hopefully, I will get some letters written on the week-end and see what happens.
I'm so verbal (which ya'll probably already figured out) that I'll have to be careful, because I don't know what the postage will be.

:wub:
Carole
WIPs
Star Wars Afghan:Chewbaca
HAEDs:
O Kitten Tree
Dancing with the Cat
Everything else "on hold"
2022 Finished: Star Wars Afghan: Princess Leia, Obi-Wan Kenobi, Yoda, Finn, Rey, Poe, Han Solo,Darth Vader, BB8,Luke Skywalker
vanessanjf

Post by vanessanjf »

Angel wrote:I'm more than happy to gather a few penpals! I love penpalling!

You know...if there's a few people interested in becoming penpals...maybe a thread in the exchange section would help? You could use the thread for the sole purpose of matching people up, so there'd be no chit chat like this, just people listing that they want penpals, where they're happy to write to and maybe a little information about them? Maybe even using a form such as:
Where you're from:
Any other hobbies:
Any pets/Children/Other half:
Favourite colour:
Favourite things to stitch:
Anything else:
I think that is a great idea Angel. I too would love a few penpals. Anyone interested then please PM me your address :D
Vanessa

A little progress every day adds up to big results

WIP
The adoration of the kings- Golden kite completed
Juel

Post by Juel »

I completely forgot about Angels list :oops:

Where you're willing to write to: Everywhere :) Especially I'd love to have one from Scandinavia, because I'd love to spent a year there during my studies, so I think it would be nice to have someone who can tell me things about living there

Where you're from: Germany

Any other hobbies: Besides stitching... Knitting, reading (fantasy, crime), listening to music (rock, metal, folk), maths (now this is going to chase some people away :D )

Any pets/Children/Other half: My boyfriend and I have a djungarian hamster (a very small hamster, we call them "dwarf hamster" here, but I'm not sure about the translation of this, dwarf hamster sounds funny), but Paula lives at my boyfriends house

Favourite colour: Violet, deep red, deep blue

Favourite things to stitch: I fear I have a weakness about heroic ladies with long hair :D

Anything else: I'm 20, I finished school last year and I'm studying mathematics (bachelor of science) at university (at the moment I'm doing physics as well)
I'd love to have someone around my own age to write to (not much older than 30)
W.I.P
Kreimhild's Revenge - Haed
Das Rheingold - Haed
Yule Angel -Haed
QS Theatre of the Absurd - Haed
Starlight - Haed
Eternal Promise - Haed

Finished
SK Storykeeper, QS Book End Kitties (Haed)

My Blog