Seduced by a kingfisher

For all topics which do not fit in the other categories.

Moderators: rcperryls, Rose, karen4bells, Serinde, Alex

Mabel Figworthy

Seduced by a kingfisher

Post by Mabel Figworthy »

eBay is great ... honestly ... I love it ... but it does throw an awful lot of temptation my way.

I mean, how could I possibly resist this John Merry kingfisher for a mere £4 plus postage?

I know, I know, there's the door sign and the afghan and the white rose sampler -- but this is beautiful and just the right size in that it's a bit bigger than the things I usually do but not too big.

Can anyone think of any other suitable excuses to use when a husband wonders about the parcels one is receiving :? ?

:lol: :lol: :lol:
Last edited by Mabel Figworthy on Sat Apr 19, 2008 11:02 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Jilly

Post by Jilly »

That is wonderful! and such a bargain too :D

Hmmm excuses for parcels.
Late birthday presents- good for at least 6 months after the day, so you are fine for a long while.
Then, early birthday presents :lol:
~threadbear~

Post by ~threadbear~ »

Oh that is lovely Mabel!
I look forward to seeing that one in progress.

Excuses ... no, no, excuses aren't the way to go here. Enthusiasm! You must enthuse about the money you have saved him. Emphasis goes onto the savings rather than the spending! :lol: :lol: :lol:
:choc: There's nothing better than a good friend, except a good friend with CHOCOLATE! :dance:
:choc: Forget love! I'd rather fall in CHOCOLATE! :wub:

Current :wip:
With Faith :dance:
Dogs
Snow Leopard (Haed)
Big Cats

Blog
mags

Post by mags »

Oh lovely bargain. I can see we are all going to be doing kingfishers soon :lol:

Excuses - a bargain present for somebody :lol:
mags

WIPs:
Heritage Tower Bridge (yes still :roll: )
various bits and bobs
Mabel Figworthy

Sometimes being blatant does the trick, so I just let my husband read this thread -- he had to laugh so much that the kingfisher passed practically without comment :-)
mags

Post by mags »

:lol: :lol: :lol:
mags

WIPs:
various bits and bobs
Jenny-M

Post by Jenny-M »

Long live Ebay- unfortunately I have to go through hubbys paypal so don't get away with parcels magicaly appearing :cry: Good for the bank account though!

Its lovely, I love kingfishers, Reminds me of holidays on the Norfolk Broads, its the only place iv'e actually seen one **.....drifts into wonderful childhood memories....**

I have seen a kingfisher design in a magazine recently that wants to be on my to do list........... don't think i'll ever get to the bottom of it!!
Rose

Post by Rose »

Jenny there is no bottom to a todo list!!!!

Kingfisher is a beauty.

Excuses no excuse just ask him how much he spent on tools, or fishing supplies, or the motorcycle or the snowmobiles. When the tides turn on how much was spent they tend to get very quiet.
If you are looking for some one to help change you, look in the mirror
mauveme

Post by mauveme »

4quid is squat for something really beautiful.
Linda
Mabel Figworthy

Rose wrote:Jenny there is no bottom to a todo list!!!!
Absolutely true -- I've just decided to turn from my stack of little projects to the larger ones I've got lined up and there, lurking in an old magazine, is a small art nouveau rose design that I've simply got to do...
Rose wrote:Excuses no excuse just ask him how much he spent on tools, or fishing supplies, or the motorcycle or the snowmobiles. When the tides turn on how much was spent they tend to get very quiet.
Unfortunately his hobby (vintage cars) is also our business, so they can all be explained as business expenses :-)

No, he's very good about all this really, he likes me enjoying my hobby and got me the three workshops at the craft fair for my birthday; and he usually waits for his birthday, which also happens to be our anniversary, for me to get him something vintage car related *goes into (fairly) recently married person's revery about perfection of partner* :oops:
Rose

Post by Rose »

yes I get the it is for the business excuse also but truely it is just an excuse.

I hate to burst your (newly married) bubble but there are no perfect partners some just aren't as bad as others. :P Mine is a pretty good one.
If you are looking for some one to help change you, look in the mirror
Mabel Figworthy

My Kingfisher arrived in the post this morning! And also my parcel from Tandem which should contain the Qsnaps, so I think I'll combine the two :-)

First some work to finish though, which I am doing at the moment in between writing to the forum, and then after lunch a Good Stitching Session!

I'm hoping to make it into a cushion but have never done that before -- any tips?
crossstitchpro

Post by crossstitchpro »

I tell my husband it's cheaper than therapy or jewelry (most of the time...) :lol:

Lori
www.crossstitchpro.com
Hundreds of Patterns to Download.
Serinde

Post by Serinde »

Cushions aren't difficult. Two tips I've used successfully:

1. When you are sewing the design to the backing fabric, go around the corners at lease twice: that's where the greatest stress on the stitching and fabric is. Also remember to clip the excess fabric at the corner on the diagonal before you turn it right side out.

2. Use a pillow form about an inch or two bigger than the size of the cover for a plumper pillow.

I should also add this for those who might put their stitching into local judged shows: pillows need to have an opening of some sort along part of one side: a zipper (eeeks!), buttons, press-studs, something. For all the rest of us, ladder stitch usually does the job! 8)
Mabel Figworthy

Thanks Serinde, that's so helpful! Just one question (sorry, I never learned to sew in English :-)) -- what's ladder stitch?
Serinde

Post by Serinde »

Hoist on one's own petard! I never learned to sew in English either. :lol: So have a look here:
http://www.embroiderersguild.com/stitch ... adder.html
mags

Post by mags »

That is what I use on my biscornus (and ATCs :wink: )
mags

WIPs:
various bits and bobs