Moments of bliss

For all topics which do not fit in the other categories.

Moderators: rcperryls, Rose, karen4bells, Serinde, Alex

Mabel Figworthy

Moments of bliss

Post by Mabel Figworthy »

My husband dropped me off in town to go to the bank while he took the car for its MOT, but then called me that it was going to take rather longer than expected, so I walked to the park, found myself a nice bench in the spring sun, and got out my handbag project.
Aaaaahhhhh -- bliss!

Well...

until it started hailing and I had to take refuge in the bandstand :-)
Jilly

Post by Jilly »

That sums up the weather at the moment :lol:
mags

Post by mags »

Yes it has been lovely here today but DH got caught in a hail shower about 5 miles away - didn't see it here :D
mags

WIPs:
Heritage Tower Bridge (yes still :roll: )
various bits and bobs
SusanF

Post by SusanF »

Yesterday we had bright sunshine with snow falling at the same time. Iwas really strange.
Susan

My Stitchy blog: SF Stitch
(updated 16th April 2010)
~threadbear~

Post by ~threadbear~ »

Horrible weather here, but hopefully you were still able to stitch in the bandstand Mabel?
:D
:choc: There's nothing better than a good friend, except a good friend with CHOCOLATE! :dance:
:choc: Forget love! I'd rather fall in CHOCOLATE! :wub:

Current :wip:
With Faith :dance:
Dogs
Snow Leopard (Haed)
Big Cats

Blog
Rose

Post by Rose »

Well you came prepared for the afternoon but the darn weather had to make an interruption.

Weather here has been very nice cool but with lots of sunshine. :P
If you are looking for some one to help change you, look in the mirror
lacemaker2004

Post by lacemaker2004 »

I'm with Rose....literally....I'm in San Diego and was looking forward to some nice warm weather in comparison to our east coast stuff....but I had to go buy a sweater...It's cool here! but the flowers are wonderful!!!!!!!!
~threadbear~

Post by ~threadbear~ »

Our poor spring flowers have been killed off by the weather. :cry: It is such a shame.
:choc: There's nothing better than a good friend, except a good friend with CHOCOLATE! :dance:

Dogs
Snow Leopard (Haed)
Big Cats

Blog
coffee_freak

Post by coffee_freak »

it's been raining here in Maryland too...i can't wait for a sunny spring day so i can stitch outside too
If you get a comment of a :smile:,I must be holding my :coffee:
http://coffeecupcakescrossstitch.blogspot.com/
WIP:
Joan Elliot Spring Fairy
Cupcakes
Snuggle Up
2012 HD's
Bohemia
Fairy Friend
Mabel Figworthy

~threadbear~ wrote:Our poor spring flowers have been killed off by the weather. :cry: It is such a shame.
The tulips seems to have recovered all right but the daffs definitely didn't like being burdened with two inches of snow :( And I was so hoping to show off th garden to my mum when she visits. Oh well, I'll have to show her some cross- stitched flowers instead :-)
~threadbear~

Post by ~threadbear~ »

Haha, I remember one year, many moons ago now, when my Dad (not the world's most keenest of gardeners) decided to stick some plastic flowers in the garden! :shock: He wanted a nice display of colour ... he was most upset when the weather bleached and washed out the colours!

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Dogs
Snow Leopard (Haed)
Big Cats

Blog
Mabel Figworthy

Got a bit of time off this afternoon (working tonight :( ) so I'm making a cup of tea and will then install myself at the dining room table (which holds a selection of my stitching bits and pieces plus lots of graph paper etc.) with a view of the (at present) sundrenched garden and the kingfisher kit as an encouragement to finish the butterfly and its fellow unfinished mini projects.

There are worse ways to while away an hour :-)
Rose

Post by Rose »

Oh gee whiz Mabel sounds like a terrible burden to have to bear....will you make it?????? :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
If you are looking for some one to help change you, look in the mirror
Serinde

Post by Serinde »

Yeah, Rose. Really. Listen, Mabel: we are your friends. We will help you shoulder any burden. Even sunlit gardens and supportive stitching. :shock: 8) (for the unaccustomed sunlight) and :lol: :lol:
Mabel Figworthy

Thanks ladies, it's great to have your support in these times of tribulation :-)

Talking of supportive stitching, I'm trying to introduce some of the ladies in church who do all sorts of crafts to the joys of cross stitch, whether or not with beads and ribbons and things. So I've organised some workshops at my house, one for embellished cross stitch and one for calligraphy and gilding (another hobby of mine).

Any suggestions for the cross stitch one? Has anyone else tried to get a (small) group of complete novices to complete something they can feel proud of in no more than an hour and a half?

I have used stitching paper for our church's annual Christmas Craft Fair, where children (and adults) from the village are invited to come and make Christmas cards and decorations using a variety of crafts. Someone later said she'd never seen such a quiet table at the craft afternoon -- all those children sitting there concentrating with their tongues peeping out, stitching holly leaves for a gift tag :-)
carolyn61

Post by carolyn61 »

I think that you've got a great idea. Cross stitching is a wonderful "art" that needs to be passed to the next generation. It's funny, about 10 years ago, when my sister taught me to stitch, it seemed that there were needlework shops everywhere and you could always get supplies at any of the larger stores. Now not only are the local needle shops dissappearing but some of thediscount stores no longer even carry the basics. Our Walmart no longer sells floss. We do have one local needleshop but I've only been there once and they have since moved to a new location. I plan on going out for a visit and thorough inspection soon.
The ladies at my church all love my cross stitch but not one thinks she could ever find the time to do it. The only other person I've met who cross stitches (and other needlework) was a lady I worked with. Strange isn't it? The stayat-home moms felt they had no time but the working mom did. Maybe it's just out west here that interest seems to have dissapated. Maybe it's just my circle of friends. I'm the only homebody that enjoys doing the stitching, crocheting, baking and other "domestic" things (as one friend called it). LOL. Anyway, I wish you all the best. As far as I am concerned, the world needs more stitchers of all ages.Okay, I'm climbing off my preaching podiumnow.
I would like you all to know that this forum has been a wonderful blessing to me. You've made me laugh and I've learned alot from you. It is nice to have somewhere to go with questions. I look forward everyday to sitting down and reading what you have to share. It's like getting letters from friends. Thanks everyone.

Carolyn
Mabel Figworthy

Thanks for your encouragement, Carolyn; I hope I'll get enough people together (of either sex -- I'd be quite happy for some of the men to join in!) to make a viable group.

We've got some stay-at-home mums, whom I'm targeting with an afternoon session, and working mums and dads, for whom there'll be an evening session. I'm in the blessed position of working from home with my husband, so that I can rearrange my working day to some extent (although I still don't get quite enough stitching done :-))

Glad to hear you're enjoying the forum so much; it's great fun to visit every few hours or so and just sneak a look at the latest posts, isn't it?