Scarlet Quince?

For all topics which do not fit in the other categories.

Moderators: rcperryls, Rose, karen4bells, Serinde, Alex

LaurenR

Scarlet Quince?

Post by LaurenR »

So all this talk of stash has me thinking about my next project- I think i might want ot tackle something larger.

Has anyone stitched a Scarlet Quince chart?

Were you happy with it? Is is comprable to a Haed is size and detail?

Any info would help. :) I would love to stithc *one* of my favorite paintings. (oh but how to choose just one)
ohstitcher

Re: Scarlet Quince?

Post by ohstitcher »

I would like any opinions of SQ I have had my eye on one of her patterns and am wondering of the quality of the finished piece
There is something about the outside of a horse that is good for the inside of man ~ Winston Churchill~
GeekyRach

Post by GeekyRach »

I'm stitching a Scarlet Quince piece at the moment, there's some pictures in my SAL thread "Rach's Race to Christmas" if you want to have a look at how it's coming out. They are a lot more complex than HAEDs, the one I'm doing has 120 colours and most of them are blends, and there's an awful lot of confetti! It's totally worth it though, from a few paces away it looks like an oil painting, the detail is absolutely stunning!
WIP
HAED Calico Kitty

To Start 2013
HAED Moo Quack Moo
SQ 8 Cent Liberty
SQ Cat In Window
Gecko Rouge Flower Abstract
Gecko Rouge Morning Glow

Plus my HUUUUUGE box of small UFOs which I will shrink this year!
LaurenR

Post by LaurenR »

thank you!! that is what I wanted to know- if it looks like an oil painting.

What thread count are you stitching on?

I normally stitch over 1 on 32 with only 1 thread so blended colors would be a problem for me. I might have to stitch over 2...hmm.

They have some of my favorite works of art...of course the one I want ot stitch is virtually all green. YIKES.
GeekyRach

Post by GeekyRach »

I'm stitching 2 over 1 on 20 count evenweave, personally I think anything smaller and it wouldn't look as intricate, although 18 count may be ok. There's a great page on the Scarlet Quince site that shows examples of blends on different counts, you can see some on smaller counts where they stitch each half of the cross a different colour, it may help you decide what to go for. Here's a link: http://www.scarletquince.com/floss_coverage.php" target="_blank" target="_blank

Which picture is it you're interested in doing? I love peeking at other people's future projects! :D
WIP
HAED Calico Kitty

To Start 2013
HAED Moo Quack Moo
SQ 8 Cent Liberty
SQ Cat In Window
Gecko Rouge Morning Glow

LaurenR

Post by LaurenR »

I did read the tutorial and doing the half of each stitch sounds like a headache to me.

do you stitch it with parking? Ive never done that.

I am thinking of doing fragonard's "the swing" I absolutely love his work- and this piece in particular because it is so sensual. But i know i would want to stitch the whole piece and not just the detail version...and it would likely take me more than 5 years.

Thank you for the advice regarding your thread count. yes likely i would move down to an 18 count thread especially because of the blends.... I think im just not sure i want ot commit but I just adore that work of art.
kimkat_tkl

Post by kimkat_tkl »

I'm also working on a SQ design and I'm loving the way it's coming out. Its a Degas painting (My sal thread is below in my sign.) and the only thing I would say is that it is coming out a bit darker than the original pictures I have seen of the painting.
GeekyRach

Post by GeekyRach »

I don't stitch with parking, I tried it when I started but there were so many colours they just kept getting in the way! What I do is pick a section that I'm going to stitch, start with whatever colour's in the left bottom corner and stitch all of it in that section, then the next colour along, and so on. it probably takes twice as long as parking but it works for me! :)

And that picture is absolutely stunning! I've never seen it before, I agree that it would take a loooong time to stitch! :shock:
WIP
HAED Calico Kitty

To Start 2013
HAED Moo Quack Moo
SQ 8 Cent Liberty
SQ Cat In Window
Gecko Rouge Morning Glow

Listessa

Post by Listessa »

I LOVE looking at the Scarlet Quince webpage. There are so many cool patterns I want to try! They look so amazing and detailed. :)
kousalya

Post by kousalya »

Yes i also watching Scarlet Quince webpage. It was very nice. :roll:

Oil Paintings
Parksfarm

Post by Parksfarm »

Oh, darn you people!!! :wink:

I've never heard of this company until now - I just placed my first order...
Dana

WIPs

HAEDS
Lovers, Christmas Fairy, Goblins Fae Guide, Autumn Pears, Ride the Wind, Chimera Black Rose, Surfers Dream, Witching Hour, QS Nostlagy, Lg Treasure Hunt Bookshelf, Owen

Chatelaine
Konstantinople Hamam, Serengeti, Alpine Seasons
Slinky

Post by Slinky »

Parksfarm wrote:Oh, darn you people!!! :wink:

I've never heard of this company until now - I just placed my first order...
You did? Spill! Which design?

This is my favourite design. Artecy also carries it, a little less detailed and a LOT cheaper, but either way I've not got the time to stitch it any time soon!
~ girls with dreams grow into women with vision ~

WIPs:
The Sweetheart Tree 12 Days of Christmas
Sharon Pope's Gingerbread Cottage
Chatelaine Christmas Mystery 2011
Parksfarm

Post by Parksfarm »

I bought The Arab Tent... I already had the Sporting Masters version but this one is so much more detailed! :)
Dana

WIPs

HAEDS
Lovers, Christmas Fairy, Goblins Fae Guide, Autumn Pears, Ride the Wind, Chimera Black Rose, Surfers Dream, Witching Hour, QS Nostlagy, Lg Treasure Hunt Bookshelf, Owen

Chatelaine
Parksfarm

Post by Parksfarm »

I like the one you want to do, it's cool!
Dana

WIPs

HAEDS

Chatelaine
ohstitcher

Post by ohstitcher »

I am doing Arab Tent also but by Golden kite. You will love working on this and please let us see your progress. I would love to see how the 2 compare.
There is something about the outside of a horse that is good for the inside of man ~ Winston Churchill~
Nachstenliebe

Post by Nachstenliebe »

oooo that's great! Two stitchers stitching the same portrait by different designers.. I'm pretty sure that warrants a special thread! As for my opinion on Scarlet Quince. I've never stitched any of their designs but the ones I've seen on this forum look amazing! You have to be comfortable with blending threads though, that's the biggest gripe I've heard about the designs
Faith
Parksfarm

Post by Parksfarm »

Wow, so that's three different designers then that I know about that did The Arab Tent... Not sure when I'll start mine but I'd love to see pictures of yours!
Dana

WIPs

HAEDS

Chatelaine
ohstitcher

Post by ohstitcher »

Ask and you shall receive
here is where I am at the moment
and here is where I was showing the whole column
The detail in this chart is amazing I am looking forward to watching your progress
elsanna

Post by elsanna »

Wow, nice work. Looking forward to see more :applesauce: :applesauce: Anna
Parksfarm

Post by Parksfarm »

Nice work! Gosh, that makes me want to start mine as soon as it gets here, lol. But I promised myself that since there are so many blended colors and such, that I wouldn't start it until my Wentzler dragon is done because it is also mostly blended colors... I don't want to make it so that I'm not having fun stitching. :roll:
Dana

WIPs

HAEDS

Chatelaine