Q-snap / Universal Craft frames cheap on eBay

For all topics which do not fit in the other categories.

Moderators: rcperryls, Rose, karen4bells, Serinde, Alex

Mabel Figworthy

Q-snap / Universal Craft frames cheap on eBay

Post by Mabel Figworthy »

Looking for the 6 or 8-inch Q-snap frame on eBay, I found these 11 and 17 inch frames. So far they are only £5.50 for the two of them including p&p if you're in the UK, which seems jolly good value. They're too big for me, but I thought some of you who do bigger projects might be interested.
Serinde

Post by Serinde »

Yipes, that's tempting.
nicgoss

Post by nicgoss »

Thanks for the tip! I think I'll definitely be purchasing these in the near future! :D
Nic x

-----------------
Work in Progress

HAED 'Yes'
HAED 'Ballerina Sisters
HAED 'Swans Song'
HAED 'Shh'
Mystic Stitch 'Dawn's Song'
New York @ Night
nicgoss

Post by nicgoss »

Hi guys,

I'm probably being really silly :shock: :roll: :roll: but I'm gonna be doing a large HAE design which is 21in x 12in (with extra aida at least 3 inches round picture).

What size q-snap frame do I need? I've never used them before, so any advice would be great!

Cheers x
Nic x

-----------------
Work in Progress

HAED 'Yes'
HAED 'Ballerina Sisters
HAED 'Swans Song'
HAED 'Shh'
New York @ Night
Rose

Post by Rose »

This is going to depend on how you want to work. Do you want to just put it on and stitch or will you be ok with moving the frame? What size do you like to use when you are doing your other projects? You have to get a size that you are comfortable with. I really injoy working with the 14 in size.
If you are looking for some one to help change you, look in the mirror
carolyn61

Post by carolyn61 »

I'm glad this topic came up. I've had lots of questions about these frames that I've been anxious to ask stitchers who use them. So here goes...
How does the fabric attatch to the frames? Do you just roll and clamp (like hair in a curling iron) or do you have to tape it first? What about the material in the corners? Does it bunch up?
I've only worked with scroll frames and have been unhappy with the fact that you couldn't adjust the tension on the sides. Do the Q-Snaps really hold the material securly or does it slip? Would the 17" frame work with much wider fabric (like 18x27") or would I need to get a bigger one?
I look forward to your input.

Carolyn
BTW, Rose, I love your quotes. Good advice!
Rose

Post by Rose »

The q-snaps are a very wonderful new frame.

The clamps that come with the frame are all that you need one for each side. You lay the fabric across the tubes and then the clamps hold the fabric very well all on its own no wrapping or taping needed. It is very much like the hoops only easier to attach and without the creases. The corners do not bunch up .

I tried scroll frames and hated the loose sides. These do hold your fabric in all directions and the size of the frame is optional as it is so easy to move all over the piece you are working on so however large you want to work with is the size you choose. I like the 14X14 but have used the 17 it is just sometimes hard to reach the very middle stitches and so far I don't have a holder that has worked for me yet. I am doing some expermenting though so hope to find a good solution.
If you are looking for some one to help change you, look in the mirror
Serinde

Post by Serinde »

I have used the 17x17 for a large Ink Circles project and found it very useful. It is large enough to leave about 1.5 inches of blank fabric around the design. The fabric doesn't bunch up and no marks are left on the fabric, no matter how long you leave it in the frame. Getting the fabric really centered can be a chore, and took me several attempts. But once it was on the frame, working the piece has been great: tension holds up well. My only criticism is that sliding the grippers off the fabric is difficult, and I'm not at all sure I would want to be sliding them over completed stitching.

There are two other possibilities you might want to think about
1. stretcher frames, which is inexpensive and uses tacks to attach the fabric to the sides. http://www.traditionalstitches.com/Merc ... Code=Hoops

2. Slate frames. These are often recommended by various embroiderers' guilds. See here for an example: http://www.stitchdirect.com/shopWebSite ... php?cat=62

HAE designs are a huge investment in time and effort! Taking time to think about the mechanics (as opposed to the pleasures!) is very smart!
Last edited by Serinde on Tue Apr 08, 2008 12:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
nicgoss

Post by nicgoss »

Thanks for the advice guys! I think i'm gonna buy the 17x17 q snap frame and give that a go :lol:
Nic x

-----------------
Work in Progress

HAED 'Yes'
HAED 'Ballerina Sisters
HAED 'Swans Song'
HAED 'Shh'
New York @ Night