help: running out of thread

For all topics which do not fit in the other categories.

Moderators: rcperryls, Rose, karen4bells, Serinde, Alex

starberry

help: running out of thread

Post by starberry »

Hi,
I just started cross stitch as a new hobby.
I bought one of those little kits from the craftstore and I am going fine except for I always run out of string.
Am I doing it wrong? I think it might be because I jump from section to section leaving lts of string on the back, could this be why?
Am i supposed to cut the thread after each little section and then rethread it??

Thanks
Mabel Figworthy

Post by Mabel Figworthy »

Hi Starberry, and welcome to the forum!

Usually kit manufacturers make sure there's enough thread so it may be that you do take it too far along the back, although if they are fairly small projects that shouldn't really make all that much of a difference (it does look a lot nicer to start each section of a colour afresh, though, but I must admit that I am quite often tempted just to carry the thread along to the next section. Sometimes I even give in to the temptation -- but don't tell the others!)

Another thing it might be -- does it tell you how many strands to use? If the kit is meant to be stitched with 2 strands and you're using 3, that might account for it.

Also -- and do please forgive me if you are already well beyond this -- I have known people who had just taken up cross stitch who didn't know you had to divide the thread at all, and using the whole thread of course would use it up far more quickly.

Hope this helps, and that you'll get a lot of pleasure and enjoyment out of your new hobby!

By the way, if you don't carry the thread too far and use the right numbers of strands and still run out, try contacting the manufacturers -- I've been told they're usually quite happy to send you some more thread.
starberry

Post by starberry »

um, divide the thread?
do i just pull it apart?
that would make sense lol
Mabel Figworthy

Post by Mabel Figworthy »

If it's an ordinary cross stitch kit it probably uses a thread known as 'stranded cotton'. It consists of 6 strands, which you first pull apart (hold the whole thread between finger and thumb, then with other hand take hold of a strand and gently puul it out) and then you recombine as many strands as the design calls for (usually 2, but on fine fabrics or for effect often just 1, and on courser fabrics 3 or anything up to all six of them).

Does it say anywhere in the instructions how many strands to use? Also note that if there is any backstitch in the design, it will usually (though not always) be done with fewer strands than the cross stitch.

Good luck!
starberry

Post by starberry »

it doesnt say but i'll give it a try
Rose

Post by Rose »

I think that Mabel has you going in the correct direction. My first thought was to ask if you were dividing the thread properly. I have know many many people to start out and not realize that the thread had to be divided. If you have more questions please ask.
If you are looking for some one to help change you, look in the mirror
mags

Post by mags »

Hello starberry and welcome :D

You've had some good advice from others - hope this has helped and if you need any further help, don't hesitate to ask. I'm sure you'll soon be as hooked as the rest of us. :lol:

Look forward to seeing you again.
mags

WIPs:
Heritage Tower Bridge (yes still :roll: )
various bits and bobs