Angel show Angel art?

Moderators: rcperryls, Rose, karen4bells, Serinde, Alex

Mabel Figworthy

Re: Angel show Angel art?

Post by Mabel Figworthy »

Boo!to your second art teacher for undermining your confidence. Perhaps he/she could take lessons from Agi about how to motivate students :-)

That drawing is really impressive, Angel, it's got character and individuality -- well done! Do try and turn some of the drawings into patterns/charts; they'd make lovely projects. You could use graph paper or a demo of one of those stitch programs. Good luck on yet another creative activity :-)!
Visit Mabel's Fancies at www.mabelfigworthy.co.uk
WIPs
Elizabethan Beauty, RSN Certificate & Online
Waiting
Soli Deo Gloria, Mechthild, bling unicorn, goldwork & silk shading kits

Flights of Fancy (blog)
Mabel's FB page
sammy_v

Post by sammy_v »

Ur art teacher was so wrong to knock ur confidence, u have a wonderful talent there and i really think u should keep at it. I love the pic above it has alot of character about it! Well done Angel and i really think Mags idea about challenging each other to help with motivation is a great idea. :applesauce: :applesauce: :applesauce: :applesauce:
Serinde

Post by Serinde »

That drawing has real character. Well observed. Not to mention the grinning pumpkin badge! :applesauce:
carolyn61

Post by carolyn61 »

You really should keep on with this Angel. If it is something you enjoy, you should keep at it. I think your work is very special. We will cheer you on. You know us, we always want more!
Carolyn
Angel

Post by Angel »

I doodled as a kid, but never really much, then I started highschool and was a confident drawer, but only in my style and never colouring in, so my wonderful art teacher ran two lessons at the saem time, one for the class and one just for me. Made a work book up to cover all the areas I wasn't too confident in and I worked through it while she ran the main class, so we were learning the same things, just in different ways. And oh guys, you should have seen how good I got! Never as good as some of the art students, but I improved so much.

Then she left and Mrs Keen replaced her and the first thing she did was slate everything about my favourite teacher, so I instantly disliked her. Of course she trashed my workbook and had me follow the rest of the class, which I can understand, but I suffered from it, but there was so much more to it. The experiance my entire class will never forget was halfway through the year when I stopped drawing for good. All through the year all she did was undermine me and tell me I sucked. She opened an afterschool art club and I joined, only for her to ignore me completly in favour of the students who were actually selling art at the time.

But this experiance was the worst. We were doing portraits and I took mine to her. It's crap, went back and re-did it FIVE times. Crap. One of my friends took hers over, now I thought mine was better, but the teacher said hers was wonderful, so I despaired and asked her to do mine for me, which she did. I took it to HER and...Crap go back and actually put some effort into it this time or stop wasting my time.

I stopped wasting her time.
Never picked up a pencil again till I'd finished college.

But these...they're nothing compared to what I used to be like and It's kind of disheartening because I know now that I was good. Not wonderful like some people, but with the right teacher I could be an amazing drawer by now. It really makes me angry, especially as pretty much everyone says what I'm doing now is good, although I should work on some things.

*pretends to work voodoo on the evil teacher*

Challenging each other sounds great. Although I should probably finish that one before I take a challenge. I just have the fingers to do and then colour him in. It as only requested ...november... :P

I'll have a look at turning the coloured ones into charts for you ^_^
Rose

Post by Rose »

Well I don't want to talk bad about a person I don't know but, she was not a teacher she was a body to fill a space. No teacher would ever have derided a student that was making an effort. If it wasn't a style that she favored fine, but to be so overtly snippy is a sign of an insecure person that can't teach with any amount of knowledge.
If you are looking for some one to help change you, look in the mirror
agi

Post by agi »

Oh, it is so sad to hear about some people who only bring disgrace to my wonderful profession. It is one thing to be able to deal with some kids separately or not, but completely another thing to humiliate children! It makes me angry all the time. And, alas, how many "teachers" like that have I seen, even among my own colleagues!

Just a little sidetrack: we had to vote a month ago about changing the pedagogical programme of our school, because the directors thought we should include a new point: that we will accept disabled children in the future. Like those with poor eyesight, hearing problem and using wheelchairs etc.
Some teachers (they dare to call themselves teachers!) voted NO, because it would give us extra work. It is difficult. Now that made me so angry... Our job should be all about helping. But some people use it az an opportunity to boss over smaller ones. :( :evil:
Agi

"The world, as a colourful knot of threads, has turned into a memory, and now you cannot be sure whether it was real."
(Géza Ottlik, Hungarian writer)

My blog
mags

Post by mags »

Oh BOO HISS to that so-called teacher, Angel.

From what we have seen you have done some wonderful drawings - do take it up again, and show us.
mags

WIPs:
Heritage Tower Bridge (yes still :roll: )
various bits and bobs
Angel

Post by Angel »

There are some evil people calling themselves teachers. I won't even tell you about my R.E teacher. But it just shows you, when you find a good teacher how truly valuable they are. Like I'll never forget my drama teacher/head of year. He supported me 100% even down to sending me a postcard when he heard I had taken up amature dramatics and actually coming to see the performance when he had better things to do I'm sure. Or the teacher who took me in when my own teacher refused to teach me and set aside a special place just in case I ended up in her class, or the head teacher who with one look could settle me down from a bad mood (I used to be highly unpredictable as a child. I was special needs which is why some teachers refused to have me in class and my highschool almost turned me down). Teachers like that, and you are cherished. We don't always show how much we appreciate them, but when we have a good teacher they stay with us. I still hear the advice some of them gave me when I need to.

Angel will ignore the keen monster and listen to her real art teacher and be confident when she draws because even if Angel isn't the next davinci art is beatiful and if angel likes creating things angel shouldn't let other peoples opinions matter...but maybe angel should practice her shading a little more and shouldn't have thrown away her workbook so she had classes to learn from.
Yeah, Angel still hears the teachers that matter ^_^
nettie

Post by nettie »

Angel your drawings are really very very good. Just remember others wouldn't ask you to draw for them if they didn't think you were good at it!

What a shame about that teacher. As Agi said she wasn't a teacher just a body to fill a gap. She had obviously forgotten to learn how to motivate all students under her care.

Maybe you could start a Draw Along Thread so we can see what you are doing!

Keep going I want to see more. I always admire others art as I am no good myself I can't even draw a stick man with out it looking like someone just chucked a pencil at the paper in the hope it would do it itself!!!
Angel

Post by Angel »

I guess it's true, although people do seem to like getting art even if it's crap. I've been given some really bad pieces of art, but I still proudly display them in a virtual gallery and I still love them even though I think my 5 year old cousin could do better :P

I think a draw-along thread would be pretty dead to be honest, it takes me forever to do a piece if I'm not bored out of my skull :P
mysterystitcher

Post by mysterystitcher »

Angel, I am sorry that you had to go through all that! I really am! That woman wasn't a teacher. She was cruel! Believe me! That was a cruel thing to do! I hope you will keep your pens moving. Please, don't give up. In my eyes you draw better than I ever could.
Best: MysteryStitcher

My needlepoint blog: http://mysteriousstitching.blogspot.com

My knitting blog: https://mysteriousknitting.blogspot.com
2Danes

Post by 2Danes »

I love the cow! He/She would be great as a cross stitch pattern :)
Happy Stitching,
Heather

WIP:
Butterfly Alphabet: DS 07/13/10

Planned:
Shades of Red
Taj Mahal Mandala Garden
Tempest In a Teacup
mysterystitcher

Post by mysterystitcher »

I dare to say I agree.