My new stitching accessory

For all topics which do not fit in the other categories.

Moderators: rcperryls, Rose, karen4bells, Serinde, Alex

Angel

My new stitching accessory

Post by Angel »

Inspired 100% by rose, I went out and bought one of those thread cutting pendants. So useful! I take it to work with me and it's so easy ti find. Unlike my scissors which hide everywhere, I know this is always on my neck. And while I will be taking my entire sewing kit with me to London on the 31st, I will be leaving my scissors in the case in the baggage compartment and using my pendant for the actual journey.

So thank you Rose, for posting about yours. This is a nifty little accessory.

Jilly

Post by Jilly »

They are very nifty little things :D I have one in one of my 'waiting' bags, I have bags with small projects in ready to take with me to waiting rooms or appointments, when Katie was pregnant with Ebony we spent a lot of time at hospitals.

I just read about your frustration at the funeral delay, they should never have told you one date, then changed it, that is very insensitive, they should have known at the time. I would be angry too.
wendywombat

Post by wendywombat »

I've been looking at those but never known anyone who has used them! Now I know 2 people! May just have to put that in my next Stash order!! :lol: :lol:
agi

Post by agi »

I saw one of these the other day - it was a bit expensive for my budget right now, but I may buy one the next time, after payday :)
But I have a question: can you cut the thread with itnext to the fabric? I mean, when you are finishing a thread, hiding it under some stitches, and you need to cut it so there is no tail left...
(Oh, my English is not good enough to explain, :( I hope you get my meaning, though.)
Agi

"The world, as a colourful knot of threads, has turned into a memory, and now you cannot be sure whether it was real."
(Géza Ottlik, Hungarian writer)

My blog
coffee_freak

Post by coffee_freak »

it's on my birthday or christmas wish list for sure! that one is pretty!
If you get a comment of a :smile:,I must be holding my :coffee:
http://coffeecupcakescrossstitch.blogspot.com/
WIP:
Joan Elliot Spring Fairy
Cupcakes
Snuggle Up
2012 HD's
Bohemia
Fairy Friend
Serinde

Post by Serinde »

benceagi wrote:I saw one of these the other day - it was a bit expensive for my budget right now, but I may buy one the next time, after payday :)
But I have a question: can you cut the thread with itnext to the fabric? I mean, when you are finishing a thread, hiding it under some stitches, and you need to cut it so there is no tail left...
(Oh, my English is not good enough to explain, :( I hope you get my meaning, though.)
Yes, you can manipulate the cutter close enough to snip back a tail. However, what I tend to do is just leave a little longer tail on the back than normal, and snip it really close to the fabric when I get to some scissors. A bit of a cheat, perhaps...
mags

Post by mags »

Yes, I was wondering about that :)
mags

WIPs:
Heritage Tower Bridge (yes still :roll: )
various bits and bobs
Rose

Post by Rose »

They are really pretty good at getting the thread right at the fabric. They are tapered to the edge. So the place were the cutting is done is very thin so as to make it easy to get right close. And you can cut yarn with them also. All in all a very useful little tool. And pretty too.

Angel you are welcome for the advise, glad it has made thing easier for you. I also have found that it keeps your cutting utensil in an easy to find location. :lol:
If you are looking for some one to help change you, look in the mirror
crossstitchpro

Post by crossstitchpro »

Is there an online source for it? I don't have a LNS. :(

Lori
www.crossstitchpro.com
Hundreds of Patterns to Download.
Angel

Post by Angel »

Thank you Jilly, we were origionally told Thursday. The one just past, and I was all ready to say goodbye, but then they changed it. I just want to lay her body to rest. I hate the thought of her all alone in a strange place. She's getting cremated and her ashes are going on her mothers grave so she won't be alone when we eventually get to do it.

oh yes, you can cut pretty close to the fabric.

I've taken to wearing mine constantly. It's so pretty. I've put it on some purple floss I found in one of my moving boxs. Un numbered and years old, so I put it to use for this. I think it screams "LOOK I STITCH!" :P

I keep my projects in those resealable plastic bags. Keeps it all nice and together ^_^

DMC has one too, but it was pretty boring. This clover one is so pretty though! I can't blame you for putting it on your wish list coffee-freak.

I got mine from sewandso.co.uk they deliever to the US too I believe. But I think most online sewing sites will stock them.
mags

Post by mags »

So sorry to hear about the delay Angel :(

I think I might have to get one of these clover thingies.
mags

WIPs:
Heritage Tower Bridge (yes still :roll: )
various bits and bobs
Becca

Post by Becca »

Ooh that's very cool, i'd like to have one of those. I'm always losing my scissors under things.
Click the banner above to visit us at Crafts 'n' Creatures!

And my blog which is full of all my stitching
sammy_v

Post by sammy_v »

Sorry to hear that they have done that Angel.

I would love one of these must get looking for one i want now lol.
**HEART OF MY HOME**

Post by **HEART OF MY HOME** »

I am getting one too! It will with me on my cruise later this year. I am finding so many good hints & tips from reading all these posts!
ONE NATION UNDER ONE GOD!
Angel

Post by Angel »

I think I've started something now.... but yes. All must buy pendants like these. They are great and you won't regret it.
**HEART OF MY HOME**

Post by **HEART OF MY HOME** »

I found a 'FONS & PORTER" (quilter's will know this name) brand thread cutter at a discount discount in my area for .99!!! It is made in China (I try like crazy to avoid Asian imports). It works great, so my search is over.

SCORE!!!
ONE NATION UNDER ONE GOD!
Angel

Post by Angel »

Mine says Japan on it. I never have any problems with asian imports.
lacemaker2004

Post by lacemaker2004 »

The clover cutters are great. I bought mine mainly because of flying when I lost a pair of nail scissors on a flight back from Mexico (the airline people took them). The airlines are so pissie anymore about what you bring and I'd rather lose the clover than an expensive pair of scissors.

I generally leave the tail a bit longer too and trim those up when I get home and can use a pair of scissors.

Coffee, I think I've seen them in Michael's and as I recall they were only a few dollars.
Rose

Post by Rose »

Yes Micheal's is were I bought my clover. I used to see them in Wal-mart but they are hopeless for anything stitching now days. Mine has zero floss and only about 5 kits very small.
If you are looking for some one to help change you, look in the mirror
lacemaker2004

Post by lacemaker2004 »

I originally heard that Walmart was going to Anchor and that was why everything was selling out but someone else said that they are completely getting out of the stitching supplies.....which stinks since they are about 5 minutes from the house and Michaels is more like 15 with no LNS inbetween.