I found a GoldMine

Post your wanted list here

Moderators: rcperryls, Rose, karen4bells, Serinde, Alex

Ernie2jess

I found a GoldMine

Post by Ernie2jess »

Just wanted to let everyone know that I went to a consignment store this past weekend. Its like it was on that shelf waiting for me the whole time. I picked up a huge binder with an automobile on the front (nothing to do with cross stitch) opened it up and inside were Cross Stitch and Country Craft Magazines ranging in dates from like 1983 to 1994. Sticker price said $20 but they were having a half price sale..so I got approx 30 mags for $10. What a find! You just can't imagine how happy I was. I was complaining to my husband about not really having any kind of stash...but I do now!!! Now, I just need a stash of fabric, a stash of floss...Hey Rose, I think I'll go and buy some at Michael's. :lol:

So, from all the ranting, there is a reason why I'm posting. I want to ask if anyone subsrcribes to this magazine. I have found 3 christmas stockings that I would like to complete but I need one more. I know there are plenty out there, but since these are in about the same size, I'd rather have the other one the same too. So I was wondering if anyone had an issue that contains a stocking. If so, can you send me a picture of the magazine cover? I can trade, buy, whatever it takes. I don't know if I'll have anything that someone might wanna trade, but it s worth a try. Thanks everyone. I may not respond for a few days. I'll be out of town this weekend, so bear with me.
mags

Post by mags »

What a find, lucky you :D

Sorry I can't help with the stocking pattern.
mags

WIPs:
Heritage Tower Bridge (yes still :roll: )
various bits and bobs
CEJHNeedlework

Cross Stitch & Country Crafts Stockings & Index

Post by CEJHNeedlework »

"Cross Stitch & Country Craft" magazines did a LOT of stocking designs that matched each other before they were bought by Better Homes and Gardens. The December 1998 issue of "Cross Stitch & Needlework" which is what the publication turned into has a project index in it 1985-1987. No pictures but correct titles. I can scan those pages in and e-mail them to you. It will also help you build your collection.

I don't have all the issues myself. They were my Great Grandmother's and I think some were lost before they made it to my house. The issues I have with stockings are the following:

Premiere Issue 1985: Northwoods Christmas Stocking
July/Aug 1986: Home For Christmas
July/Aug 1987: The Holiday Kitchen
July/Aug 1988: Holiday Study Stocking
July/Aug 1991: Music Room Stocking
July/Aug 1992: Suger 'n' Spice Christmas Stocking
Jul/Aug 1993: Snips 'n' Snails Christmas Stocking

I know that all stockings 1985-1993 are complimentary in their design and work with each other. I haven't seen the 1994 design but I would GUESS it will match to. 1995 there was no stocking design.

These issues also contain stockings according to the index but I don't have them to send you a picture:

July/Aug 1989: Stitcher's Studio Stocking
Jul/Aug 1990: Holiday Workshop Stocking
Jul/Aug 1994: Merry Christmas Santa Stocking
Jul/Aug 1996: Hardanger Christmas Stocking
Jul/Aug 1997: Visions of Sugarplums & Children's Room

Anyone who would like me to e-mail them the index for Cross Stitch & Country Crafts for the years 1985-1997 send me an e-mail entitled "CROSS STITCH INDEX PLEASE"

-Christine
Ernie2jess

Post by Ernie2jess »

:shock: Christine,
Thank you so much for your reply. I love it when people can just whip out their answers so fast.

I took at the list of the one's you have. Its great to know that I do have most of them, but the one that I don't have and would absolutely love would be the "Music Room Stocking." I played in the orchestra and I would love to stitch this one for myself.

So then my question to you would be "is there an issue that you would like to trade for this one?" Or would you be willing to part with it for a price?

Again Christine, Thank you so much. :rose:
CEJHNeedlework

I might have an extra copy soon

Post by CEJHNeedlework »

:D

You are in luck! Currently I have a bid on Ebay to purchuse 53 Cross Stitch and Country Craft Magazines. It fills in my gaps but I only need 22 of them and the issue you want would become a DUPLICATE COPY for me. I haven't won the bid yet. It ends Thursday around 2:20pm. If I win when they arrive I will look through and see which are duplicates with stockings and then I will send you a list and you can tell me which you have and don't have. I will pass them on for whatever they cost me plus the postage.

As I have been trying to complete my collection I have gathered duplicates and I am chicken to post them on E-bay. I much rather trade them for something or pass them on for about what I paid for them and the cost of postage to other stitchers then deal with the cost of posting, E-bay etc. Do you think the WANTED section would be a good place to post info about my duplicates for sale or trade? :?:
Ernie2jess

Post by Ernie2jess »

Oh wow...thanks Christine, I will definitely love you if I could buy one from you.

By the way, I think this is a great place to buy, trade, sell your extra stash.
CEJHNeedlework

Good News!

Post by CEJHNeedlework »

I won the bid on ebay! They are sending it Media Mail so it might take a little while to get to me before I can redirect anything to you. I got them for about $1 a piece. I hope that isn't to expensive! Any one that has a stocking on it I will put aside and ask you to see if you would like them. Also, any other issues you might want, you get first crack.

After we get you set up I will put a post up with my list of duplicates on the forum. I figured I would sell them at $1 each plus the cost of mailing them. I am also open to trading one magazine for another. Even trades, with the same number of issues going both ways, I wouldn't even worry about the postage we can just each pay our own way.
Ernie2jess

Post by Ernie2jess »

Hi Christine,
Congrats on your win! I can't wait to see what you have duplicates of. $1 is just fine! Personally, I think they are worth more than a $1. :lol: I love every magazine that has cross stitch. If I had room for all cross stitch, I'd have everything.... :roll:
CEJHNeedlework

Re: I found a GoldMine

Post by CEJHNeedlework »

Did the package arrive yet?
Ernie2jess

Re: I found a GoldMine

Post by Ernie2jess »

Yes most definitely it did. Thank you so much. I didn't know where to email you or let you know. I think I left a comment on your blog.