What do your stitches say about you?

For all topics which do not fit in the other categories.

Moderators: rcperryls, Rose, karen4bells, Serinde, Alex

gelflin

What do your stitches say about you?

Post by gelflin »

Firstly apologies if this has already been done, I did search the forums first though and couldn’t find a topic on this….

What is your favourite topic to stitch? Animals, oriental, seasonal, scenes etc.

What would you like see charts/kits for? Is there a topic you would like to stitch but there seems to be a lack of?

What are the most important things you want in a project?

I wonder if what we choose to stitch or are drawn to, say a little ( or a lot!) about our personalities.

I love to stitch cats, from big fearsome predators to the little domestic predators :lol: . I also like historical and fantasy designs but I am a lot more picky about them.

I personally feel that British historical subjects (that I like anyway) don’t have enough variety. Mary Hickmott for me blazed the way with her Tudor/Henry VIII designs, but since then the subject seems to have died out :(

I like to have a pattern that only uses the necessary amount of colours, but without compromising the finished look. I like to see something of the designer in the pattern, I love that you can look at a Margaret Sherry design and instantly know that she is the designer, another example for me would be Teresa Wentzler.

I look forward to learning a little more about you all……
Jilly

Post by Jilly »

Good Questions :D

Favourite topic- Cultural, Oriental, Celtic, Scenes,Maps.

Mostly I have to resist buying, rather than searching :lol:

Most important thing- I have to really like the project, I could not get enthusiastic just about stitching, I love to see the design unfold.

Maybe my stitching reflects some aspects of my personality, I do stitch quite a few scenes, they are all quiet places, I love rivers, lakes ,hills, trees, I hate crowds.
History and cultural roots fascinate me, again this is evident in my projects.

I am not keen on fractional stitches, unless they really add to the design, my Crane piece would not have worked without them, on the other hand none of the Dimensions kits I have done have had them, or the Mary Hickmott ones.
mauveme

Post by mauveme »

Hmmmmm.
Deep thoughts happening :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Fav Topic.-I just love to stitch houses, landscapes, and floral. Just getting interested in 3D stuff. Especially biscornu :lol: ) I like doing large pieces, (well usually). Like Jilly , I like to see the design unfold. Especially when the different depths start to emerge.

As for reflecting my personality, I suppose so. I am obsessed with houses, I watch decorating shows and home remodeling. I dont like stitching people in my designs, cause I dont like dealing with people. I love the outdoors too. Flowers, interesting trees etc. I am not into cutsy. At all....

I dont really care for kits, sorting out the floss drives me insane and I always second guess myself on some shades. I find that the kits are not good value for your money--some are just a horrendous price!!!!!
I dont mind fractional stitches, I love the effect. I like certain designers (ei Thomas Kincade, Marty Bell and Paula V. You certanly can pick their designs out,

I never have a problem finding charts--infact it is just the oposite, I DO NOT NEED ANY MORE. and I tell myself that everytime I order a new one. :oops:
Linda
Rose

Post by Rose »

Well let me see what a lot to think about.

What is my favorite subject? I don't really have one thing that I prefer as a so called favorite.

I do have something that I really have a hard time getting excited about and that is buildings. I have only done the one for my mom's quilt and it was so hard to work it.

I like things with facesa that is people or animals or cartoon characters.

What do you think of kits? Well I don't like the price of them or the limited creative abilities that they give you. I like to pick my background colors. I tend to change colors to suit the person that I am stitching the project for. I like making my own patterns and changing the colors and positions of the designs to suit my style.

What do I want in a project? Well I want the designer to give me as much detail as they can with colors and backstitching but I don't think there is a need for blended threads. Personally I think that they have enough color shades available that there is just no need for blending. Just my personal pet peeve.

Is there a missing design? Yes devils. I have found tons of angel patterns but almost 0 devil patterns and I am not talking about dark, evil, gothic patterns I am talking about some thing for Halloween or a cute little devil baby type thing. You should have seen some of the stuff that came up when I googled she-devils or female devils, made me blush :oops: But as far as the cross stitch patterns went all I could find was Stitching Devils by EMS and they would not work for what I was planning.

I don't know if it says anything about my personality :thinks: I guess it probably does but I am not that deep at the moment so can't really tell you what is all would mean.
If you are looking for some one to help change you, look in the mirror
lacemaker2004

Post by lacemaker2004 »

Humm, Let's see if I can remember all the questions:

Favorite topics would be garden-esque and the Mirabilia women-I like their strenght and beauty even while working.

I have a few ideas of other Mirabilia's that I'd like to see. The follow up or the prelude to "The Kiss". A peacock or parrot inspired gowned lady. Right now I have so many that I don't have much need for more.

I guess the only think that drives me nuts is too much backstitching. I don't mind fractional stitches and I have found that the blending of threads to enhance to projects. While there are tons of colors I've found frequently that they aren't always the right match in hue or intensity to get the meaning across. I'm like Linda/mauveme and I can't stand kits. If I buy them it's only because that's the only way to get the design. I also change the fabric to fit the design and sorting those threads causes me to look for the whine (yes, I spelled that correctly.) I generally throw out the threads that come with the kit and dig stuff out of my stash. That way I am also satisfied with the quality and quantity of the materials. I've had experiences where the threads were old and rotting (or just garbage) and some where they didn't give you enough.

I think what we stitch says something about us even if it's how we prefer to live or be viewed. I love the beauty, elegance and self assuredness of Mirabilia's work though I don't like her mermaids or fairies, they just don't have the same feel to me. I guess it depends on what I'm going to use the piece for if for the type it is. For instance, my Christmas stuff all tends to be more whimsy and fun. Nothing too life like or serious.
coffee_freak

Post by coffee_freak »

i stitch just about everything so making a list of what I don't stitch would be shorter..lol..
i don't do country looking things..or antique looking patterns...samplers, or anything w/ too many colors..lol
If you get a comment of a :smile:,I must be holding my :coffee:
http://coffeecupcakescrossstitch.blogspot.com/
WIP:
Joan Elliot Spring Fairy
Cupcakes
Snuggle Up
2012 HD's
Bohemia
Fairy Friend
agi

Post by agi »

What do my stitches say about me?

Well, perhaps that I am becoming old - because I am more and more nostalgic. That's why I like old folk patterns the most - although haven't done many, But I only started cross stitch last May. (I will have to celebrate the anniversary, mind you!) It is also interesting to remark, that if you look around the Internet, folk patterns in Central or Eastern Europe are quite different from the ones in America, for example. Original Hungarian folk are was one or two colours maximum, mostly red, red and blue or red and black.

As I learnt how to do cross stitch, I fell in love with celtic patterns, but haven't done anything serious yet - one of the big plans! And I also like country style, samplers, and pictures of buildings. There are many patterns I would like to do in the years to come - more than I will have time for!
I would prefer stitching things to be used, like tablecloths, towels, pillows than pictures to be framed - I can't explain why.
Agi

"The world, as a colourful knot of threads, has turned into a memory, and now you cannot be sure whether it was real."
(Géza Ottlik, Hungarian writer)

My blog
henrietta

Personalities in stitching

Post by henrietta »

"What is your favourite topic to stitch?"
Geometric, noting cutesy.

"What would you like see charts/kits for?"
Don't do kits & make my own charts. Got lots of ideas in my head bursting to get out.

"Is there a topic you would like to stitch but there seems to be a lack of?"
Blackwork but I am taking care of that !

"What are the most important things you want in a project?"
Interesting, fun, no wild lines going over the chart as though the squares don't exist.

"I wonder if what we choose to stitch or are drawn to, say a little ( or a lot!) about our personalities."
I would say my choice of Blackwork is probably OCD (Obsessive compulsive) as I like the repitition, the geometry & the symetry. I like a chart to be orderly. I like floral & experimenting with colours & textures.

Tam.
mags

Post by mags »

What is your favourite topic to stitch?
Whatever takes my fancy at the time. I don't think there is a recurring theme.

What would you like see charts/kits for?
I haven't noticed a lack of what I wanted to do.

A bit like Tam, here. I don't like doing back stitches that supposedly outline but then go through squares leaving bits blank or half stitches outside the outline :shock:

I wonder if what we choose to stitch or are drawn to, say a little ( or a lot!) about our personalities.
As I don't think I have a theme running through my project choices I suppose some might say I'm scatterbrained :lol: but I'm not :lol:

I'm very organised but in an untidy way :wink: I like things neat and tidy. I like blackwork, and I just like the very neatness of cross stitch. Want to branch out into other stitches, when I've completed my current projects. I like doing small items that will be used for something or other, eg needlecases (they are breeding round here) I don't do a lot of stuff for hanging on walls, certainly not for other people's walls :wink:
mags

WIPs:
Heritage Tower Bridge (yes still :roll: )
various bits and bobs
kimkat_tkl

Post by kimkat_tkl »

Favourite topics - Winnie the Pooh and Australian wildlife (fauna, flora and outback scenes) - specifically Fiona Judes "Country Threads".

I mostly do kits as there are soooooooo many out there that take my fancy. The brands of kit that I buy tend to come with the colours already sorted on card :D which is a big plus. I am not a big fan of fractional stitches, but do believe that they have their place, more so in smaller designs.

I have done one piece where I converted a pic to pattern as a present for my grandad using a trial program, and really want a to get a program to do more. My family are camera freaks - they love taking pictures and many of them would turn into lovely projects.

Yes I believe that what we choose to stitch says alot about our personalities and the environment we grew up in. Me - I was brought up to love the outdoors - we didn't have pets, we had native animals that came into our yard instead, hence the love for Australian images. Winnie the Pooh - well that's for the kid in me :D
Angel

Post by Angel »

My favourite has to be fantasy designs that capture the imagination. But I'm very picky about them.
Oriental designs, but again, I'm very picky, they have to inspire me and make me feel their message. And I much prefer Chinese to any other.
Cute animals.

I already have more patterns than I can shake a stick at at the moment. Besides, I much prefer charts to actual kits.

Is there a topic you would like to stitch but there seems to be a lack of?
Inspiring designs with Chinese Kanji.

Something fun to stitch, beautiful to look at and that won't be over in no time, but won't drag on for ages so I loose interest.
sammy_v

Post by sammy_v »

Animals, oriental, scenes, people and Winnie the pooh. Anything really i dont really mind but i do like it to look as though it would take a while to stitch and have detail.

More famous people and cartoons like the simpsons (could stitch them for loads of people)

Im very picky as it has to look like theres loads of detail or tells a story of some sort or it will take a long time to do so to speek.

I do believe that what we choose to stitch says alot about our personalities and that.

As i like to mainly stitch for other as i love to see the look on there faces when they receive it, its wonderful if they have had/having a bad time of late etc. I like to stitch Winnie the pooh as i love WTP always have, i have so many teddys i could open a shop deicated to WTP lol.

I love oriental things also have since i was little, always wanted my room decorated in a oriental theme but never could, the detail in them is just wonderful and so colourful.
Mabel Figworthy

Post by Mabel Figworthy »

Judging by the bulging folder that holds the many many designs I've cut out of years and years of second-hand magazines (thank you, eBay) in fairly well-defined ccategories, mostly flowers and animals (especially butterflies), although I like some geometric shapes like tiles, and I have a weakness for alphabet samplers. I don't really like buidings, unless they're small cottages with lots of flowers around them :-)

What would you like see charts/kits for? Is there a topic you would like to stitch but there seems to be a lack of?
Kits don't really do it for me -- they're horribly expensive and you can't really change anything (well, you can, but then you'd sort of pay for it twice...). I really like choosing the fabric and floss colours I think are right for that particular project.

Generally, I like them to be small; I sympathise with the people who say they like to see a project develop, but I have found that even with smallish designs (anything under 50x50 stitches) there is development if it is well-designed.

I have done slightly bigger things, like some Precious Moments characters (among them the boy with the fish on his head, with the text Follow Me and I will make you fishers of men) and a Flower Fairy, but I keep coming back to small designs. Possibly because most of my stitching is done in snatched hours in the evening...

My solution is to do a big project which is really lots of little projects -- I'm hoping to start an alphabet afghan some time this year, which means i can do a letter, put it away and do some other things, do another letter, etc.

I don't like too much backstitch, as it can make things look cartoonish (although sometimes that is of course exactly the effect you want; I used backstitch in two thicknesses for the Virgin & Child in my gallery because I wanted it to look almost like stained glass with the clearly separate parts). This can sometimes be solved by using fractionals and by backstitching in the same colour as the cross stitch (see peacock in gallery).
Oh, and backstitch (or holbein stitch) in blackwork is brilliant, of course!
PaulaH

Post by PaulaH »

What is your favourite topic to stitch? Animals, oriental, seasonal, scenes etc.

I love lighthouses, cats and bears - I've done a few celebrity patterns for friends - Donny Osmond & The Osmonds.

I love cards as a quick project but I can never find enough get well or sympathy patterns.

Good quality materials, sorted cottons and a separate chart for backstitch on detailed designs.

Paula xx
Mabel Figworthy

Post by Mabel Figworthy »

Rose wrote:I don't think there is a need for blended threads. Personally I think that they have enough color shades available that there is just no need for blending. Just my personal pet peeve.
I don't like blending for the sake of it (you know, 'let's see how many different techniques we can get into this square inch'), but I have on occasion found it useful when a 'run' of shades had one step which was bigger than the others -- I mean the next step in the series was suddenly quite a lot lighter or darker. Also I have used it for 'middle shades'; I'm working on a little sea scene at the moment and because I found the contrast between the blue and the green bit of the sea too great I did the middle bit in a blend of those two. I'll attach a picture to show the effect, which I couldn't have got with the available shades.
Image Image
a cute little devil baby type thing
Is there such a thing???? Sounds about as likely as a cute little mass murderer baby type thing :-)
Last edited by Mabel Figworthy on Fri Apr 18, 2008 12:57 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Dazbo666

Re: What do your stitches say about you?

Post by Dazbo666 »

gelflin wrote:...What is your favourite topic to stitch? Animals, oriental, seasonal, scenes etc.

I wonder if what we choose to stitch or are drawn to, say a little ( or a lot!) about our personalities....
Well my main WIP at the moment is a snow leopard, and I recently finished a Peanuts/Snoopy project for my fiancee, and a Lickle Ted and various Xmas card projects.
I've also been asked by my step-daughter to do a dolphin project for her room...

So although I haven't been stitching for very long, I seem to gravitate towards animal designs.

i'd also like to do a Welsh themed collage and/or a dragon or Wales map for myself - but it's constantly getting delayed by other projects.
Last edited by Dazbo666 on Thu Mar 20, 2008 4:19 pm, edited 2 times in total.
~threadbear~

Post by ~threadbear~ »

I've held off posting on here really because I'm still a fairly recent 'project' person, until then it's all been little cards and small things. Anyhow, we'll give it a go.

The jury is still out on this at the moment. I seem drawn to different things rather than a particular topic. Maybe once I have more experience I will find something, or maybe I will continue to like trying the different styles and gradually branch out to more complicated designs. :shock:

I want to stitch some formula one (we are all fans) but can't fnd suitable charts that I like. I would also like to stitch the nintendo characters my sons like as well, but again, I haven't found charts that appeal.

I like to see a good finish, whether it's down to the fabric or the chart, I'm not yet experienced enough to be sure, but some do look very blocky whereas others have more detail and look like a picture. I would rather have the different (fractional) stitches and backstitch and see something that truely 'lives' than a cartoony effect.

Not sure really. :thinks:
So far everything I have chosen to do or am planning to do, is with someone close to me in mind. I love to see something I think will be perfect for them and give them pleasure. :D
:choc: There's nothing better than a good friend, except a good friend with CHOCOLATE! :dance:
:choc: Forget love! I'd rather fall in CHOCOLATE! :wub:

Current :wip:
With Faith :dance:
Dogs
Snow Leopard (Haed)
Big Cats

Blog