Frames? Hoops? Neither?

For all topics which do not fit in the other categories.

Moderators: rcperryls, Rose, karen4bells, Serinde, Alex

kimkat_tkl

Post by kimkat_tkl »

I've never had my qsnap mark my fabric or areas that I have already stitched. I also like the fact that if you are stitching an area close to the frame it is easy just to twist the clip, loosen the fabric and do that one stitch that just sits on the edge then retension the fabric.
Rose

Post by Rose »

You are so right Kimkat. I love the mobility that the q-snaps give me and the tension is so adjustable, without ever taking the fabric of of the frame.

And no the q-snaps do not mark the fabric.

There are many places that sell the q-snaps now but if you want to go direct to the source there is a link in the Wanted section in the "Internet Site" thread. They show you all of the sizes and the extenstion so that you can get a good idea of the options that you have.
If you are looking for some one to help change you, look in the mirror
Mabel Figworthy

Post by Mabel Figworthy »

Thanks for the information on Qsnaps -- they certainly do sound like a good idea for that afghan. I especially like the fact that you can get at those annoying little stitches that insist on being too near the sides!

I had a look at the website, but although buying in dollars is wonderfully cheap for us at the moment, with posting it does come to rather a lot.

I found something described as a 'Universal Craft Frame' at Tandem Cottage which seems to be the same thing -- could some of you have a look and tell me whether they think it is? It's on this page: http://www.threadsite.co.uk/tandem/acce ... ames2.html, scroll down a bit and you should see it. It's not too expensive for the 6" one, which is what I'd be using. Pity though that the next size up is the 9" rather than the 8" on the Qsnap website.
Serinde

Post by Serinde »

It doesn't look as if there's much to choose between the two systems: they are variations on each other. It would be interesting to have one of each to compare things like the sturdiness of the tubing, the smoothness of the joints, the durability of the clips. However, I expect you pays your money and gets your choice!

Has anyone ever bought 'clip and go' frames? They look like typical roller frames but with clips. I was wondering if there is anywhere you can just buy the clips (I could search the web myself, by haven't got the time at the moment! :oops: )
Mabel Figworthy

Post by Mabel Figworthy »

Serinde wrote:Has anyone ever bought 'clip and go' frames?
Hmm -- tried to Google these and it came up with dog agility equipment :-)
Is 'clip and go' the official name, or a description?
lacemaker2004

Post by lacemaker2004 »

Haven't seen them. Can you post a picture or link?
Serinde

Post by Serinde »

I have since discovered that they are made by Elbesee and are called Easy Clip. Wonder if they sell the clips separately. Bet not. :(
nicgoss

Post by nicgoss »

I could never get on with frames myself. Keep trying new ones out, but find they are awkward to hold and take alot more time to stitch!

I find if you are using something like 14 count then the fabric is fine and doesn't really stretch out of shape, but when using an 18 count (for my horse picture) and sometimes having to put 6 threads through, it was majorily distorted! Wasn't very happy with end result but when its mounted and framed you can bearly notice.

Also I find not using a frame my material gets very crumpled (as I usually work on large projects) so its not ideal.

Desperately want to get on with using frames because of this. Perhaps I'll try the Q Snaps you have all mentioned.

Thanks for the advice :lol:
Nic x

-----------------
Work in Progress

HAED 'Yes'
HAED 'Ballerina Sisters
HAED 'Swans Song'
HAED 'Shh'
Mystic Stitch 'Dawn's Song'
New York @ Night
PaulaH

Post by PaulaH »

I'm using the Clip & Sew frame from Siesta at the minute

http://www.siestaframes.com/acatalog/si ... rames.html

The clips were a bit difficult at first but they're fine now.

Paula xx
lacemaker2004

Post by lacemaker2004 »

Oh, I see. I have a similar no sew that uses velcro on the bar and the fabric. Once rolled up it stays very tight.
Becca

Post by Becca »

I just hold mine in my hands. I think a hoop takes up too much space, and a small hoop i'd have to keep moving every 5 minutes. It's very important to me that my cross stitch is portable, because i always take it away with me, and like doing it on the train.
Click the banner above to visit us at Crafts 'n' Creatures!

And my blog which is full of all my stitching
Dazbo666

Post by Dazbo666 »

I tried using a wooden hoop for one of my first projects, but found that I didn't like the relatively small, constricted working space.

I now have a number of different sized roller frames that I enjoy using... and I've also recently bought a floor stand, but not had the time or opportunity to use it yet.

The only time I'll just hold the stitching in my hand is if it's a greetings card project which would normally be too small for a frame.