TAKING MY STITCHING ON A CRUISE

For all topics which do not fit in the other categories.

Moderators: rcperryls, Rose, karen4bells, Serinde, Alex

**HEART OF MY HOME**

TAKING MY STITCHING ON A CRUISE

Post by **HEART OF MY HOME** »

Later this fall I will be going on my first cruise (14 days to Alsaka), and since I have been recently bitten by the stitching bug, I am planning to bring a couple of projects along. If this is a totally bad idea, please tell me. I also am going to try to locate a few local needlework stores in some of the towns or ports that we visit. I have plenty of time to research this, but getting my hubby to agree to visit the stores will depend on us finding some breweries also. Two wonderful passions in life, hand crafted beer and cross-stitch. big sigh :wink:

Honestly, if bringing my stitching would not be wise, please let me know. Weather wise, I don't know if the deck would be warm enough or if the room would be comfortable along with lighting. I don't even want to try it on the airplane, as I don't see things improving for items you bring on board the plane.

thanks,
Cathy
ONE NATION UNDER ONE GOD!
Rose

Post by Rose »

I take my stitching everywhere I go and that includes the airlines, I have done so for years, the only change I had to make was buying a pendant at my LNS.Image I use this to cut my thread. The needles and all the rest go through inspections with no problems. I also always request an aisle seat so I have room to move around with my stitching.

You said fall so depending on the time of year I would think the weather will be great on the decks. You may find the days get shorter the farther north you go so if you have a bad time seeing at night you may want to invest in one of the lights that you can clip on your hoop. I have one and it works very well in my travel kit. My sister lives in Anchorage and when I visited her in June it was light for 24 hours a day. It was the weirdest thing, you never knew when to go to bed. It was a great trip and the scenery was gorgeous.

I would be lost if I could not take my stitching when I travel. I say take it with you.
If you are looking for some one to help change you, look in the mirror
Angel

Post by Angel »

I'd go out of my mind if I couldn't take it with me. Just don't lean over the side with it in hand. I always say cruises are floating islands, and I'd be fine taking my sewing on an island...
Jilly

Post by Jilly »

It sounds like a great idea to me, enjoy the cruise :D
~threadbear~

Post by ~threadbear~ »

Oh yes, take it for sure! You will really miss having it if you don't I bet.

Have a great trip when you go and tell us all about the fantastic needlework shops you find when you get back!
:D
:choc: There's nothing better than a good friend, except a good friend with CHOCOLATE! :dance:
:choc: Forget love! I'd rather fall in CHOCOLATE! :wub:

Current :wip:
With Faith :dance:
Dogs
Snow Leopard (Haed)
Big Cats

Blog
Mabel Figworthy

Post by Mabel Figworthy »

Sounds like a great idea, unless you are particularly prone to motion sickness. I can think of few nicer things than to sit on deck basking in the sunshine doing a bit of stitching!

By the way, I had heard of those threadcutters which you can take on planes instead of scissors, but what about the needle?

I'm not joking, last year I got a pair of nail clippers confiscated because they had a nail file about the length of a tapestry needle (and much less pointed), with which I was obviously going to highjack the plane and take it to a Land Far Far Away -- so what they'll say about needles i do not know!
coffee_freak

Post by coffee_freak »

yes i totally would! i take mine with me everywhere too..if even only something small like an ornie or bookmark to work one!
Last edited by coffee_freak on Fri Mar 14, 2008 11:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
If you get a comment of a :smile:,I must be holding my :coffee:
http://coffeecupcakescrossstitch.blogspot.com/
WIP:
Joan Elliot Spring Fairy
Cupcakes
Snuggle Up
2012 HD's
Bohemia
Fairy Friend
wendywombat

Post by wendywombat »

Do not leave home without it! :shock:
Even if it's a small easy to do kit! I wouldn't suggest a cross stitch picture of The Last Supper for instance! You do want to see something of the scenery!
Also... it's a great way to strike up conversation with other people. I find when we go away in the caravan to Spain each winter, as I sit outside stitching people will often stop and start to chat. I have learnt a few different techniques this way.
Have a Wonderful Cruise! :D
Serinde

Post by Serinde »

Well, I agree with everyone. You just take pieces of stitching for those times when you just want to kick back, forego the shuffleboard, don't fancy the show, but want to sit with your thoughts and the fabulous scenery.

Clover cutters for thread on an airplane is very useful. Each airline is a law unto itself in regard to needles and so on. If you bring a small piece, say a bookmark, and have it, the floss, needle (1) and clover cutter in a little bag in your carry-on, the worst that can happen is that they will make you put it all into your hold luggage. Remember to take a good book... :roll:
mags

Post by mags »

Oooh a cruise - lucky you :D

I always take some stitching on holiday - I have found that small monochrome / blackwork projects are best for me.
mags

WIPs:
Heritage Tower Bridge (yes still :roll: )
various bits and bobs
sammy_v

Post by sammy_v »

A cruise how lucky. I have never took my stitching on hol and i think i will have to hehehe, i say u should and have fun stitching whilst relaxing on deck :D Hope u have a wonderful time when u go and u will have to let us all no how u get on.
mauveme

Post by mauveme »

That is the one cruise I would love to take, but by all means take the stitching, you might not get anything done then again.............no opportunity wasted!!!
Linda
grub72

Post by grub72 »

Take it with you it is not a bad idea at all, i wish i had a holiday but the last time i took my xstitch was when i went to Snake valley in Ballarat in Victoria and i actually got a lot done but i had to make sure i did not lose any threads, it cna be very daunting as where we were there is no spotlight around so i had to make sure i had everything and no lose threads or needles. :D :( :o :wink: