Does anyone use the Stitchbow system?

Tips, Tricks & Techniques - anything to help fellow cross stitchers.

Moderators: rcperryls, Rose, karen4bells, Serinde, Alex

mig-3

Does anyone use the Stitchbow system?

Post by mig-3 »

For a few years, I've had the impression that it isn't very popular. I was wondering is anyone else uses it regularly.

Personally, I love it. I have the entire DMC collection on stitchbows in binders. I downloaded the unofficial names from DMC. I then made laminated, double-sided inserts to go under each color in its sleeve. One side of the insert has the word "out", the color number and unofficial name; the other side has the word "need" instead of "out". When a s/b of a certain color is pulled from the binder for a project, I turn the insert to show "out". When I run out of a color, I show the insert with "need". If I need a color for a project, I know whether it's there, in another project, or if it's time to get a new skein.

I have several ongoing projects in cheap three ring binders. The s/b floss inserts pop in the rings, working copies slide into pockets at the front and specialty threads go into small ziplock bags and clip to a binder ring.

I like the s/b project tote. It holds everything I need and doesn't look too froo-froo for a 43YO, bearded old goat of a man to carry. :)
Jarvis
clockwork

Re: Does anyone use the Stitchbow system?

Post by clockwork »

I know there's a few people on the forum that use Stitchbows. I don't, but I do totally carry my projects around in one of the large binders. I ripped the rings out of it and it's perfect for traveling.
~Clockwork~

Cute Stuff! http://www.etsy.com/shop/ClockworkStitcher" target="_blank" target="_blank"

WIPs
House Mouse series
Frog Pile
Dimensions Gold Collection Aurora Cabin (on hold)
MaggieM1750

Post by MaggieM1750 »

I use it.. not really deep into their system yet as I am very slowly adding to my thread stash here and there. I debated between stitchbows and floss away bags. I knew bobbins were not for me. When I was last at JoAnn's they had a DMC leaflet with all their color numbers. I checked off the 30 or so colors I have and keep that attached to the inside of my Stitchbow binder.

My projects are not that complex color wise. The one I am currently working on is a pumpkin, so my only threads are orange and green. My next one is an ornament and my threads are just going to be white and silver. No need to have the traveling system just yet. I keep my thread and tools in a small plastic photo box and I carry it and my project around in a canvas grocery bag. I've looked at the DMC bag but right now, what I have is working well enough.
agi

Post by agi »

I use the bobbins and love them, but want to make a remark on something else. I have just taken a look at your blog and have to say: you have done some really wonderful work! Congratulations! :applesauce: :applesauce: :applesauce:
Agi

"The world, as a colourful knot of threads, has turned into a memory, and now you cannot be sure whether it was real."
(Géza Ottlik, Hungarian writer)

My blog
SusanF

Post by SusanF »

** runs off to check out blog **

**runs back again, a bit out of breath **

I love your blog too, absolutely beautiful stitching :D :D :D Desert Star is stunning - I'd love to have a try at canvas work, it's in my never-ending list of things to do! And it's great to see someone else has worked on Chatelaine designs - did you enjoy it? I'm loving working on her Frosty Knotgarden mandela at the moment.
Susan

My Stitchy blog: SF Stitch
(updated 16th April 2010)
mig-3

Post by mig-3 »

Thanks, Agi. I appreciate that.
benceagi wrote:I use the bobbins and love them, but want to make a remark on something else. I have just taken a look at your blog and have to say: you have done some really wonderful work! Congratulations! :applesauce: :applesauce: :applesauce:
Jarvis
mig-3

Post by mig-3 »

LOL. Thanks, Susan. I have enjoyed the two mini mandalas I've done. Martina does such incredibly beautiful designs. Your knotgarden is going to be beautiful. The canvaswork pieces I've done are great: high "wow" factor, very low frustration factor. :)
SusanF wrote:** runs off to check out blog **

**runs back again, a bit out of breath **

I love your blog too, absolutely beautiful stitching :D :D :D Desert Star is stunning - I'd love to have a try at canvas work, it's in my never-ending list of things to do! And it's great to see someone else has worked on Chatelaine designs - did you enjoy it? I'm loving working on her Frosty Knotgarden mandela at the moment.
Jarvis
Vega

Post by Vega »

I'm currently using the bobbins as I started my stash a good 15-20 years ago. I still remember getting my tonsils out in 8th grade, and that night I was "screaming" fighting with my sister over one of the stash boxes. LOL I wouldn't reccomend doing that.

However, now that I'm going to start my first HAED I've been looking more into the stitchbow system. Over the last few years I stopped doing the bobbins because of all the creases they put in the floss. I've been carring skeins around in a ziplock baggie and searching through all of them with each project. Your system sounds great and I love the idea of the "out" & "need" reminders!
*barb*

Post by *barb* »

i just had a look at your blog too and such lovely stitching!

I use the bobbin system myself however, one of my stitching friends uses the DMC gold concept system and loves it.

I suppose it just depends on what you like and how you like things organised.

I find the bobbins work for me, because when I am doing a project i have small boxes that everything goes into and these boxes have slots for the bobbins so basically it''s just practical as it makes the best use of what i own and storage wise it works better for me.
Current WIP's

* forever friends - "garden swing"
* Dimensions Gold "Four Seasons kittens"
* Dimensions Matted Accents "Kitten and Butterfly"
Nachstenliebe

Post by Nachstenliebe »

I love my stitchbows :wub: I really like your idea of noting whether the bow is gone or more is needed. I need to carry my projects from home to work and the stitchbag has proven to be invaluable.
Faith
stitchingmae

Post by stitchingmae »

Vega wrote:I'm currently using the bobbins as I started my stash a good 15-20 years ago. I still remember getting my tonsils out in 8th grade, and that night I was "screaming" fighting with my sister over one of the stash boxes. LOL I wouldn't reccomend doing that.

However, now that I'm going to start my first HAED I've been looking more into the stitchbow system. Over the last few years I stopped doing the bobbins because of all the creases they put in the floss. I've been carring skeins around in a ziplock baggie and searching through all of them with each project. Your system sounds great and I love the idea of the "out" & "need" reminders!

I saw online once where someone kept all thier floss in the baggies they would put an index card in to make the baggies stand straight and then they put them in number order in those plastic shoebox containers....thought i would send that suggestion.
I am a bobbin user myself. I tried sitchbow and hated the way they stuck out on the end but loved the simplicity of it. I really like the baggie idea but don't have the room and already have started the bobbins...who knows when we buy our house and i have a craft room I just may have to switch to the baggie system

I have found that you can put the bobbins in the sleeves that you would put baseball cards in and they also have pages specific for bobbins as well!
Becca

Post by Becca »

I had some stitchbows which I got with one of the DMC carry bags. I used them for a while until I discovered bobbins which I have found much better as it's easy to wind off the length of thread you need and I like storing them in boxes. I found with the stitchbows the labels kept falling off so I now have several threads which I don't know the numbers for.
Click the banner above to visit us at Crafts 'n' Creatures!

And my blog which is full of all my stitching
Ingahaim

Post by Ingahaim »

I had it, but I have given it away to someone. I didn't like it at all, I use bobbins now in boxes, but still need to find a good system for my extra skeins and how to keep track off in/out/need to buy
Vega

Post by Vega »

I'm happily awaiting my first venture into the Stitchbow system! Last week I found an auction on ebay for 6 binders and a mini travel case. I'm hoping it will arrive this week. 4 of the binders are already full with floss...that just adds to my excitement!
mig-3

Post by mig-3 »

Good! I hope you like the S/Bs as much as I do. It's a great system for a few of us contrarians. :)
Jarvis
ali-cat

Post by ali-cat »

I started off with stitchbows in the DMC boxes. I found that the bows just didn't stay in the little slot and when I opened a box it was like an explosion in a coloured spaghetti factory!! :shock: I could have changed to the ringbinders but still didn't like how it was virtually impossible to store cut threads on them.

Switched to bobbins about 6 months ago and am a lot happier.
:kitty: Many years ago cats were worshipped as gods. Cats have never forgotten this.

WIP
Joan Elliott's Woodland Goddess
milkmaid

Post by milkmaid »

i love mine ,infact haven't brought anything new for it for years when a freind brought me the start of one ,i'm now adding to it :D
mig-3

Post by mig-3 »

ali-cat wrote:I started off with stitchbows in the DMC boxes. I found that the bows just didn't stay in the little slot and when I opened a box it was like an explosion in a coloured spaghetti factory!!
Those cheap-@$$ boxes were a bad idea. I never even considered them. I guess I'm wasteful. I don't keep used lengths shorter than 8"-10", so I never had a problem with them staying put on the bow.
Jarvis
Ingahaim

Post by Ingahaim »

I had a starters kit, but I hated it, most of it I gave away. Now there are still some bows left behind which will be thrown away.
evelyn joan

Post by evelyn joan »

At the moment I have both stitchbows & bobbins,the stitchbows are quite new to me & I like them. :)
I am presently using up my threads that are on bobbins as I have had those for some time.
My recently purchased new stock of threads (every colour from the VENUS range) :dance: are on stitchbows,& housed in a made for threads wooden 5 drawer storage box. :D
Threads have less "kinks" when using the stitchbows,than those wound onto bobbins.
Last edited by evelyn joan on Tue Aug 24, 2010 6:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.