Frame with or without glass?

Tips, Tricks & Techniques - anything to help fellow cross stitchers.

Moderators: rcperryls, Rose, karen4bells, Serinde, Alex

keagin

Frame with or without glass?

Post by keagin »

My mother always framed her stitchery without glass. Everyone else I know seems to frame theirs with glass. What is your preference? Any particular reason why?
coffee_freak

Re: Frame with or without glass?

Post by coffee_freak »

i would do with glass..protect it..my mom has a few without glass and they are yellowing with age and from cooking..etc.
If you get a comment of a :smile:,I must be holding my :coffee:
http://coffeecupcakescrossstitch.blogspot.com/
WIP:
Joan Elliot Spring Fairy
Cupcakes
Snuggle Up
2012 HD's
Bohemia
Fairy Friend
Capricious

Post by Capricious »

Always with glass for the sake of protecting the piece. I find that people like fingering exposed stitches pieces, and this can lead to dirt accumulation and/or damage.
Farhana
========
Kitted: Lucia; HAED, QS Lady Bug Chat; HAED
WIP: Zodiac chart; Ellen Maurer-Stroh, QS Oliana Otter; HAED
Done: Cat and Flowers; Dimensions-craft

========
http://capriciousfmk.blogspot.com/" target="_blank" target="_blank
Wandatoo

Post by Wandatoo »

For me it depends somewhat on the size of the project. Smaller ones I usually don't use glass. But usually non-glare glass on larger projects.
Wandatoo

"Dogs come when they're called. Cats take a message and get back to you."
Rose

Post by Rose »

I think it depends on what you want to do and what the piece is.
If you are looking for some one to help change you, look in the mirror
pamelam

Post by pamelam »

I always frame my projects with glass to protect them.
Pam
Ingahaim

Post by Ingahaim »

Glass, but my framer uses something "new", it's like a film over your stitched project. Next time I'll go I'll ask him what it is, if anyone wants to know what is, that is.
jerrylee18

Post by jerrylee18 »

I always frame with anti-reflective glass
ali-cat

Post by ali-cat »

Ingahaim wrote:Glass, but my framer uses something "new", it's like a film over your stitched project. Next time I'll go I'll ask him what it is, if anyone wants to know what is, that is.
Yes please!! The cost of frames is the one thing that really upsets me - now Mark is going to make me some frames (he is good - won't just be hammering a couple bits of wood together! :lol: ) and I have been wondering what to do about glazing them!! If there is something out there that is easier to handle, than glass, I'd love to know!! :D
:kitty: Many years ago cats were worshipped as gods. Cats have never forgotten this.

WIP
Joan Elliott's Woodland Goddess
mig-3

Post by mig-3 »

ali-cat wrote:[The cost of frames is the one thing that really upsets me - now Mark is going to make me some frames (he is good - won't just be hammering a couple bits of wood together!
I'm with you there. One of the things I hate most about living in an apartment is not having a place to work on things. With tool, time and materials, you don't necessarily save a lot of money, but there is so much satisfaction doing it yourself. My Granddad was a builder and carpenter. I think he passed the"hands-on" gene to me.
Jarvis
vanessanjf

Post by vanessanjf »

I use frames with glass
Vanessa

A little progress every day adds up to big results

WIP
The adoration of the kings- Golden kite completed
Nachstenliebe

Post by Nachstenliebe »

My mom taught me the same, without glass. So most my pieces do not have glass. So far they seem ok....I dunno about how they'll fair in the long run I guess... I don't get people touching them though... most people just think they're portraits until someone points out that I stitch :roll:
Faith
Pengwenn

Post by Pengwenn »

I'm too afraid of yellowing or dust/dirting collecting on a project that I worked so hard to finish so I get glass. The last couple of ones were anti-glare/archival and it cost more but there were things I want to last a lifetime and then some.
current project rotation:
Twilight Balloon Flight
The Accolade
Faces of Faery 89
Dad's Flower Pot
hanma

Post by hanma »

So far, I've always used glass when framing. Yes, tought by my mother who told me to prevent the works from dust... So I keep framing them with glass, though I think it's a pity to loose the structure in the stitching.
Vega

Post by Vega »

I also use glass if its a frame piece. I just never thought much about framing it without glass. I do hav a cousin that had a stitched piece without glass and I remember thinking it was such a pity that it got so dirty. She told me it was glued to the backing so she couldn't even wash it.
2Danes

Post by 2Danes »

vega wrote:I do hav a cousin that had a stitched piece without glass and I remember thinking it was such a pity that it got so dirty. She told me it was glued to the backing so she couldn't even wash it.
That is really sad!! All that hard work :(

I haven't stitched anything that is worth framing, however, Shades of Red will be the first. My Grandmother painted as a hobby (among knitting, quilting, crochet, embroidery..etc) When she passed away, my Mom took many of her paintings :) A few years ago, Mom offered them to me, as Hubby and I had bought a house. Mom and my Step-Dad both smoke, so the paintings were in need of some very serious cleaning. Because of the experience with the paintings, I will be framing with glass just for that protection.
Happy Stitching,
Heather

WIP:
Butterfly Alphabet: DS 07/13/10

Planned:
Shades of Red
Taj Mahal Mandala Garden
Tempest In a Teacup
annkor26

Post by annkor26 »

The LNS I used to go to (before they closed) to get my stuff framed didn't use glass unless requested to because they said that moisture could get trapped inside and cause mold or mildew. Maybe not an issue in climates with low humidity.
keagin

Post by keagin »

I have to admit I am surprised by how many of you use glass. I guess growing up without stitchery being framed with glass I assumed it was more common.

I will admit my mom had stitched something for me a few years ago and I took it in the get framed with glass and the lady discouraged it due to the if "moisture gets in there it will cause mold and mildew". Since I never asked mom why she doesn't use glass I was curious what you all had to say. I have a few projects coming up and was trying to decide if I was going to use glass or not.
stitchiemom

Post by stitchiemom »

I have always framed without glass. I learned this from my mom as well, and she from her mom. I have a special duster that I use only on my stitched pieces (not on the furniture) so I avoid spreading the dust. I dust the stitched part first (LIGHTLY) then the frame. Right now I have so many pieces waiting to be framed, I roll them in tissue paper to protect them.(a tip I read somewhere)
Hope

WIP
HAED Wolves Peak
Garden of Eden
Magnificent Wizard

2012 Completed
Wedding Record
BecomingMe

Post by BecomingMe »

Living where I do, moisture is NOT an issue...actually lack of moisture is more the issue...and dust...we can get massive dust storms and the dust creeps in everywhere...
(here is a picture of a dust storm rolling in our area...http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Haboob2.jpg...so yeah, I frame most everything with glass...I don't use the photo frames in which the glass is against the fabric...cuz that just squishes the stitches, but the glass set like how you would set it if you had an oil on canvas kinda work...or even in a shadow type box...
The Earth Smiles in Flowers