Lighting

Tips, Tricks & Techniques - anything to help fellow cross stitchers.

Moderators: rcperryls, Rose, karen4bells, Serinde, Alex

Ceitidh

Lighting

Post by Ceitidh »

The current thing I am stitchign has a lot of different shades of blue in it and I have been really struggling to stitch it, not being able to see where I have been and the differences. Been finding it hard to find the holes too on the grey/blue 16 count fabric. I thought I was going to have to go back to the optician again because my eyesight was getting a lot worse.

Last night I had to go sit in the kitchen to stitch instead of my usual spot in the living room with my additional lamp beside me and what a difference - I was stitching at twice the speed I was before and actually puting the stitches through the holes and not the fabric lol.

I am surprised that I didn't realise what the problem was before now but am amazed at how much difference the different light made and that I could stitch for longer because my eyes weren't strained.

Think I need to invest in a lamp that is specifically for doing work like cross stitch. Where do you all stitch and what additional lighting do you use??
WIP

Dimensions Gold Pleasures of Winter
Dimensions Gold Candy Cane Santa
Anchor Winter Sun

www.albastitcher.blogspot.co.uk
My Facebook
Angel

Re: Lighting

Post by Angel »

I do have a lamp for stitching, but I don't use it much. I can see with my regular lights well enough.
pamelam

Post by pamelam »

I stitch in the living room because it faces east and has a side window facing south. It's sunny mostly all day long. I used to be able to stitch anytime of day or night with just regular lamplight, but when I hit my mid thirties, I found I could see better in the natural daylight. I can't stitch by lamplight anymore, not even the Ott Lights.
Pam
Granny

Post by Granny »

I stitch mostly at night and I try to stitch where I have a daylight bulb shining on it. I had trouble seeing last night and just realized that the lamp head was moved from the regular angle. It will be better tonight.
Agnes (Granny Agnes)
SusanF

Post by SusanF »

I much prefer stitching in daylight and am lucky to have a settee beside a great big window - my favourite place to stitch. However in the evening I nearly always use my daylight lamp. It's not till you try one of these that you realise just how good they are.
Susan

My Stitchy blog: SF Stitch
(updated 16th April 2010)
ohstitcher

Post by ohstitcher »

I haven't had much trouble stitching with just a regular lamp. But at christmastime I got a gift card from Joann fabrics and they were having a sale on OTT lamps in jan, I purchased a floor lamp for 1/2 the price and what a big difference in my stitching I can see much better and can stitch anytime of day/night. Yes the lamps are expensive but if you can find a sale and have the funds it's worth it.
There is something about the outside of a horse that is good for the inside of man ~ Winston Churchill~
Rose

Post by Rose »

Here is a link to a light that looks very similar to the one I use. I have had mine for 3 to 4 years and I can't stitch at night with out it.

Mine was cheaper and you could look around for a bit better price but from my experience the price is well worth it for fatigue and other comfort in the long term.

http://us.daylightcompany.com/home/product/?id=584" target="_blank
If you are looking for some one to help change you, look in the mirror
Dazbo666

Post by Dazbo666 »

If I'm stitching during the day, I like to stay in the bedroom, because we have a large window the full width of the room, so the light is excellent in there.
Evenings and winter days, I tend to stay in the living room where I have a floor standing lamp similar to this one

ImageImageImageImageImageImage

See my Stitching Projects - LOTS of project pics updated 12 July '09

"Life is not about waiting for the storms to pass...
it's about learning how to dance in the rain."
Granny

Post by Granny »

My lamp is similar to Dazoo's and I use the daylight CLF bulbs in the highest wattage I can find.
Agnes (Granny Agnes)
Serinde

Post by Serinde »

I mostly stitch at night, too, and couldn't even begin to do so without both my lamp with daylight bulb and the magnifying lens. Take the best care of your eyes as you can while you are young!
burgundyice

Post by burgundyice »

This is like mine, I do most stitching sitting up in bed and it clips onto the top of the headboard. One bulb lasted 10 months, although that was with a lot of use :)
Also like stitching in the daylight in the same spot but don't get much chance at this time of year!

Louise
HAED WIPS: Too many to list!
frankattleborough

Post by frankattleborough »

Try this website http://www.easylighting.co.uk" target="_blank , they have an enormous number of lights for all situations. They are always willing to give help and advice.
Smile and the world smiles with you

Work in progress

Family Coat of Arms - Finished
Spike in Charge (Kit) Restarted
Water Garden - Tapestry - will take about another year!!
Norwich Cathedral
Slinky

Post by Slinky »

I have a lamp like Dazbo which I find essential, but I have seen another lamp advertised in XS magazines which has caught my interest. The company is called Serious Readers. I might investigate this one more as I find light makes a material difference to my ability to stitch effectively.
~ girls with dreams grow into women with vision ~

WIPs:
The Sweetheart Tree 12 Days of Christmas
Sharon Pope's Gingerbread Cottage
Chatelaine Christmas Mystery 2011
Ceitidh

Post by Ceitidh »

Thanks for all the suggestions. :D
WIP

Dimensions Gold Pleasures of Winter
Dimensions Gold Candy Cane Santa
Anchor Winter Sun

www.albastitcher.blogspot.co.uk
My Facebook
Nachstenliebe

Post by Nachstenliebe »

The light comes in perfectly into our living room during the day, so I don't need any lighting. Our lighting in our house at night is AWFUL! No light fixtures at all in the living room. I have a desklight I use but I really need something better. This summer we're going to put recessed lighting in and hubby had this idea to put a light fixture into the wall where I sit.. Here's hoping!
Faith
vanessanjf

Post by vanessanjf »

I have a portable daylight lamp. It definitely makes a difference and at night time I take it upstairs with me to read in bed.
Vanessa

A little progress every day adds up to big results

WIP
The adoration of the kings- Golden kite completed
Becca

Post by Becca »

I have a lamp like Dazbo's. It has a halogen bulb in it and the light is excellent (far better than the daylight bulb I had in a normal lamp previously)
Click the banner above to visit us at Crafts 'n' Creatures!

And my blog which is full of all my stitching
stitchingmae

Post by stitchingmae »

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/images ... =8-1-spell" target="_blank

this is the light i use when i stitch in bed...or when my hubby is watching a movie and doesn't want a glare on the tv LOL