Mold Patches >:( Picture included (updated picture! pg2)

Tips, Tricks & Techniques - anything to help fellow cross stitchers.

Moderators: rcperryls, Rose, karen4bells, Serinde, Alex

Serinde

Post by Serinde »

Considered them crossed. Toes, too.
Jilly

Post by Jilly »

Best of luck!
Iconised Ghost

Post by Iconised Ghost »

Thanks ^_^ if all goes well i'll post another picture. If it all goes disasterously wrong, I'll post another picture :mrgreen:

Edit: its washed! most of the stains seemed to have come out, theres a couple of stubborn ones but I can always do the whole thing again. I used shout heavy duty stain remover which comes with a gel producing brush so I could get it right into the stains. Im not sure but some of the orange colour may have come out. Its odd, because none of the other colours did and when I dabbed it none came out of the orange either. But there was a light orange patch on my teatowel when I moved it outside, and a small orange tinted puddle near the sink. Very peculiar. But it doesnt look faded so all should be good. Will post picture after its dried!

Edit 2: when i took it out of the frame it definately did smell of mildew

Edit 3: Here is what it looks like now:

It looks fantastic! Mould and mildew free, you guys really are the best :')

As for the frame, what concentration of vinegar solution should I use? Will it bleach the colour of the frame? I suppose that can't really be avoided for the paper/card part of it, but the wood might be alright I suppose[/i]
wendywombat

Post by wendywombat »

What an improvement!! :shock: Even un-ironed I can see the difference! :D

Well done. As for the the frame?? Well it deserves to look a little 'stressed' after all it's put you through!! :lol: :lol: Give the d#*@## thing a good scrub in a soapy solution and leave it in the sun to dry!!
Jilly

Post by Jilly »

That is great news :D it looks fantastic.
I agree with Wendy about the frame.
Is it possible to buy a new backing board for it? just to be on the safe side.
mags

Post by mags »

Oh that looks great - well done 8)

Sorry I wasn't able to input any ideas earlier - everyone else seems to have got you sorted though - they are a great lot here :D
ConnieO

Post by ConnieO »

That looks so much better Ghost! Well done! :D :D :D
A stitch in time is my idea of a perfect day!
Connie :-)
Serinde

Post by Serinde »

What a success! You must be really, really please (and relieved?!). I know I am... :lol:

Here's another suggestion for you: when you come to dampen it before ironing, use distilled water (not just bottled water -- it's not the same thing) to either spritz it and/or put in your iron, if it's a steam iron.

Yes, scrub the bejeebers out of the frame, getting into every crack and crevice. Then into friendly sunshine again until it's REALLY dry.
lacemaker2004

Post by lacemaker2004 »

You could probably get away with a light bleach solution for the frame, especially the inside crevices that would touch the piece, in case anything is hiding in there. I'd let the goober back in the sun for at least a day and definitely go for new boards. The paper can really harbor the mildew.

Glad it all worked
coffee_freak

Post by coffee_freak »

that looks so much better! i'm so glad this turned out ok!
If you get a comment of a :smile:,I must be holding my :coffee:
http://coffeecupcakescrossstitch.blogspot.com/
WIP:
Joan Elliot Spring Fairy
Cupcakes
Snuggle Up
2012 HD's
Bohemia
Fairy Friend
Rose

Post by Rose »

Oh I am so glad that it is coming out and a second wash or even a third would not be a terrible thing. I would wash the frame with a very light bleach if you think the wood can handle it or a 50/50 vinegar if you are worried over the result. I would definitley let the frame dry for a couple days. The backing must be replaced as paper holds on to mold so much more then anything else. Can you go to a crafting store and get an acid free backi9ng that would be the best.
If you are looking for some one to help change you, look in the mirror
Iconised Ghost

Post by Iconised Ghost »

Thanks everyone, it really does look fantastic. Im absolutely stoked at how its turned out :D I havent ironed it yet, but at the moment there is no point as i havent sorted the frame yet. I'll probably wash the frame with both vinegar and soap and chuck it out in the sun. Ill try and replace the backing too. (I cant do this at the moment though because we are just coming out of a tropic cyclone >.< hot, wet and humid, not good for drying things!)