Blackwork Problem

Tips, Tricks & Techniques - anything to help fellow cross stitchers.

Moderators: rcperryls, Rose, karen4bells, Serinde, Alex

Rose

Blackwork Problem

Post by Rose »

So I got this blackwork dragon and I picked the color of the aida and the thread but the work is just not right. I'm unhappy :x with the way it is stitching. I have only done a couple blackworks before and they were very simple borders that turned out fine.

Have any of you done a picture of black work and what is the trick? Am I going to have to buy some evenweave or something to make this thing work.

Oh also I am working with 14 count Aida does the count make a big difference? The design is done over 2 on Zweigart Quaker Cloth that is the same as 14 aida from my calculations :?: Am I wrong?

Suggestions please maybe I amy just being to picky with the fist section should I get some more done before I frog yet again or should I throw in the towel and get different cloth?
If you are looking for some one to help change you, look in the mirror
Genevieve

Post by Genevieve »

I'm working on a piece of blackwork at the moment, Rose -my first attempt. It's just a simple flower design by Mary Hickmott, but it is worked on 28 count, so maybe it is the fact that you are working on 14 count which is making you unhappy about it. I'm stitching backstitch, but think I will have a go at Holbein Stitch next time. But, hey, what do I know? I'm sure somebody more experienced will be able to help you more. Good luck with it. :D
raelou

Post by raelou »

Rose Can you explain more? I'm sure the best person would be Serinde to ask though.
Serinde

Post by Serinde »

No, Rose, your calculations are correct. Though the open texture of Aida may be at fault, as Genevieve suggests.

Check that your tension is correct: it's so easy to pull a running stitch too tightly and, using Aida, it would be very noticeable. Are you using backstitch or Holbein? Would railroading your thread help it lie flatter and so look better? Are you working in negative (dark fabric and light floss)? This is difficult to do successfully on evenweave, nevermind Aida!

Can you put it up on the SAL thread so we can see? It would be a shame to invest a lot of time now and be unhappy with the finish if the problem is simply the fabric.
Rose

Post by Rose »

I will try tonight after work to get a pic up so you can see. I don't know I may have to buy some linen or evenweave and do it on that.
Rose

Post by Rose »

I have actually figured out how to post a picture into a thread and put up a picture of the work I am having a problem with. I can't figure out what I should do it is so frustrating.
Ekidna

Post by Ekidna »

To post up a pic in a thread you need an image code (IMG code). You can get this by uploading your picture to photobucket. http://photobucket.com/ (It's free to join)

Underneath the picture you upload to your photobucket album there are about 3 or 4 codes the bottom one is the one you need. Just copy and paste into your post and then your picture will appear... hope that helps!

Are there any half stitches in the design? They make a huge difference on aida compared to evenweave or linen. Apart from that I can't comment as I havn't done any blackwork myself yet.

Facebook: Sarah-Kay Scholefield
Twitter: purplechidna

My WIP's
Home Sweet Home Cushion Sets
Flower Set - 2 to go
Olga Gostin Australian Houses Set - 4 to go
Ekidna

Post by Ekidna »

Sorry, Rose, I've just realised I had read your post wrong, I didn't mean to patronise you, I realised my mistake when I saw your pic in the SAL.... sorry!! :oops: :shifty:

My WIP's
Flower Set - 2 to go
Rose

Post by Rose »

oh gosh no worries. It is just good information for anyone that isn't sure how to get a picture into there post. I may, if you don't mind, take it and put it as a sticky in the information section so that it is there for all to use.
Ekidna

Post by Ekidna »

I think that's a good idea, no worries!!

My WIP's
Flower Set - 2 to go
henrietta

Post by henrietta »

You shouldn't have problems doing Blackwork on Aida as long as you use a sharp needle. I do loads of Blackwork on Aida & as long as there are not too many partial stitches, it turns out fine. If it's a pattern with a lot of partials, I tend to use evenweave though.