DOUBLE POINTED CROSS STITCH NEEDLES

Tips, Tricks & Techniques - anything to help fellow cross stitchers.

Moderators: rcperryls, Rose, karen4bells, Serinde, Alex

Linda L. Sherman

DOUBLE POINTED CROSS STITCH NEEDLES

Post by Linda L. Sherman »

I have seen the double pointed needles with the single eye for cross stitching. Has anyone out there ever used them? Did you like them? What if any problems did you run into with them? Thanks.
Linda <><
Serinde

Post by Serinde »

I've seen them, but never used them. They are designed to speed up stitching and might be an asset if you are a two-handed stitcher: you never have to 'turn' the needle. Might also be good if you have RSI of any sort.
mags

Post by mags »

I have never used (or even seen) one but have read somewhere that it can wear out the floss with constantly rubbing up and down the eye.
mags

WIPs:
Heritage Tower Bridge (yes still :roll: )
various bits and bobs
coffee_freak

Post by coffee_freak »

ive heard the same as mags..i haven't used them either..as of now it doesn't bother me to turn needle
If you get a comment of a :smile:,I must be holding my :coffee:
http://coffeecupcakescrossstitch.blogspot.com/
WIP:
Joan Elliot Spring Fairy
Cupcakes
Snuggle Up
2012 HD's
Bohemia
Fairy Friend
Linda L. Sherman

A THANKS

My goodness you ladies are fast! Thank you so much. I'll probably wait for more answers for now. I don't mind turning the needle but just thought this particular item would speed up the cross stitch. Thanks again.
Linda <><
lacemaker2004

Post by lacemaker2004 »

I tried them and wasn't very successful. though at the same time I'm not very comfortable with the scroll and that seems to be the preferred method of fabric suspension with the double ended needle. I think i passed mine along as I knew i'd never get comfortable with them
Linda L. Sherman

Scroll

I haven't ever liked using the scroll myself. My husband made wooden holders for the ends of the scroll so it would actually rest on the arms of my chair as I stitched. I still wasn't happy with it.
Linda <><
lacemaker2004

Post by lacemaker2004 »

I find I like the q snaps with the frame for the hand-dyeds only.
Linda L. Sherman

Hey Lace

Isn't it funny how we're all so different! I have tried the Q Snaps and found that my left hand would tire and cramp from holding it. Every now and then I'll give it another try and find the same thing.
Linda <><
Rose

Post by Rose »

This has come up before and not many people seem to find the double ended neddles to be that much better or faster and also they do say that the back and forth of the thread in the eye does tend to saw the thread and make it break easier.

A very late Welcome to the board Linda. I have been away and busy. I hope you have found us useful and friendly.

I personally love the q-snaps but the larger sizes can make the hand cramp so my husband and I are trying to get the stand I have to hold the frames.
If you are looking for some one to help change you, look in the mirror
lacemaker2004

Re: Hey Lace

Post by lacemaker2004 »

Linda L. Sherman wrote:Isn't it funny how we're all so different! I have tried the Q Snaps and found that my left hand would tire and cramp from holding it. Every now and then I'll give it another try and find the same thing.
I found that too when I work with the q snaps or a hoop that is large and I have a fairly large handspan. I did find though that if I work with either one in about a 5 inch size I'm fine. I have a q snap now for one of my Mirabilia's that is about 11 inches and I can use it well on either the frame or by balancing it against my boobs :P
Linda L. Sherman

Wouldn't Work Here!

I didn't know that the Q snaps came that large! As far as the balancing act, that sure wouldn't work for me! :(
Linda <><
Serinde

Post by Serinde »

:lol: :lol: Wish I could give you a bit on permanent loan!!
lacemaker2004

Post by lacemaker2004 »

Hey, don't worry, mine aren't big and since i'm in my mid-40's the eyeballs like things further away so it helps that they're smaller.

As for the q snaps, they're additive so you can pretty much make the size you need. You can buy additional pieces and clamps at the store or on line.

Rose,
I bought a adaptor thingie for q snaps for my Gazelle scroll stand. It's a wooden piece that fits inside the piece that holds the scoll frame. If your husband is handy, he might be able to devise something similar if you don't have the gazelle. Let me know I can send over a picture and how it works.
Alyson
Linda L. Sherman

Generous

All of you are so kind and generous. I would like a picture of how the adapter works. I have looked it up and THINK I know, but could still use a picture. If it's what I think, my husband could make one for me. With the adapter and the permanent loan of a bigger chest I'd be all set! :D
Do any of you ladies keep the time on your stitching? I have just started to and am surprised when it comes to the number of hours put into a piece.
Tomorrow being Christmas Eve, I imagine most of us won't be on, so let me wish you all a Merry Christmas today.
Linda <><
lacemaker2004

Post by lacemaker2004 »

I'll try to take a picture tomorrow. It's just a few pieces of wood and should be real easy to make. They only charge $5 for it so it's nothing fancy.
Serinde

Post by Serinde »

Loan is all set; just have to sign the papers. :lol:

I don't keep track of the time it takes me to stitch because I'm so slow!

Well, off to do Christmas Eve things. Probably won't have time to check in later today, so Happy Christmas, everyone! :)
lacemaker2004

Post by lacemaker2004 »

Okay, I've got the pictures of the q snap adaptor. And since I'm a dummy about embedding the photos here I'll place them in my gallery.

[/img]
Rose

Post by Rose »

Thanks for the pictures Alyson. I will have a look and see if that will work with my stand. Right at the time Christmas has taken over the room and my stand is in hiding.

Hubby is pretty handy that is not the problem the problem is getting him to look at what I have and wht would be the best solution for it. He is a pretty crafty guy once he takes the time to study it.
If you are looking for some one to help change you, look in the mirror