Book Club....Reviews

Moderators: rcperryls, Rose, karen4bells, Serinde, Alex

Busy_B

Re: Book Club....Reviews

Post by Busy_B »

Just finished reading Stella Cameron's Glass House. This is the second book I've read by her. Technically she is a romance writer (which I don't really care for), but the book says that it is a romantic suspense. She definitely writes suspense/mystery books with a little bit of the romantic put in there. Her books have some good "scenes" :oops: if you like the romantic books, but they are a very small part of her books.

Back of Book:

British photographer Olivia FitzDurham is running for her life--all the way to New York City and a man she's never met. The pictures she took for a London magazine seem harmless, but the man who tried to push her off the tube platform definitely meant business.

NYPD detective Aiden Flynn isn't the "Sam" Olivia thinks she met on the Internet, but he suspects that the man who is poses a real thread to Olivia's safety--as well as his own.

Suddenly Olivia and Aiden are the targets in a dangerous game that will take them across the country and the Atlantic. On the run from a ring of thieves desperate for Olivia's incriminating photos, the two strangers must work together to clear their names--and escape with their lives....
WIPs: There Be Dragons, Feed My Sheep, Canyon Flight HAED, Lotus Flowers HAED, Christmas Cove
oh-sew-sarah

Post by oh-sew-sarah »

I've just finished reading Eragon by Christopher Paolini. It's the first part of a trilogy and about a young boy called Eragon who finds a mysterious blue stone in the forest near his home, only it's not a stone - it's a dragon egg. It hatches and he becomes the first new Dragon-Rider in, like, 100 years. The King is also a dragon rider but it a baddy, so Eragon and his trainer Brom set off to find sactuary with the rebels called the Varder.

It's actually a kids / teen book (think Harry Potter) and although it takes a while to get going its actually really exciting and definately makes you want to read the 2nd and 3rd books. Please, please, please don't let the rubbish film version put you off. The film is nothing like the book!

Really enjoyed the first book and am about a third of the way into the 2nd.
silviaciuchi

Post by silviaciuchi »

Mabel Figworthy wrote:The Beginners Guide to Miniature Embroidery by Elizabeth Anderson -- if you've ever considered doing miniature embroidery and venturing into silk gauze, start here! It's got great tips and lovely designs, too.

You can have a look at some of the pages here
This sounds so nice to me, I'm going to check it out...
- SILVIA -
"To the extent that this world surrenders its richness & diversity, it surrenders its poetry. To the extent that it relinquishes its capacity to surprise, it relinquishes its magic"
Pooky

Post by Pooky »

I can highly recommend anything by Jodi Picoult, her books are all stand-alone reads and have amazing, detailed story lines which really draw you in, I find it difficult to stop reading once I've picked them up.

Some others I've enjoyed recently are 'The Friday Night Knitting Club' by Kate Jabobs, an odd title Ithought which was what made me pick it up, it's an interwoven tale of women living in New York City adnd the bonds they create though a craft, thought by many to be an old womens pass time (ring any bells to the reactions you've had in the past when you tell peopel you cross-stitch or sew?!?). Very enjoyable.

Another is 'The Boy in the Striped Pyjamas' by John Boyle, a fascinaating read about a young boys perception of the Holocaust.

Will have a think about some others, looking forward to getting hold of some of the recommendations from some of you too.

Pooks xxx
To the World you may be just one person, but to one person you maybe the World!
SusanF

Post by SusanF »

I've just recently finished reading The Time Traveller's Wife by Audrey Niffenegger and would thoroughly recommend it. Don't be put off by the title if you're not a sci-fi fan - it's not that type of book.

The book starts off pretty slowly and it takes a bit of time to get used to the format as it jumps about as you would expect from someone who involuntarily time travellers back and forward in his life. His wife first meets him when she is only 6 and he is in his late thirties and already married to her! But bear with it. It is a heartbreaking read and will stay with you for days afterwards. Feel free to read the first half wherever you like, but after that be prepared for tears - I spent the last few days of reading it hiding in the bathroom trying not to let my family see my red-rimmed eyes!

I haven't seen the film, so I'm keen to know how it compares to the book. Anyone read/watched both?
Susan

My Stitchy blog: SF Stitch
(updated 16th April 2010)