Quilting

Moderators: rcperryls, Rose, karen4bells, Serinde, Alex

minij

Quilting

Post by minij »

I went to an art and craft festival today in a church and fell in love with some beautiful quilts :drool:
I think I would like to give it a try but don't have a clue where to start, essential equipment etc. I think I would also have to purchase one of those small sewing machines :thinks: does anyone have one and do they work. I am not sure how I would find the time either :thinks:
meerkat

Re: Quilting

Post by meerkat »

This is my small electric sewing machine minij. I am no seamstress, but I have found this useful for light to medium stitching, nothing heavy like thick material.It has a reverse mode and I especially like the zig zag stitch mode. You can see the different stitches it does, on the machine. The instructions for threading it are clear. It has a foot switch to operate it. I haven't tried quilting, but I think my sewing machine would be ideal for it. I think I paid £39.99 for it about 18 months ago, but I think they are cheaper now on some web sites.

:ratherbe:
:tea: :cake:
Red

Post by Red »

I've got a normal size sewing machine basically because when I'd finally settled into my own home with hubby, I felt every woman should have a sewing machine.

I haven't used it much yet but that is changing.

I'm starting to also quilt but can't give you much details on starting. I'm working on a quilted table runner which a friend has shown me. However, she cut and prepped everything so I'm really only sewing it together. The next step is doing it myself :)

However, she suggested that taking a class usually offered through local sewing or craft store or in papers, etc. is very helpful and looking on line and there are some good books out there.

I'm not that far myself and opted not to go with a mini machine just in case one day I wanted to actually make some stuff (including clothes) for myself!

Good luck though and keep us posted on how you get on. If I manage to finish my table runner, I'll post a picture.
SusanF

Post by SusanF »

I've made one little quilt and really enjoyed stitching it all together. But I must admit then found the quilting part of it quite boring to do. Some places will do this part for you (at a price of course!).

I would very much recommend a rotary wheel to cut out your fabric. You would also need a cutting mat and a special quilt ruler - but it's so much easier and more prcise than using scissors. A great book for learning about quilting is "Your First Quilt Book (or it should be!)" by Carol Doak. It tells you absolutely everything you might need to know about starting off in quilting and the one quilt I have made came from this book.
Susan

My Stitchy blog: SF Stitch
(updated 16th April 2010)
mags

Post by mags »

I have never done any quilting and haven't got a small sewing machine so I can't advise. But I remember bookmarking this site for if I ever got into it http://thetabbycat.com/shop/" target="_blank
:D
mags

WIPs:
Heritage Tower Bridge (yes still :roll: )
various bits and bobs
minij

Post by minij »

Meerkat - Thanks so much for the pic and info about the small sewing machine that was the make I was looking at on the internet. :thinks: perhaps after Christmas I may get one

SusanF, thanks for the info I have heard about the rotary cutter, I will look that up and also thanks for recommending a book, will check that out as well

Red - I have a very heavy sewing machine that doesn't work and to be honest I havn't used it for years, so thought a small one may be better. Look forward to seeing a pic of your quilting when it is finished, good luck

Mags - thanks also I will check that website out.
kazzi29

Post by kazzi29 »

i think cross stitcher are giving one away when you take out a subscription :D
Spring Palette 15950/170800 9.33%
Sapphire Birthstone 15120/240000 6.30%
Ari 8840/157850 5.60%
Spring Luna 7840/46620 16.81%
RAE 600/48840 1.22%
Sadness of an angel /118800 0.00%
Nellie / 0.00%
Mabel Figworthy

Post by Mabel Figworthy »

A very very tiny one :-) -- I've got it but haven't tried it yet :oops: However when my kingfisher is finished I want to make it into a cushion so i'll have to learn to use it!
Visit Mabel's Fancies at www.mabelfigworthy.co.uk
WIPs
Elizabethan Beauty, RSN Certificate & Online
Waiting
Soli Deo Gloria, Mechthild, bling unicorn, goldwork & silk shading kits

Flights of Fancy (blog)
Mabel's FB page
Cockneystitcher

Post by Cockneystitcher »

[quote="minij"]Meerkat - Thanks so much for the pic and info about the small sewing machine that was the make I was looking at on the internet. :thinks: perhaps after Christmas I may get one

With Christmas fast approaching and if your very good,perhaps santie might surprise you. :D
WIP's
Trixie
Floral Flowers

http://juliesstitching.blogspot.com/" target="_blank

http://community.webshots.com/user/Cockneystitcher" target="_blank
minij

Post by minij »

kazzi29 - thanks but I already subscribe :D

cockneystitcher- I am trying to be good :roll: If anyone in my house picked up on a hint it would be a shock not a surprise. :shock: I would have to leave full details including where to purchase from etc etc. DH is hopeless at that sort of things
Angel

Post by Angel »

Sew Hip magazine usually has a quilt in each issue. This months quilt is ranked as intermediate, give me a moment I'll see if there's a simpler one.
Red

Post by Red »

:) Oh, my machine is a normal size but not what I would call large. It's a Husquavarna Sophia and is very simple. I like it a lot but I did just get a simple to use.

I think from what you described the ones you've narrowed it down to will be just right for starting with quilting.

I'm off to a craft fair specializing in needlework, quilting and knitting/crocheting etc this weekend so if I come across anything that'll help you as well, I'll post again!!

Good luck and I hope Santa is good to you!
Granny

Post by Granny »

I am an obsessed quilter though I also enjoy cross stitching. Any machine that straight stitches is all that is required in the machine requirements. However, without the rotary cutter, mat and rulers I would never have got into quilting. I like to frame my cross stitch pieces with quilted borders. So far, they are just straight fabric additions with the batting and backing to create a wall hanging.
Agnes (Granny Agnes)
~threadbear~

Post by ~threadbear~ »

Ooh that sounds interesting, would you be able to show as a picture of one please Granny?
:beg:
:choc: There's nothing better than a good friend, except a good friend with CHOCOLATE! :dance:
:choc: Forget love! I'd rather fall in CHOCOLATE! :wub:

Current :wip:
With Faith :dance:
Dogs
Snow Leopard (Haed)
Big Cats

Blog
Squirrel

Post by Squirrel »

I got hooked into quilting after moving here to Aussie as it is more prevalent than cross stitching.

I agree with all thats been said about tools, a beginners book and the machine you need.

Be warned though, it is very addictive and finding time for both quilts and cross stitching is a juggling match.

I have made several lap quilts (50x70 inches) for my grandchildren and still have quite a few to do - I have 10 grands . Oh yes you need a tape measure with both inches and centre metres on it. All quilting instructions are in inches.

Squirrel
Sally in Brisbane Australia

WIPS
Christmas Stocking from World of Cross Stitching mag. 262