How do you carry your WIP?

For all topics which do not fit in the other categories.

Moderators: rcperryls, Rose, karen4bells, Serinde, Alex

Ann_

How do you carry your WIP?

Post by Ann_ »

I used to have a very good carry bag for my WIP. But it started to get old, zipper broke and the plastic sheets to put cardboard bobbins in started to split.
Angel

Re: How do you carry your WIP?

Post by Angel »

I don't have a special way. Mines in a magazine in my laptop bag at the moment.
Kute Kitty

Post by Kute Kitty »

MIL bought me a special carrier last Christmas, with various sized charts, most of them zipped, for carrying everything I need. It's been to Kent (where the in-laws live) and back a few times and it's great :)
WIPs:
Snow Princess and the Polar Bear HAED

Plans:
Twinkle twinkle cushion for nephew's third birthday (September 2015)
Man U crests for husband and brother-in-law

Lisa

Post by Lisa »

all of them (except the haeds) are in one of these, http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... 0322307223" target="_blank" target="_blank , all the threads are bobbined up and marked :D

and then the haeds are in these, http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... 0383854091" target="_blank" target="_blank , with its own bobbin box and the folder with the pattern in
ohstitcher

Post by ohstitcher »

My current WIP is in a tote bag, I must say that the pattern is getting really worn so I made a working copy and the pattern book stays home now.
There is something about the outside of a horse that is good for the inside of man ~ Winston Churchill~
naystitches

Post by naystitches »

For traveling projects, I put the piece, chart and hoop in a ziploc bag and just put it in a tote bag with the bobbin box. Projects on scroll frames stay in the house usually. I'll just move the lap stand to where ever I feel like working.

Renee
:coffee:
Branlaadee

Post by Branlaadee »

My individual wips are each in plastic mesh project bags of varying sizes, depending on how big they are. The fabric, chart and floss (in floss-a-way bags on rings) fit perfectly. Sometimes I take them out that way, sometimes I put them in a tote bag if I have other stuff to carry around too.
WIPs: Too many to list
Finishes: Not enough to list
Brandy's Blog
K1nS

Post by K1nS »

Well, if its a kit that I am working on then I normally just keep putting it back in the packaging and just keep it in my stitching bag. If its just a chart etc. then I keep the chart and the actual project in my stitching bag and I have a seperate bobbins box for my threads.
Cecilia

Post by Cecilia »

K1nS wrote:Well, if its a kit that I am working on then I normally just keep putting it back in the packaging and just keep it in my stitching bag. If its just a chart etc. then I keep the chart and the actual project in my stitching bag and I have a seperate bobbins box for my threads.
Hey Hey. That's exactly what I do. :dance:
Completed 2017: Anniversary Sampler by The Sweetheart Tree

Love comforteth like sunshine after rain. Shakespeare
Lessa54

Post by Lessa54 »

My current one is a kit, so it goes back in its packaging and then :oops: in a plastic carrier bag for transport :oops: :oops: I do make sure it's a nice carrier bag though, not a food shopping one...
WIP
Rose Window
SQ Sunday afternoon on the Island of La Grande Jatte - pgs 1-3 complete
HAED Curl up with a Good Book
Around the World in 80 Stitches - pts 1-12 complete
Mabel's SOTW - Jan-June complete
HAED BB Sal
Lisa2758

Post by Lisa2758 »

I've got different things for my WIPs. At the moment I'm using a small Estee Lauder totebag one of my daughters gave me - a free gift from when she worked as a beautician. It's quite big so I've got pattern, fabric, Really Useful box for bobbins, thread holder, frame and one of those A4 plastic wallets plus a pencil case for highlighters, fabric marking pen, needles, scissors etc. I did have a basket but one of the dogs drops his ball in for me to play with him and my work kept getting dirty and threads kept sticking to the soggy ball so I've abandoned that.

I'm not keen on the A4 wallets though because they make the fabric smell weird.
andrea42

Post by andrea42 »

I have all the ones that im ready to do with fabric cut and charts in 3 gallon size freezer bags, the ones im working on are the same in a tote bag, i have a pencil box that holds the hilighters, scissors, pencil and whatever in it, since i have a huge car carrying case that i keep all my floss in i just get into that when i need a color and if it is small enough that im gonna take it with me then i just grab about 2 or 3 of the colors on bobbins and put them in there so i can work on them, as I only do one color on an entire page as it is so its easier for me. I have some that dont have lots of colors and i bought those cards that have the holes on them and you write the number on them and i carry that along as well if needed.
Sarah Gixxer

Post by Sarah Gixxer »

Mine vary - if I have made up my own kit from a photograph converted to a chart, or from a chart in a mag or something, I keep the pattern, the fabric and the bobbins with the appropriate threads on in a ziplock bag.

If it's a kit (such as my Lanarte sunflowers that I received last Christmas) I keep it in the original packet it came in.

My HAED has a special bobbin box for all its 90 colours, the zillion pages of chart are divided up into rows and each row is in a plastic pocket and the fabric itself which I keep on the frame as I work on it nearly every day, is on top of a cabinet with a clean towel under it and another on the top to keep dust and dog hairs off.
CURRENT WIPs
HAEDs - Bubble Telescope, Floatilla, Rainbow Embrace, Ray of Light, Iron Dragon, Newport Lighthouse
Fractal 239 Aero Chocolate
Dazbo666

Post by Dazbo666 »

My small scroll frame is the only one that leaves the house... usually inside a holdall or backpack, and tucked in between a clipboard (which holds the working copy of the current chart) and some magazines. The bobbins are on a metal craft ring, and kept with the pens etc in a side pocket.

My larger projects (the ones that stay at home) are in plastic storage boxes, roughly A3 in size...
Last edited by Dazbo666 on Mon Sep 21, 2009 2:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ImageImageImageImageImageImage

See my Stitching Projects - LOTS of project pics updated 12 July '09

"Life is not about waiting for the storms to pass...
it's about learning how to dance in the rain."
burgundyice

Post by burgundyice »

I've just started bringing my HAED in to work to stitch before I start & at lunch time, it's folded in a "strong" carrier with just the page I'm currently on and the card with the threads I need - the whole 90 colours take up 10 cards but all of the background colours are just on one. Thinking of getting one of those cloth shoulder bags for it though.

Louise
HAED WIPS: Too many to list!
~threadbear~

Post by ~threadbear~ »

I have a little padded bag for card size projects but for anything else I just use a carrier bag :oops: This isn't working well though, so I need something more appropriate ... I'm hoping to get good idea's from all of you now.
:)
:choc: There's nothing better than a good friend, except a good friend with CHOCOLATE! :dance:
:choc: Forget love! I'd rather fall in CHOCOLATE! :wub:

Current :wip:
With Faith :dance:
Dogs
Snow Leopard (Haed)
Big Cats

Blog
kerbear879

Post by kerbear879 »

:oops: :oops: I actually keep mine in the plastic bags they give you when you checkout from the store.. :oops: I keep telling myself I really should buy a tote bag or something to put my stuff in!
Kerri
Current WIP:
HAED Chessie-10,200 of 90,300 - 11%
HAED Catch a Falling Star-8,900 of 203,900 - 4%
HAED Wrath-46,630 of 240,000 - 19%

http://www.flickr.com/photos/kerbear879/sets/
~threadbear~

Post by ~threadbear~ »

:lol:
That's the same as me Kerri!
I made the mistake of keeping a full Pako needle thingy in it with my project though, and that didn't work well at all. :oops:

Those tote bags Lisa put a link to look reasonably priced. :thinks:
:choc: There's nothing better than a good friend, except a good friend with CHOCOLATE! :dance:
:choc: Forget love! I'd rather fall in CHOCOLATE! :wub:

Current :wip:
With Faith :dance:
Dogs
Snow Leopard (Haed)
Big Cats

Blog
Mabel Figworthy

Post by Mabel Figworthy »

I have a little bag which was a free gift, I think it was meant to be a cool bag of sorts, about 12x6x6 inches with an extra pocket on the top and several small ones round the side. The top flap holds my fabric scissors, a ruler, peacock scissors, 2 or 3 flexi hoops and a pencil and rubber. the small side pockets are empty but the front one holds little sealable bags with my stash of gold-plated needles in sizes 24, 26 and 28.
The big inside space is filled with (from the bottom working up):
a few aperture cards
narrow double-sided tape
tweezers
a piece of wadding
small sealable bags with ribbon (mostly sheer, some silk, some satin)
flower-pot buttons
bead containers
a piece of card covered in foil (just as a separator)
some small kits (a bookmark and some magazine kits)
two sealable bags of small pieces of different fabric/vinylweave/paper/aida band
3 calligraphy fountain pens (narrow medium and broad)
stitched needle case

This I take on long holidays; for emergency stitching in waiting rooms I have a few pieces of raw linen with snowflake motifs in white only which I carry in a sealable bag with a cheap thread cutter. One day all four will be finished and they'll become a rather elegant set of coasters :-).

For short trips like a vintage car weekend I may pack a slightly larger sealable bag with a flexi-hoop ready with fabric and a simple design with not too many colours.
Visit Mabel's Fancies at www.mabelfigworthy.co.uk
WIPs
Elizabethan Beauty, RSN Certificate & Online
Waiting
Soli Deo Gloria, Mechthild, bling unicorn, goldwork & silk shading kits

Flights of Fancy (blog)
Mabel's FB page
Granny

Post by Granny »

This thread is leading me back to quilting projects. I need to modify a few UFOs to make into carry bags for my cross stitch WIPs. That way I will be able to pick up a project when we take an unexpected road trip, like right now, and I have no stitching with me. Currently everything is in nothing dedicated as I have just nicely resurrected my cross stitch interest but want to make it my primary, rather than secondary craft or art form.
Agnes (Granny Agnes)