Do you have all the colors?

For all topics which do not fit in the other categories.

Moderators: rcperryls, Rose, karen4bells, Serinde, Alex

dollystitcher

Re: Do you have all the colors?

Post by dollystitcher »

I have the full set of solid colours and some of the light effects and variables. But this is only due to the wonderful prices from Katzxstitch on ebay. My children tend to give me money for birthdays etc as they know my passion is for stitching. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Lynne
WIP
Woodland Enchantress
Leonardo
Ice Dragon King(HAED)
Pedals

Do you have all the colors?

Post by Pedals »

I finally got to sit down today and organize all my DMC floss. I thought I had almost the whole range of colors, but as I was checking them off on a DMC chart I saw that I had barely even half! So how many of you out there actually have the whole range of floss you mostly use?
WIP: Too many to count
Completed: Too many to count
Want to begin: Too many to count
coffee_freak

Post by coffee_freak »

I do! I started years ago when the local craft shop had them 10 cents a skien..i went though the line, then my mom, then my dad..we did this for the whole weekend sales event..got every color..then when I saw they added new colors..i went and picked those up..sadly they are now almost 40 cents a skien..but still better price than most other countries can get them..

but I do have every color! :applesauce: lol
If you get a comment of a :smile:,I must be holding my :coffee:
http://coffeecupcakescrossstitch.blogspot.com/
WIP:
Joan Elliot Spring Fairy
Cupcakes
Snuggle Up
2012 HD's
Bohemia
Fairy Friend
Dazbo666

Post by Dazbo666 »

I've only been stitching for 2 or 3 years, and normally only buy new colours when I need them for the next project. I checked thru a DMC list just the other week and realised that I've got just over half of the DMC range, and about 30% of Anchor colours
ImageImageImageImageImageImage

See my Stitching Projects - LOTS of project pics updated 12 July '09

"Life is not about waiting for the storms to pass...
it's about learning how to dance in the rain."
Sarah Gixxer

Post by Sarah Gixxer »

I do the same, in that I buy the colours I need for each project, but I do have about 75% of the DMC range. I probably only have about 20% of Anchor and maybe 10% of Madeira.
CURRENT WIPs
HAEDs - Bubble Telescope, Floatilla, Rainbow Embrace, Ray of Light, Iron Dragon, Newport Lighthouse
Fractal 239 Aero Chocolate
kimkat_tkl

Post by kimkat_tkl »

I am slowly building up a collection of all the colours through buying what I need for a project, or if there is a sale on I will buy what I need for an upcoming project and maybe throw in one or two other colours that I don't yet have.

I've got about 75% of the solid DMC (plus all the variegated and some of the variations) and about 40% of the solid Anchor (again with all the variegated and a couple of the multicoloured).
~threadbear~

Post by ~threadbear~ »

I think I've got about 90% of the solid DMC colours now due to my eldest son and my mum buying some 2nd hand in bobbin boxes off ebay and me getting them in batches of 100 off the hong kong seller.

I really need to go through all my threads and sort out exactly what I have now. I need to finish getting the ones in skeins onto bobbins. :oops:
:choc: There's nothing better than a good friend, except a good friend with CHOCOLATE! :dance:
:choc: Forget love! I'd rather fall in CHOCOLATE! :wub:

Current :wip:
With Faith :dance:
Dogs
Snow Leopard (Haed)
Big Cats

Blog
tattyted

Post by tattyted »

I used to have the full DMC range, but am now missing a few of the newer colours, and I have about 90% of the Anchor range. Am slowly working my way through buying them, but am mainly doing kits at the mo as my stash has grown so large I can't store much more!
charmagne_capalad

Post by charmagne_capalad »

I just need to buy 40 and I'll have the complete set of solid DMC colors. :applesauce:
charmagne
"As we count our stitches...let us not forget to count our blessings..."
@mayneideas on instagram
Mabel Figworthy

Post by Mabel Figworthy »

Certainly not the full set, and hardly any Anchor or Madeira -- I tend to get what I need for a project if I haven't yet got it, and if there is a sale on in America and Barb offers to be floss mom :-) I get a few more. There are colours I'm fairly certain I'll never use, and some are so close to others that I'm quite happy not to have the full set.

I'm also building up quite a collection of silks, I have a fair few (though by no means the whole 600+ range :shock: ) of Eterna flat silk, and of Madeira silk; I've got the entire Chameleon Threads Shades of Africa range in Soie d'Alger, and about 25-30 each of Carrie's Creation, Vikki Clayton and Rainbow Gallery Splendor (I want more of those!!!), and then quite a few brands I've got anywhere between 1 and 5 of, to try out.
Visit Mabel's Fancies at www.mabelfigworthy.co.uk
WIPs
Elizabethan Beauty, RSN Certificate & Online
Waiting
Soli Deo Gloria, Mechthild, bling unicorn, goldwork & silk shading kits

Flights of Fancy (blog)
Mabel's FB page
Slinky

Post by Slinky »

I'm fortunate enough to have the full sets of Anchor and DMC threads (one was a gift, the other I treated myself to). I also have all the DMC metallics, variations, light effects etc. And I'm an utter magpie for hand dyed silks ...

I really enjoy looking at them and organising them, and justify the expense by figuring the cost of threads doesn't even touch the sides of husband's golf club membership!
~ girls with dreams grow into women with vision ~

WIPs:
The Sweetheart Tree 12 Days of Christmas
Sharon Pope's Gingerbread Cottage
Chatelaine Christmas Mystery 2011
Mabel Figworthy

Post by Mabel Figworthy »

Slinky wrote:I really enjoy looking at them and organising them, and justify the expense by figuring the cost of threads doesn't even touch the sides of husband's golf club membership!
:lol:
Visit Mabel's Fancies at www.mabelfigworthy.co.uk
WIPs
Elizabethan Beauty, RSN Certificate & Online
Waiting
Soli Deo Gloria, Mechthild, bling unicorn, goldwork & silk shading kits

Flights of Fancy (blog)
Mabel's FB page
Busy_B

Post by Busy_B »

I know I don't have the whole set of DMC. I used to pick them up when I could get them on sale for either 5 for a dollar or 6 for a dollar. I actually need to update my spreadsheet with the colors I bought during the last sale. I'm sure I have most, if not all, of the colors (including multiple skeins of certain colors) for 5 or 6 of the patterns I want to do soon.
Mabel Figworthy wrote: I tend to get what I need for a project if I haven't yet got it, and if there is a sale on in America and Barb offers to be floss mom :-)
Nothing yet sale wise. I'm thinking they should have one or two more sales on the floss before the end of the year. :D
WIPs: There Be Dragons, Feed My Sheep, Canyon Flight HAED, Lotus Flowers HAED, Christmas Cove
kerbear879

Post by kerbear879 »

I thought I wanted to go ahead and get the whole set but after I started stitching HAED's, I've decided to just buy what I need for each project otherwise I am going to have a pile of thread I never use and since they do seem to change the dye lots every once in awhile, it just didn't make sense for me to start collecting them. So right now I just have all the colors for both my HAED's and then I probably do have extra floating around somewhere in my closet which I do plan on cleaning out one of these days and will probably start giving away.
Kerri
Current WIP:
HAED Chessie-10,200 of 90,300 - 11%
HAED Catch a Falling Star-8,900 of 203,900 - 4%
HAED Wrath-46,630 of 240,000 - 19%

http://www.flickr.com/photos/kerbear879/sets/
Wandatoo

Post by Wandatoo »

I have all the solid DMC and many of the variegated. I try to keep one of each, because I hate to be missing a colour when I decide to do a project. I do a lot of small projects and cards, so it's easier to keep one of everything, because our small local store doesn't always have every colour in stock.

I got a head start several years ago when another local craft store went out of business. I picked up about 500 skeins for 20 cents apiece. Now they're 49 cents at Michaels and 69 cents at most smaller stores.
Wandatoo

"Dogs come when they're called. Cats take a message and get back to you."
Slinky

Post by Slinky »

Wandatoo wrote: I picked up about 500 skeins for 20 cents apiece.
:shock: :D :D
~ girls with dreams grow into women with vision ~

WIPs:
The Sweetheart Tree 12 Days of Christmas
Sharon Pope's Gingerbread Cottage
Chatelaine Christmas Mystery 2011
hada56

Post by hada56 »

I have the full set of DMC solids, plus a few of the variations, linens and special effects. Plus, about 80% of the Anchor solids, and just a few of their variations.
I have no silks, they seems a bit pricey for me, and the fact you can't wash most of them. :wink:
Pengwenn

Post by Pengwenn »

I have all DMC cotton and I think I have all the DMC Rayon. There might be a color or two that the store was out of when I starting picking them up. I'm a little bit OCD about things like this in that I have to have them all because I will need them eventually. I also have duplicates of many colors for several reasons 1) I was working on a project where I thought I would need more than one, 2) I forgot I had already bought it when I was building up my stack, and 3) I just liked the color.

I have several projcets on the go right now and some of them share the same colors. I kept a seperate bag for all this "sharezies" but I got tired of looking through the project bad only to realize it was in the "sharezies" bag. So I went out and got those colors for all the projects when they were on sale.

For my HAED (that I really want to get started) I wanted to figure out how much it would cost to do the whole project so I'm keeping receipts of the fabric, pattern and I bought seperate threads for just that project. If I could make sure to keep track of the time spent stitching I would do that as well (and yet another example of my OCD).
current project rotation:
Twilight Balloon Flight
The Accolade
Faces of Faery 89
Dad's Flower Pot
crafterglen

Post by crafterglen »

I am lucky enought to have a full set of DMC and Anchor threads which are all kept safely in A4 boxes and look lovely when I open the boxes (I know, I need treatment!), thanks to some great folk here it is a lot cheaper to buy threads now we know where to look and since stitching HAED's I get a bunch of skeins plus I always buy a few extra and you soon buid up your stash.
Pengwenn I loved that you bought some just because you liked the colour! Maybe there is hope for me yet?
Happy Stitching
alinna

Post by alinna »

I have all but 2 of the DMC regular colors. Everything else I've purchased on an as-needed basis. I purchased most of the regular colors using 20% off coupons so it wasn't too bad.