Unwanted knots

Tips, Tricks & Techniques - anything to help fellow cross stitchers.

Moderators: rcperryls, Rose, karen4bells, Serinde, Alex

Jilly

Re: Unwanted knots

Post by Jilly »

My favourite length is 18 inches (46cm) I get this by pulling 36 inches from the skein and doubling it over, I don't measure it, as each skein is 6" it's easy to pull the right length every time :D
Also, I take the needle out if I feel that dangling isn't enough, separate the strands and re thread the needle.. but mostly I dangle too :shock: :lol:
maggs

Post by maggs »

I am a dangler to. I have found that if the wrong colour used if its not to far off the colour I tend to sew a new stitch but use only a single thread then it gives it a inbetween colour.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
WIP
Birds
Water Tiger
Millenium Sampler
Xmas stocking

2010 Finishes
Alphabet afghan
ATC 7&8
Egg swap
Forgotten Cart
KK/Kearbear cards
Sweet Dreams sampler
xmas Biscornu
skitzzzzz

Post by skitzzzzz »

yep dangle to untangle is the best way boy learned that over 20 yrs ago thinking about it now i feel old lol and keep lengths short my rule of thumb is 18 '' less waste etc
W.I.P
Still Life with Roses GK
Frost GK

http://www.facebook.com/skitzzzzz" target="_blank" target="_blank
Daesania

Post by Daesania »

I'm a lazy stitcher, if i have one or two out of place, as long as it wont look weird I just leave it. :lol:

I'm also one who lets it hang to untwist. I get the knots occasionally but if i put my needle in the knot and slide it, 9 times out of 10 i'll just pop the knot out and keep going, but every once and awhile you get that mean knot that will break your thread. :doh:
My Etsy: http://froggycreations.etsy.com" target="_blank
rvdiehl

Post by rvdiehl »

I had been taking the lazy way, and holding the thread up, sliding the needle down to the work, then back up. I will try dangle, but my current piece is large and not easy to flip over often.

I also use 36" pieces doubled. I thread the two cut ends through the needle, then use the "loop" to anchor my first stitch by passing the needle through it. Saves a little thread and a lot of time. :P
lacemaker2004

Post by lacemaker2004 »

I'll dangle too but when I get one and I catch it before it's pulled tight then i gently pinch it and pull it toward the knot while holding the leading end of the thread. It kind of stablizes the knot and gives the right pressure to pull the kink out.
WIP:
Mirabilia Christmas Elegance
Keeshond
Tropical Heart
McDLT

Post by McDLT »

rvdiehl wrote:I thread the two cut ends through the needle, then use the "loop" to anchor my first stitch by passing the needle through it. Saves a little thread and a lot of time. :P
I do this as much as possible too. I like how neat it keeps everything.

If I can't get the knot out, I try to make the knot as small as possible and keep stitching with the knot in it. Almost all of the time the knot piece winds up at the back of the work and all is well. When it doesn't, I'll go back a few stitches and end my thread and start again or if it's not too noticeable (only noticeable by me) then I just leave it.
sajohnston

Post by sajohnston »

helbel wrote:Oh and if it's too late, I find these useful:

Pull the loop of the knot to make it bigger and easier to unpick.
or
Hold the threads and pull the threads sharply to get the knot to disappear.
or
Needle in the loop the pull either thread at a time to see which way it moves

Note that option 2 can lead to a stage where you can't get the knot out!
I usually do the first choice when I have a knot. 99% of the time, they come right out.
jphill11

Post by jphill11 »

Pull the loop of the knot to make it bigger and easier to unpick.
or
Hold the threads and pull the threads sharply to get the knot to disappear.
I do these two things together. That is, pull the loop (horizontally) to make it bigger, then grab the threads and pull and the knot will just magically come out. 95% of the time anyway. 8)

Also since I've been using Thread Heaven, I rarely get knots.

- Judy
Granny

Post by Granny »

Prevention rather than problem solving are my idea of avoiding a lot of knots. I have far fewer knots if I start with threads that are no longer than 18". The other thing I find helps tremendously is separate the threads before stitching. Pull off the number of strands needed, pull them apart and put back together before threading the needle. There is far less need to dangle with this method.
Agnes (Granny Agnes)
Lessa54

Post by Lessa54 »

If I can't get the knot out, I try to make the knot as small as possible and keep stitching with the knot in it. Almost all of the time the knot piece winds up at the back of the work and all is well. When it doesn't, I'll go back a few stitches and end my thread and start again or if it's not too noticeable (only noticeable by me) then I just leave it.
And I thought I was the only one who did this :oops:

Fortunately it's rare as usually dangling and gently testing the loop of any knot if formed gets them out. The thing I find annoying is when a big loop slip-type knot forms at the back and you don't notice till you realise the thread has ended quite quickly! Even though the knot comes out easily, it's then a real pain to unpick and work the thread through to get to that un-used portion.
Cecilia

Post by Cecilia »

Lessa54 wrote:
And I thought I was the only one who did this :oops:

Fortunately it's rare as usually dangling and gently testing the loop of any knot if formed gets them out. The thing I find annoying is when a big loop slip-type knot forms at the back and you don't notice till you realise the thread has ended quite quickly! Even though the knot comes out easily, it's then a real pain to unpick and work the thread through to get to that un-used portion.
How true!
Completed 2017: Anniversary Sampler by The Sweetheart Tree

Love comforteth like sunshine after rain. Shakespeare
burgundyice

Post by burgundyice »

I can usually make the knot magically disappear by running my nail back down the thread... if this doesn't work I might cut the thread if the knot's too big to stitch with, or leave it at the back, which leaves a bit of a loop but it's on the back, so I don't care :shock: :shock:

Louise
HAED WIPS: Too many to list!
Sarah Gixxer

Post by Sarah Gixxer »

I have some rather naughty habits too. :oops:

I am a dangler, but if I do get a knot that simply won't budge, and it's very close to the back of my stitching, I lay the thread, including the knot, along the back of the stitching and then oversew it back towards the bit I was working on so there isn't a loop.

I often use rather long pieces of thread too, although I try and stick to about 18 inches by cutting a 36 inch length and doubling it. If I have a lot of confetti stitches to do though, I will often cut a single strand about 6 inches long and double it, so it's just right for 1 or 2 stitches.

Like a couple of others who confessed, if I find one odd wrong stitch, particularly on my HAEDs where the stitches are so tiny, I stitch over it in the correct colour. It's so small that I can't notice one naughty stitch amongst 100,000 of them. If I'm working on something larger like 14 count Aida, then I do the right thing, cut the stitch, unpick it and the one or two either side of, sew the ends into the back and then fill in the hole with a piece of new thread.
CURRENT WIPs
HAEDs - Bubble Telescope, Floatilla, Rainbow Embrace, Ray of Light, Iron Dragon, Newport Lighthouse
Fractal 239 Aero Chocolate
Flannel PJs

Post by Flannel PJs »

I'm a dangler, too and I've also hidden a knot on the backside by stitching over it. I can't remember where I got this tip, but I've started doing this lately and so far, it seems to work really well. Once you put your two strands of floss together (or more, depending on what project you're working on), run them under a warm iron. It gets all the little kinks out of both strands of floss and like I said, it has worked beautifully for me. At first I thought this would flatten the floss out and ruin the texture, it doesn't.
milkmaid

Post by milkmaid »

i ted to make the knot smaller but i've starting using thread heaven read about it on here (thanks :applesauce: )and i don't get as many now 8)
Murmured

Post by Murmured »

I use the oh-so-official length of from my left hand (where I hold the end) to my right shoulder when I hold my arm out straight. Then I double a single strand of the thread over for stitching. I hardly ever get knots, but most of the time when I do there is always a loop sticking out of the knot that I can pull on, and it disappears, so I tend to think of them more as twisted thread, rather than knots.
WIPS
Damask Rose Needlecase
Castles in the Air
I Stitch therefore I Stash

2012 finishes:
Max's Moon