Questions

Tips, Tricks & Techniques - anything to help fellow cross stitchers.

Moderators: rcperryls, Rose, karen4bells, Serinde, Alex

dal2@cdc.gov

Questions

Post by dal2@cdc.gov »

I have some questions regarding cross stitch -- hope some of you experts can help!!

First, I was reading some of the posts and read a reference to a "confetti" stitch. I'm not sure what that is. I looked in my cross stitch bible and other reference books and can't find it. Can you explain what it is?

Also, I was reading how some people do a row of stitches: some do one leg across the row and come back and finish the other leg; and then some complete each cross stitch as they go. My question is: does it hurt if you mix and match these techniques? Some times I do the whole row thing and sometimes I complete each cross stitch --- for me it depends on where I want the thread on the back to end (closer to the next place to stitch). I always make sure I do the crosses the same direction, but is it okay to mix and match like this?

I also saw some needles that have the eye in the middle of the needle (they have 2 points) -- you don't have to turn the needle to sew. Has anyone tried any of these? It sounded like a good idea, but I haven't tried them yet.

Thank you so much for any help -- I do enjoy reading all your helpful tips.

Hugs,
Debbie
Serinde

Post by Serinde »

Hi, and welcome to the forum. BTW, is that cdc as in Atlanta, GA? My step-sister works there!!

Confetti refers to the single stitches you sometimes find in very complicated patterns with many colours. They appear to be randomly thrown in... like confetti. Although they make the finished picture much more realistic, they are a pain to deal with when stitching.

I guess the way each of us stitches is a personal thing. The tension of your stitches will be subtly different if you use more than one technique (ie if you cross each stitch as you go or you do half-crosses and then return to finish them). How perfect do you want to be? I cross as I go, because my preferred patterns often use lots of colours and, frankly, I'd get utterly lost if I didn't cross as I went along. :oops:

I've used a double-headed needle, but never quite got the hang of it. Other people I know swear by them. I think if you're working in a technique that uses, say, a single colour or two, like Assisi or Hardanger, a needle like that could really speed up your work. Takes practice, though.
Last edited by Serinde on Thu Oct 18, 2007 2:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dal2@cdc.gov

Post by dal2@cdc.gov »

Yes, it is CDC in Atlanta, but I work in one of their offices in Cincy.

Thanks for your explanations. I never thought about the tension being different. I'll have to find out which method works for me and stick with that one.

I appreciate your help.
Viktoriya

Post by Viktoriya »

Hi Debbie, and welcome.

I stitch many years and tried many technique. When I stitch napkins (there are very impotent have good look both side) I stitch very carefully with one technique and have only one type of stitch and one direction on both side. It is not easy – need think all time. But when I stitch picture (when it be framed), back side not impotent. I mix many techniques to stitch easy each parts of pattern. But it is really impotent to make stitches in same directions.

Sorry, I never used a double-headed needle.
dal2@cdc.gov

Post by dal2@cdc.gov »

Thanks Viktoriya for your reply,

I'll keep your suggestions in mind. Most of the things I am doing right now are things where I don't have to worry about the back of the piece.

Thanks again, I appreciate it.
mags

Post by mags »

Hello Debbie and welcome

Again, for me it depends what the pattern is and what it is to be used for as to whether I go along a row and then back or complete each cross as I go. I usually try to aim for the neatest whichever.

I have never used (or even seen) a double ended needle but I have read somewhere that it wears the floss out where it is rubbing first one way and then the other up and down the eye.

mags :)
Rose

Post by Rose »

Hi Debbie,

The girls have already covered all of your questions.

As for me I stitch the same way you do and have not had an issue with tension. I always use a hoop or frame to stitch with. If there is a big block of one color then I do it in rows but if the stitches are random I do them on at a time. Whatever works for what I am stitching is what I do. :lol:

The eye in the middle I have also heard from many that it does cut the thread if you use it for a longer piece if thread. I have never used one so don't know. Since I use the stab and through method of stitching and always pull with the same hand I don't use both hands to stitch. I am not that coordinated. :roll:

Welcome aboard I hope you come often and feel free to question us anytime.
If you are looking for some one to help change you, look in the mirror
dal2@cdc.gov

Post by dal2@cdc.gov »

I wanted to thank everyone for their help on my questions.

It's nice to have someone to ask -- no one in my family does any stitching, so I'm on my own!!

Also, thanks for making feel so welcome.
mags

Post by mags »

You are certainly not on your own here. I too only have cyber stitchy friends.

mags :)
hada56

Post by hada56 »

hi and welcome! I use only one method of stitching, it's the one called Dutch, where you cross the stitches on the "return" trip. It's worked for me very well, and it I've ntoiced that this method doesn't use as much floss as the other method, the one where you cross each stitch before you go on to the next one. (I think that one is called British or English method).
I've never used a hoop or frame and never had a problem with the tension.
ConnieO

Post by ConnieO »

Hi Debbie and welcome to you!

I do my crosses in rows, all one way then back again. However if you were using a multicolour thread the effects would be different.

You'll get plenty of good advice here! :D E333333
A stitch in time is my idea of a perfect day!
Connie :-)