Washing Finished Projects

Tips, Tricks & Techniques - anything to help fellow cross stitchers.

Moderators: rcperryls, Rose, karen4bells, Serinde, Alex

Rose

Washing Finished Projects

Post by Rose »

I am putting up this as a sticky as the subject comes up often by new members.

What I do is wash all of my finished projects, unless they are stitched on perforated paper. I throw then in the wash machine on the gentle cycle with my delicates. I use liquid Tide and Downey Fabric Softner. I hang all of the pieces out on the clothes line to dry. When they are completely dry I take them in and iron them, with a mediun heat iron. Depending on the piece I will also sometimes use spray starch. Very lite starch. If you look in my gallery or my webshots every one of those pieces has been washed with no ill-effects.

Please add your suggestions to this thread.
If you are looking for some one to help change you, look in the mirror
Angel

Post by Angel »

That's good to know. I have one I need to send out to mags, and there's a LOT of white in it and I want to wash it, but I didn't want to ruin it and have to do it all over from scratch, but it needs washing because...well...it's white...

*can wash it in peace now, knowing how and that it won't ruin*
Serinde

Post by Serinde »

Try putting the piece in a lingerie bag and washing on a gentle cycle with something like Persil Silk and Wool (but a liquid product, not a powder or tablet). It'll be fine.
Mabel Figworthy

Post by Mabel Figworthy »

I admit I've so far hand-washed only, but protected in a pillowcase or sth like that it should be all right -- I'm always a bit worried about thread ends working loose, even though I know I've secured them well. (Paranoid? Me?)
PaulaH

Post by PaulaH »

I must admit I've only ever handwashed mine - the one of Mum's face took me 4 years to finish so that needed a serious soak.

I usually put some Dreft or even washing up liquid in a bowl, swish it around and then change the water for clear, swish again then onto a white towel which I roll up like a sausage and squish to get the excess liquid out then place flat on another towel until it's almost dry - I usually iron them just damp on the wrong side then leave it to dry naturally.

Paula xx
hada56

Post by hada56 »

I hand wash all of my cross stitching, although I did try it in the washing machine: it frayed something terrible! never more....
after hand washing it, I leave it to dry flat on a clean towel, then iron it, face down, on another towel, but never pressing down, or very gently.
Becca

Re: Washing Finished Projects

Post by Becca »

I washed a couple of cross stitches by hand yesterday. I washed them with some washing up liquid, then rinsed them in clean water a couple of times.
Click the banner above to visit us at Crafts 'n' Creatures!

And my blog which is full of all my stitching
mags

Post by mags »

I think I mentioned somewhere about some cards a friends daughter had sent me. Well I took the cross stitch out, intending to make them into ornaments. They had gone very yellow where she had used double sided tape. :shock:

It was only yellow on the unstitched aida, so I first tried sticky stuff remover to get rid of the sticky. Then hand washed them in a gentle washing solution. They were still yellow.

So I then soaked them for some time in a solution of vanish powder (the pink tub for coloured fabrics) with fairly hot water. They were soaking for a few hours. They have come up nice. :D
mags

WIPs:
Heritage Tower Bridge (yes still :roll: )
various bits and bobs
Rose

Post by Rose »

If you are going to wash your finished project in the washing machine be sure to zigzag, or surge, or in someway stitch the edges of the fabric first. This is necessary because otherwise it will fray.
nettie

Post by nettie »

I handwash all my projects as if something starts to go wrong like fraying or colour runs I can whip it out of the water and rescue it. I always dry it flat and iron it while it is still slightly damp between a folded towel.
lacemaker2004

Post by lacemaker2004 »

I hand wash the ones that take a long time to do.....mainly because by the time I'm done with them they need it! :lol:

anyway, I hand wash with a solution for stitching or for panty hose but only if it doesn't have handdyed threads. They're not always color safe and I don't want them to run. I also wash them before beading so no water gets trapped in the beads. When I'm done washing I roll it in a thick towel and then hang it from the shower curtain on a pants hanger. I'll gently tug it into shape and smooth it down to get the worst of the wrinkles and hoop marks out. When it's fairly dry then I'll gently iron it the rest of the way. The slight dampness helps the rest of the wrinkles come out.
WIP:
Mirabilia Christmas Elegance
Keeshond
Tropical Heart
hada56

Post by hada56 »

to stop the fabric from fraying, there are several choices, but I think the best would be: hand wip stitch or machince zig-zag around. Also, if there's enough fabric, you can fold about 1/2 centimeter and then either hand or machine baste.
CarolinaGirl

Post by CarolinaGirl »

I have always handwashed myself. It always makes me so nervous to wash them! You work so hard on something and if it were to ruin I would be sick! So many different tips here, I will have to try them out!

CarolinaGirl :sun:
Carolinagirl
agi

Post by agi »

I always wash my pieces, usually in Perwoll - or I think any detergent would do which is mild (look for those that can be used for washing silk and wool.)
Agi

"The world, as a colourful knot of threads, has turned into a memory, and now you cannot be sure whether it was real."
(Géza Ottlik, Hungarian writer)

My blog
Serinde

Post by Serinde »

Persil Silk and Wool is a favourite of mine. Whatever you decide, steer clear of powdered detergents. My experience is that they always seem to leave a residue. (And you have to wash it all over again... :evil: )
Jilly

Post by Jilly »

A link to a 'just how useful vinegar is' site :D
http://www.vinegarbook.net/vinegar_tips ... ndry.shtml" target="_blank
I am of to buy a gallon of the stuff :lol:
Rose

Post by Rose »

I don't know what fairy is but I use liquid tide and have never had a problem. If you get a spot on your fabric that is oil based then you can use Dawn dish soap.
Fljotsdale

Post by Fljotsdale »

I'm one who likes to save myself work!

So - I've not read this thread before, because I've never had to wash anything I've stitched!
I always make sure I wash my hands before I start, and I never eat while stitching.
Also, I find using a roll frame means less handling of the fabric; plus, if you protect the part of the fabric that rests against your body while you stitch (I use a bit of clingfilm), there is no 'rub' damage, and a white cloth or apron over your clothes also helps keep your work clean.

With hoops, or with very small stuff that doesn't need any sort of frame, but which involve more handling of the fabric, the same principles apply, only more so - wash hands before stitching, use a white protective cloth over your clothes, and don't eat! :wink:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LVDUTAn6Ttg" target="_blank"

Watch Leonard and the young singer! ;)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ye6JssTdnvw" target="_blank"

Cohen's son, Adam.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qiP3PkLoMdI" target="_blank
Violet

Post by Violet »

Well...... As a Cross Stitcher for over 20 years, you can imagine how many things I have washed! Firstly, let me say that I am a DMC fan. I have a stash of over 150 DMC threads now (glad I didn't have to buy them all at once!) I have NEVER had a problem with any of my projects "running" in the wash. I just wash them with whatever powder or liquid I am using at the time! I have even soaked them in "nappy" or "diaper" solution and I have NEVER had a problem with colours running.

THE ONLY TIME I HAVE HAD A "RUNNING" colour problem was with a kit! (Complete package... Aida - threads - pattern) I don't want to "Bag" another brand of thread, but it was not a DMC kit... in fact I am pretty sure it was the major competitor.....

I will use ONLY DMC threads, I am confident that they will not run and are colourfast through years of washing (I have towels that I have washed for years with my cross stitch panels attached and the towels fade before the stitching!)
Vi believes... happiness is a finished project!
Lisa2758

Post by Lisa2758 »

I've used Woolite in the past but someone told me that the chemicals could damage the stitching in future so now I use original Fairy liquid. I always stitch with a hoop so my stuff gets really filthy but it seems to wash well.