Celtic Ladies -beads

Please feel free to join in on our SAL

Moderators: rcperryls, Rose, karen4bells, Serinde

Slinky

Re: Celtic Ladies -beads

Post by Slinky »

Fabulous work on the black/white jugs project!!! They look amazing together - very inspiring too.
Mabel Figworthy wrote:I have used opalescent evenweaves (Silkweaver & Polstitches), and evenweaves & aida with metallic threads. The aida I found no different from ordinary aida, but with the evenweave the holes were sometimes a little less defined, more difficult to see, because the opalescent strand seems to make a sort of "fake hole" in the thread of the fabric -- what I mean is that several times I found myself sticking my needle through the middle of a thread where the opalescent strand was, rather than in the actual hole between the threads. Does that make sense? (If not I'll see if I can photograph it so it shows what I mean)
I did a card for my sis-in-law last week, just a small My Aunt's Attic motif, on opalescent evenweave (in my gallery if you're interested). I found EXACTLY the same problem as Mabel, above. I thought I was going mad. I'm very accustomed to evenweave and prefer it to Aida generally but this was really hard going. I put it down to 'cheap' fabric but perhaps it's just the nature of the beast?

8)
~ girls with dreams grow into women with vision ~

WIPs:
The Sweetheart Tree 12 Days of Christmas
Sharon Pope's Gingerbread Cottage
Chatelaine Christmas Mystery 2011
Mabel Figworthy

Post by Mabel Figworthy »

Don't these Aunt's Attic designs look just right with pretty fabric and variegated threads :wub: ?

And yes, I think it is probably the nature of the beast, in effect there is an extra thread in the fabric which I suppose confuses things!
Visit Mabel's Fancies at www.mabelfigworthy.co.uk
WIPs
Elizabethan Beauty, RSN Certificate & Online
Waiting
Soli Deo Gloria, Mechthild, bling unicorn, goldwork & silk shading kits

Flights of Fancy (blog)
Mabel's FB page
elin

Post by elin »

Wonderful :applesauce: :applesauce:
StephanyNJC-UK

Post by StephanyNJC-UK »

Ditto Mabel and Slinky, the fabric's very soft, quite springy, but the shiny bits do mask the holes a bit, the rows with a shiny thread are doubled up next to a regular thread - the 2 together count as one - and they tend to fray the DMC threads a bit too, i find. And i read on Silkweavers site that these hand over-dyed fabrics shrink in the dyeing process, so these 16c (32) i've used are more like 18c. If i'd have known that before i got them, i'd have used the 14c (28). They've been worth using on these designs, as although they've got a heck of a lot of beads on, the type of beads aren't particularly shiny (some of them i changed from the one's specified to more shiny ones).
Talking of shiny, i've spent the past few days finishing off a design i did a few years ago that i don't really like. It was a try-out at the time, but OH says he likes it so i'm finishing it off now (he can hang it in his shed :D ) It's a pattern of swirls done all in metallics, super annoying stuff, and i'm making up a sorta border round it also with metallics, on blaaack aida. It's been living in an old frame thats a good bit bigger than the original swirl pic, so i'm filling it out to the edge of the frame. I'll do a pic when its done. (Metallic :ribbit: 's are NOT fun...)
The only thing superglue sticks is..its own lid on..
Cats were considered gods in Ancient Times..they haven't forgotten this.
"If you can keep your head when all about you are losing their's...."
Mabel Figworthy

Post by Mabel Figworthy »

Sounds like a so and so to stitch, but pretty spectacular once it's finished -- looking forward to pictures!
Visit Mabel's Fancies at www.mabelfigworthy.co.uk
WIPs
Elizabethan Beauty, RSN Certificate & Online
Waiting
Soli Deo Gloria, Mechthild, bling unicorn, goldwork & silk shading kits

Flights of Fancy (blog)
Mabel's FB page
K1nS

Post by K1nS »

Thankyou for your replies to my question, I will look out for it to try on future projects