Question about Tatting

Moderators: rcperryls, Rose, karen4bells, Serinde, Alex

wendywombat

Question about Tatting

Post by wendywombat »

I remember watching a friend doing tatting many years back. I'd quite like to learn how this is done so I've been looking at You-tube videos....so useful to see the movements....and I saw that you can also do needle tatting with a crochet hook style needle with a hole at one end and a hook at the other.

I can crochet....not well my tension goes to pot regularly! :shock: ,... but I can only reliably produce 'granny squares'. At least I can manipulate the hook!

So my question is....which way should I go? Do I learn with a shuttle or with the tatting needle? Does anyone here Tatt? If so what method do you use?

Any advice please would be very useful.

:roll: as if I haven't got enough things to stitch or knit!! :doh: I now want to find something different! :wink:
Mabel Figworthy

Re: Question about Tatting

Post by Mabel Figworthy »

I have no knowledge whatever of tatting and am trying to keep it that way for fear that I might add yet another hobby into the needlwork mix :roll: but good luck in finding out the best way to go - I'm sure someone here will be able to help you!
Visit Mabel's Fancies at www.mabelfigworthy.co.uk
WIPs
Elizabethan Beauty, RSN Certificate & Online
Waiting
Soli Deo Gloria, Mechthild, bling unicorn, goldwork & silk shading kits

Flights of Fancy (blog)
Mabel's FB page
rcperryls

Post by rcperryls »

Mabel Figworthy wrote:I have no knowledge whatever of tatting and am trying to keep it that way for fear that I might add yet another hobby into the needlwork mix :roll: but good luck in finding out the best way to go - I'm sure someone here will be able to help you!
Ditto, but I do want to add, that I expect to see pictures of any projects you do. Tatting is one of the crafts I wanted to learn a long time ago, but never pursued. I don't know anyone who does it, unless of course, you take it up. :wink:

Carole
:dance:
WIPs
Star Wars Afghan:Chewbaca
HAEDs:
O Kitten Tree
Dancing with the Cat
Everything else "on hold"
2022 Finished: Star Wars Afghan: Princess Leia, Obi-Wan Kenobi, Yoda, Finn, Rey, Poe, Han Solo,Darth Vader, BB8,Luke Skywalker
Purple Patsy

Post by Purple Patsy »

I have done a little (very little) bit of tatting using a shuttle and really enjoyed it, well once I learned to relax that is. The very first day my left hand resembled the withered claw when I stopped cos I was holding the hand so tightly.

I haven't tried any other methods though so can't really comment. I love how portable it is and although I stopped doing it to take up bobin lace I have "hopes" of going back to it some day.
WIPs
The Astronomer (HaED)
Gamer Nouveau (Gecko Rouge)
Woodland Enchantress (Dimensions)
Sagi No Mai (Maia)

Finishes on forum
Starry Night with TARDIS 12 Aug 2016 -27 June 2017
Royal Holiday
wendywombat

Post by wendywombat »

Thanks, I thought that the shuttle as the traditional method would be best. More portable too! I can see airlines getting snitty about the tatting needles!! :tantrum: and I thought if I ever felt the need to 'tatt' on a 'plane then a shuttle would be better. :D

If anyone else has any input I'm still searching ideas....Thanks!
Purple Patsy

Post by Purple Patsy »

I assume you've stumbled on this in your investigations.

http://www.ringoftatters.org.uk/" target="_blank" target="_blank
WIPs
The Astronomer (HaED)
Gamer Nouveau (Gecko Rouge)
Woodland Enchantress (Dimensions)
Sagi No Mai (Maia)

Finishes on forum
Starry Night with TARDIS 12 Aug 2016 -27 June 2017
Royal Holiday
wendywombat

Post by wendywombat »

No I hadn't seen this ! Thank you. :D I'll have a good look after the w/end. Our daughter and her 3 are coming out for a few days tomorrow so I won't have much time to browse until they've gone home. I did find one site
http://www.tatting.co.uk" target="_blank which looked good. I've not got any further in my research yet, but I'm keen to try it sometime.
Inkysloth

Post by Inkysloth »

We bumped into a woman tatting on the train, on a journey up to Edinburgh a few months ago - and she does demonstrations for the Ring of Tatters! So she tried to show me (I was doing some cross stitch). Now, I'm pretty Dyspraxic, and found it near impossible to work out the movements. But she was using a shuttle, and it felt quite comfortable to hold, even if my manipulations were laughable!
I lurk on Twitter & Instagram as @inkysloth
My print & calligraphy work is over at http://www.inkysloth.co.uk" target="_blank

WIPs
Geological map of the British Isles
Hand x-Ray
Ongoing string of small rainbow badges
Tessellating Escher-style lizard chair seat.
wendywombat

Post by wendywombat »

I'm still investigating and I've found on http://www.tatting.co.uk/" target="_blank a kit with shuttle, instructions etc so all I 'need' to start. Maybe one will find it's way under the Tree! :wink: :lol:
curly sue

Post by curly sue »

I'm a little late to the party here! I've tried shuttle tatting. I never progressed beyond the basic knot (such as joining etc.) but it wasn't too difficult.

I intend to try again at some point. I do have a little difficulty controlling the thread in my left hand but I have that problem with thread crochet also. It seems like it would be quite enjoyable as a hobby.
Podolyanka

Post by Podolyanka »

One has to be really patient to do tatting masterpieces. Waslucky to watch a person who feels at home with the shattle and it was impressive!
Lyudmila