Sewing machine recommendations

Moderators: rcperryls, Rose, karen4bells, Serinde, Alex

19Roland19

Sewing machine recommendations

Post by 19Roland19 »

I need a new sewing machine.

I don't want an extremely expensive one. I would consider myself a beginner. I do need one strong enough to make my denim quilts though. ;)

I looked at a Singer with an extension table. Reviews weren't very positive though. Several complaints about the machine and everyone that mentioned the table said it was not flush.

Also looked at a Brother, but can't find any reviews on that model on-line. Which seems really weird.

So far, I've decided I am not buying either of the machines I've looked at. Not sure exactly what to start looking at though.

~~~~

So, any suggestions are welcome.

Is Brother a trusted brand in sewing machines?

Is a computerized machine worth it, or just more stuff to break?
fccs

Re: Sewing machine recommendations

Post by fccs »

I have a Brother and am quite happy with it. Mine is a machine embroidery model - I've only played with that part of it a little, but hope to bring it out and do more. Brother machines have been around a very long time and are typically very dependable.
Debby

(main) WIPs
Angel of Love
Book of Mythical Creatures
Cache la Poudre
Past Present Forever
Fishing Friends
19Roland19

Post by 19Roland19 »

Thanks.

I think my first machine might have been a Brother. It didn't work well....but I had no clue what I was doing and I now know I was doing a lot wrong.

I'm replacing a Singer. DH mentioned that when he bought this one for me, he hid it at my mom's house. My mom died in 1988, so that's a long life for what was an inexpensive model. But last few times I've used it, pieces are literally jumping off. While this is amusing in a weird sort of way, it's not so great for sewing.
fccs

Post by fccs »

19Roland19 wrote:But last few times I've used it, pieces are literally jumping off. While this is amusing in a weird sort of way, it's not so great for sewing.
@rotfl: @rotfl: @rotfl:
Debby

(main) WIPs
Angel of Love
Book of Mythical Creatures
Cache la Poudre
Past Present Forever
Fishing Friends
wendywombat

Post by wendywombat »

I have a Pfaff Select 1546 and it's brilliant. It's easy to use and very solid. It has a metal body encased in a plastic cover. They're not cheap though so.....
I found this though and thought them interesting. They are designed in Japan and made in Vietnam
http://www.britishsewingcentre.co.uk/co ... guar-rx390" target="_blank
I'd give one a home if I didn't have my Pfaff. :D
They also have a metal body. I have never used one but they look the business! If you're going to stitch denim you'll need a machine which doesn't jump about on the table!! :doh: They have a 'chat line' where you can find out just what you want to know.

My advice whatever you end up buying is...GO TO A SHOP WHERE YOU CAN SEE ONE IN ACTION if you can!
Allyn

Post by Allyn »

I have three Singer machines and I love them, but the newest one is 42 years old. Singer used to be the brand back in the day. Now they're made in overseas cheap-labor shops and all the important moving parts are plastic. I won't buy a Singer nowadays, which is a shame. My grandma would turn over in her grave if I said that out loud, but this is a different world than the one she left.

Yes, Brother is a major name in sewing machines. So is Viking, Pfaff, Bernina, Janome, and Kenmore right off the top of my head. Kenmore doesn't make their own machines. They rebrand someone else's machines. I know they were Janome-rebranded machines at one time; maybe they still are. That's good info, if you can get a Janome machine for a Sears price.

I don't know if this will help or not. It's a sewing machine buying guide from Consumer Reports:

http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/sewi ... -guide.htm" target="_blank

WIP
richardandtracy

Post by richardandtracy »

I have a Pfaff. It has done about 30 years earning its keep at work sewing up webbing straps. They decided to get rid of it because someone retired, and only having work for half a sewing machinist, decided they didn't need 2 machines. In the skip it went for a few minutes before I got to it. Will be able to sew my yacht sails if I ever build the yacht.

The machine is incredibly rugged.

Regards

Richard.
http://www.chestnutpens.co.uk
Free Charting Program for PC's Info Zip Installation
19Roland19

Post by 19Roland19 »

Some of these brands I've never even heard of. :oops:

That consumer report page looks very interesting. I never even considered Kenmore, but I have a friend who may know whether they are still good quality.
lavenderbee

Post by lavenderbee »

I had a Frister & Rossman years ago, see they still sell them. Hope you soon get one you like :D
lavenderbee :-)

stitching is beewitching

Things only become problems if you let them
wendywombat

Post by wendywombat »

My first machine was a Frister & Rossman. I part/ex'd it for a Singer because it didn't do button holes....What a Huge mistake that was! The Singer was so lightweight and the buttonholes it produced were just :gurn: :tantrum: Hence the Pfaff I now own and it's just great!
Also have a little machine from IKEA called a SY (weird names Ikea use! :roll: ) and I used that in the caravan/ camping car we had. Does 10 stitches and the buttonholes are good too. Wouldn't want to use it for heavy fabrics though.
19Roland19

Post by 19Roland19 »

Currently, Top of my list is a Brother computerized sewing machine. (QS9130)

It does buttonholes, has an alphabet (that could be fun), and a few things specific for quilting.
curly sue

Post by curly sue »

I have a mechanical Janome and am very happy with it. I would rather not have computerized but that is just my personal preference.
19Roland19

Post by 19Roland19 »

I decided that a computerized machine was not a wise choice. It would be bottom of the line and just break.

So here's my new toy, an early birthday present. :whoop: :whoop:

An automatic threader was not on my list of "must haves" but goodness what a great idea.
Allyn

Post by Allyn »

Bravo! You must give us a report!

WIP
wendywombat

Post by wendywombat »

That looks the business!! Lots of stitch variations all in a nice neat package....Enjoy!! :D
19Roland19

Post by 19Roland19 »

All those stitches is ridiculous. My last machine had six......and I used two of them. I intend to play around a bit with this one.

One of the negative reviews I read complained about threading the machine. It is very different from any I've used before, but I watched a video once, and after two attempts, it's easy-breezy! And no need to pull up the bobbin thread before sewing.

The other negative review said the machine was damaged in delivery and they were waiting for a replacement. I don't actually think that's a legitimate reason to give it a one star rating.
Allyn

Post by Allyn »

19Roland19 wrote:...The other negative review said the machine was damaged in delivery and they were waiting for a replacement. I don't actually think that's a legitimate reason to give it a one star rating.
Exactly! Why they gave it a bad review is more important to me than the reviews that raved about the product.

WIP
curly sue

Post by curly sue »

I'm glad you found the right machine for your needs! You can usually tell when a negative review is unwarranted. Happy sewing!
probablynot

Post by probablynot »

I had a Frister & Rossman Cub 3 for about 35 years. I went for the name because when I was a kid my mum had a F&R treadle sewing machine (hey, I'm talking nineteen-forties here!). It served me well, but about 7 years ago I found I had some spare cash and I upgraded to a Toyota EZ1.
It has a few more stitch patterns to offer than my old Cub-3, but for me the best thing is, I don't have to rely on the foot pedal! I can set the stitch speed and turn it on/off with my thumb!
Brian
Cross-stitcher since 2005. Model ship builder since 2012. Former canoeist, orienteer, astronomer, craft show organiser, secret-cult member. Currently a happy man.
AngieR

Post by AngieR »

i have a limited edition Runway Brother machine. Really like it. I don't do much but mostly mending on it.
Angie

Wips
Colorful Rose (Happy Forever) started May 20th 2016
the eagles wings 3 (Happy Forever) started May 27th 2016
Unicorn Garden (Happy Forever) Jan. 6, 2017