"5D Diamond Painting Cross Stitch Embroidery"

Moderators: rcperryls, Rose, karen4bells, Serinde, Alex

richardandtracy

"5D Diamond Painting Cross Stitch Embroidery"

Post by richardandtracy »

I was intrigued when I saw that title in an e-bay sale.

What the heck was it? Well, the explanation in a Chinese version of English made no sense to me in the e-bay sale, as they were (and I quote directly):
1. Open the box and check the diamond draw special tools.
2. View the resin diamond color, arranged in order of coding.
3. Uncover tape drawing above, you will see a lot of symbols corresponding to the color coding.
4. According to the corresponding color coded clamp the corresponding the resin inlaid diamonds.
5. Suggested that one type of the resin diamond one set completed faster.
6. In order to create a perfect diamond painting, drawings put together in one place every row symbols do not have to stay stuck diamonds.
7. To cut a good figure on the drawings hold sorted array mounted to the plane of the material above.
8. Splices need flat against the neat, do not have cracks.
9. after a good fight, the rest of the gap at the glue corresponding symbols of diamonds.
10. To complete a good diamond drawing, put it in your selection of a suitable framework (the restaurant does not provide a framework).
I was intrigued none the less. So I trawled through other sales (mostly seeming to be rather lurid coloured landscapes or cats with sunglasses) and eventually came across one that was in a Luis Royo/Sorayama style (I don't recognise the artist) and ordered it on the off chance it could be interesting. The sale picture was as below:
(it's a link to the e-bay sale photo & may disappear - I didn't wish to break copyright by making a copy)

Well, the package arrived yesterday, and I was quite surprised. It is like nothing I have come across before.
This is the package:
It is a chart printed on fairly tough fabric, a layer of tacky glue put over it, then a peelable surface. The rest of the package is little bags of square pyramidal sequins which you stick in the correct place in accordance to the chart, which is as below with some of the peelable covering peeled back:
To help you, the key gives the DMC colour number of the correct sequins, and the kit provides two triangular dishes and a pair of tweezers. Each little bag of sequins has its own DMC number printed on it and has about 200 in each little bag - I checked and the colours are a pretty close match with the DMC threads I have. The sequins are 1/10" (2.5mm) across. Overall the picture is 300mm square (120 x 120 sequins).

I am intrigued still, but don't have time to start it yet. It is, however, on my 'To Do' list.

Has anyone else seen anything like it?

Regards,

Richard
http://www.chestnutpens.co.uk
Free Charting Program for PC's Info Zip Installation
rcperryls

Re: "5D Diamond Painting Cross Stitch Embroidery"

Post by rcperryls »

Nope. I've not seen anything like it as a kit, but seems to me that I have seen similar kits with beads, though not nearly as detailed or complex. I guess its similar to cross stitch or paint by numbers. It is a beautiful chart and I hope you do find time to get started on it so we can see what it looks like. Does one "diamond" go in each square? or is it as many as are needed to fill the square? And what happens if you run out?
And do you know the answers to these questions?

Carole
:thinks:
WIPs
Star Wars Afghan:Chewbaca
HAEDs:
O Kitten Tree
Dancing with the Cat
Everything else "on hold"
2022 Finished: Star Wars Afghan: Princess Leia, Obi-Wan Kenobi, Yoda, Finn, Rey, Poe, Han Solo,Darth Vader, BB8,Luke Skywalker
richardandtracy

The 'Diamonds' are 2.5mm square, so one goes in each square on the chart, as there are 10 to the inch.
Are there enough? Well, the bags seem to have around 200 each, and the picking list is included. The picking list specifies the number of bags & number of sequins needed. It looks as if the most I can mislay of one colour is 16, and others 50 or 60 if there are really 200 in each bag.

If I loose too many? I'll have to use a bit of DMC floss, unless I can find a seller of these things.

I'm guessing the answers really... In the same way as I'm guessing the instructions, as they are in Chinese and the English translation is bonkers.

Regards,

Richard.
karen4bells

Post by karen4bells »

Very intriguing!!! I've never seen anything like it!! Hope to see you start on this sometime in the near future!!
Work in Progress
Dimensions Passion Flower Angel
Tempting Tangles Welcome SAL
Various small designs

wendywombat

Post by wendywombat »

Well that's different that's for sure. :shock: Just don't let the cats anywhere near :tizzy:
Worth getting if just for the translation :lol:
Squirrel

Post by Squirrel »

What will they think of next? Looking forward to seeing this unusual masterpiece getting done. Good on you for giving it a go Richard. :applesauce: :applesauce: :lol:
Sally in Brisbane Australia

WIPS
Christmas Stocking from World of Cross Stitching mag. 262
vanessanjf

Post by vanessanjf »

How very unusual. I have never seen anything like it. I will look forward to seeing you do it :)
Vanessa

A little progress every day adds up to big results

WIP
The adoration of the kings- Golden kite completed
richardandtracy

It does seem like a cross-over between cross stitch and painting by numbers.

It suddenly occurred to me that other people may have used this sort of thing, and I searched on YouTube - something I rarely do, and there appear to be a few videos, here is one:
https://youtu.be/MkH1R-NcHpo
It appears the process is pretty much as I had guessed. I think it needs to be taped to a plywood board backing, though.

Regards

Richard.
Lulu22

Post by Lulu22 »

How unusual, I like it, it reminds me of mosiac tiles, I would try one myself but for two reasons I'm not the best with tweezers and I'd probably end up sticking my fingers to it, I've never been good with glue or sticky products.

I'm looking forward to seeing how you do good luck!
WIPS
Snow
Gamer Nouveau
Clara
Meadow
charmagne_capalad

Post by charmagne_capalad »

I've given this craft a try and started with 2 projects. It's really easy to do but have to admit that cross stitching is still the best!

This is one uses square beads...

..and this one uses round crystal beads....

Your project design is really beautiful. Looking forward to seeing your start on it, too! :)
charmagne
"As we count our stitches...let us not forget to count our blessings..."
@mayneideas on instagram
richardandtracy

Seeing that someone else has tried it is a bit of a relief - maybe I'm not so nuts!

Regards

Richard.
richardandtracy

I played with my conversion program so it would draw pyramidal sequins if desired, and did a 120x120 conversion of the e-bay sale image (with its text left unaltered), and after adding a '5D Diamond' option to the mock-up display, I got this picture:
I think it gives a flavour of what the final picture should be. Now all I need to do is find a supply of these sequin things to do any picture...

Regards,

Richard

Edited to add: Edited to show a reduced size mock-up
kandifloss

Post by kandifloss »

I saw these but decided I [refer to stitch instead so tick but will be interested to see how you get one. Last time I did anything like this was a mosaic at school! I like the idea of Roman style of mosaic with tesserae but thought gems may be awkward to pick up even with tweezers.

Kandi :rainbow:
Kandi

There is always a rainbow somewhere in the world even If you cannot see one
So never give up hope
Midge

Post by Midge »

Funnily enough, I saw these by chance too and I ordered a kit from China as it was very inexpensive. I thought I would ring the changes a bit when it arrives.
I bet you can't guess the subject (anyone who remembers me will) :shock: :D
2022 is yet another year of the UFO!!
Great Wall of China,
Peacocks and Pheasants,
Birds of a feather,
Hardanger Table runner,
TW Peacock Tapestry,
Milennium Sampler,
Yes, they are all STILL in progress!
rcperryls

Post by rcperryls »

Hi Midge! Hope you will post pictures of what I am going to take a wild guess at and say Peacock design perhaps? Should be beautiful. (and looking at your WIP list, gives a few hints at what it might be :roll: )

Carole
:dance:
WIPs
Star Wars Afghan:Chewbaca
HAEDs:
O Kitten Tree
Dancing with the Cat
Everything else "on hold"
2022 Finished: Star Wars Afghan: Princess Leia, Obi-Wan Kenobi, Yoda, Finn, Rey, Poe, Han Solo,Darth Vader, BB8,Luke Skywalker
Midge

Post by Midge »

Hi Carole, yup you are correct - it is a peacock.
I'll try to post some pics but I seem to have forgotten how to do it.
The kit is due to arrive mid September so I'll have to try and remember how to get into my picture trail account.
2022 is yet another year of the UFO!!
Great Wall of China,
Peacocks and Pheasants,
Birds of a feather,
Hardanger Table runner,
TW Peacock Tapestry,
Milennium Sampler,
Yes, they are all STILL in progress!
stitchaddict

Post by stitchaddict »

diamond painting is so addicted. I do a big one for the moment
LarisaG

Post by LarisaG »

I also ordered 5D diamond painting kit, from UK, on ebay and will be delivered in a few days. A very big community on internet who is into this craft. Also on Facebook. I am looking forward to do it.
AussieChris61

Post by AussieChris61 »

Could anyone help me. I have finished my project which is 30cm x40cm and want to know what to paint over it to ensure the gems do not fall off :wink:
Karen

5d diamond painting

Post by Karen »

Hi Does anyone know if there is a company in thr uk that can convert a cross stitch pattern or photo into 5D or 3D diamond painting and how much would it cost to have a pattern or photo converted
Thank you karen