Blackwork

Moderators: rcperryls, Rose, karen4bells, Serinde, Alex

probablynot

Blackwork

Post by probablynot »

Sometimes, as a sort of diversion from cross-stitch, I like to try my hand at blackwork. For example:

[1] A matching pair of pictures. These came as kits - sorry but I can't remember who produced them. I wish there were more kits available like this.

[2] A chess-board. I got the chart for this from a magazine. I don't very often get inspired by the charts I find in cross-stitch magazines, but occasionally I find a gem. This was one.

Executing these intricate blackwork patterns calls for real attention to detail.
There seem to be plenty of small and simple blackwork kits/charts available, but not many that I'd regard as challenging. I keep looking though ...
Brian
Cross-stitcher since 2005. Model ship builder since 2012. Former canoeist, orienteer, astronomer, craft show organiser, secret-cult member. Currently a happy man.
rcperryls

Re: Blackwork

Post by rcperryls »

:applesauce: :applesauce: Those are stunning! We have several members who have done some lovely Blackwork projects. I have several in my stash, but haven't stitched them yet. Have you seen this website, Blackwork Journey? She has many beautiful patterns and quite a few that are freebies. A search on Sew and So showed quite a few kits as well. I hope you will show us any that you are working on now.

Carole
:dance:
WIPs
Star Wars Afghan:Chewbaca
HAEDs:
O Kitten Tree
Dancing with the Cat
Everything else "on hold"
2022 Finished: Star Wars Afghan: Princess Leia, Obi-Wan Kenobi, Yoda, Finn, Rey, Poe, Han Solo,Darth Vader, BB8,Luke Skywalker
wendywombat

Post by wendywombat »

I seem to recognise that blackwood chess board pattern. :D Did it come from New Stitches magazine? I have almost a full set of those and the designer did some superb blackwood patterns. Some will still be available on http://www.stitchdirect.com" target="_blank I think Henry VII and his wives are available as well as Elizabeth I . There are some buildings too.
I really admire blackwood but I prefer Hardanger for intricate work.

Love those ladies BTW :applesauce:

*edit* I gave the wrong link to Stitch Direct...I've corrected it now! :oops:
Last edited by wendywombat on Wed Aug 10, 2016 10:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
Squirrel

Post by Squirrel »

WOW that is amazing work and I too love the Ladies. The chess board is interesting and colourful and all are beautifully stitched. Well Done on all of them :whoop: :applesauce:

I have done one or two small blackwork designs for cards and often thought about getting a chart or two but I already have more than enough for my remaining lifetime (I am inmy 80's) I am sure. I hope to see more lovely blackwork from your busy needles. :D
Sally in Brisbane Australia

WIPS
Christmas Stocking from World of Cross Stitching mag. 262
fccs

Post by fccs »

Your blackwork is beautiful! I've done a few smaller pieces and really love it! I was actually rather surprised that I liked it so much because it is, in many ways, just like back stitching and that's my least favorite part of cross stitching. :-)
Debby

(main) WIPs
Angel of Love
Book of Mythical Creatures
Cache la Poudre
Past Present Forever
Fishing Friends
maggiepie

Re: Black

Post by maggiepie »

I agree that black work looks good, but I too hate back stitching! In my cross stitching I have progressed to more complicated patterns that don need back stitching , so will stick to that .
probablynot

Post by probablynot »

Thanks for the kind comments everyone.
I agree about back-stitching being something of a chore when it's on top of a lovingly-executed cross-stitch workpiece. Blackwork done on a pristine piece of evenweave, however, that's something different.
I'm not sure which magazine I found that chessboard in. Was most likely Cross Stitch Gold, I think, but can't be certain.
Brian
Cross-stitcher since 2005. Model ship builder since 2012. Former canoeist, orienteer, astronomer, craft show organiser, secret-cult member. Currently a happy man.
wendywombat

Post by wendywombat »

:oops: Sorry...gave the wrong link to Stitch Direct ! :doh: Should be http://www.stitchdirect.com/" target="_blank" target="_blank

Must remember Not to put a link up Just Before bed time! :roll: :lol:

If you like Blackwork figures have a look at these!

http://www.stitchdirect.com/index.php/d ... gures.html" target="_blank
kandifloss

Post by kandifloss »

Fabulous, well done

Kandi :rainbow:
Kandi

There is always a rainbow somewhere in the world even If you cannot see one
So never give up hope
nettie

Post by nettie »

I have always admired and these are lovely pieces that you have finished!
karen4bells

Post by karen4bells »

Very pretty!!
Work in Progress
Dimensions Passion Flower Angel
Tempting Tangles Welcome SAL
Various small designs

Lulu22

Post by Lulu22 »

Wow absolutely stunning :applesauce:
WIPS
Snow
Gamer Nouveau
Clara
Meadow
probablynot

Post by probablynot »

Thanks again for the comments.
Actually I was hoping that, by starting a thread entitled 'Blackwork', I might have encouraged others here to post pictures of their own similar work.
Admiration's nice. Company is better!
Brian
fccs

Post by fccs »

I've posted this elsewhere on the forum, but here it is again in an effort to get things going. It certainly can't compare to your gorgeous pieces, but it was a lot of fun to stitch.

Debby

(main) WIPs
Angel of Love
Book of Mythical Creatures
Cache la Poudre
Past Present Forever
Fishing Friends
wendywombat

Post by wendywombat »

Stunning on that fabric!! :applesauce: :applesauce: :wub:
probablynot

Post by probablynot »

Ah, yes! A good one, Debby. Nicely executed.
Brian