Sewing machine recommendations

Moderators: rcperryls, Rose, karen4bells, Serinde, Alex

Roland

Re: Sewing machine recommendations

Post by Roland »

probablynot wrote:I had a Frister & Rossman Cub 3 for about 35 years. I went for the name because when I was a kid my mum had a F&R treadle sewing machine (hey, I'm talking nineteen-forties here!). It served me well, but about 7 years ago I found I had some spare cash and I upgraded to a Toyota EZ1.
It has a few more stitch patterns to offer than my old Cub-3, but for me the best thing is, I don't have to rely on the foot pedal! I can set the stitch speed and turn it on/off with my thumb!
I considered one with an on/off button, but nobody could assure me I would have as much speed control.

~~~

My son is starting to ask details about my machine. Halloween must be coming. Lol
wendywombat

Post by wendywombat »

My Pfaff has a switch on the foot pedal to decrease the speed for intricate work.

I like a foot pedal ...bit like the throttle on a car!! (don't know what that control is in U.S Speak!! :roll: )
rcperryls

Post by rcperryls »

Is that a gas pedal?? Only floor pedal in a car that I can think of that controls speed .

Carole
:thinks:
WIPs
Star Wars Afghan:Chewbaca
HAEDs:
O Kitten Tree
Dancing with the Cat
Everything else "on hold"
2022 Finished: Star Wars Afghan: Princess Leia, Obi-Wan Kenobi, Yoda, Finn, Rey, Poe, Han Solo,Darth Vader, BB8,Luke Skywalker
wendywombat

Post by wendywombat »

rcperryls wrote:Is that a gas pedal?? Only floor pedal in a car that I can think of that controls speed .

Carole
:thinks:
It is! Funny how we speak the same language but still there are different words for the same thing :lol: I think of gas as something you use for cooking
rcperryls

Post by rcperryls »

Gas is short for gasoline. Petrol in British speak. Gas is also,used for cooking and heating, also referred to as natural gas vs gasoline.

Different states also have different expressions for the same things. Can be confusing over here too! I would think that different counties or countries,in the UK are like that too.

Carole
:tizzy:
WIPs
Star Wars Afghan:Chewbaca
HAEDs:
O Kitten Tree
Dancing with the Cat
Everything else "on hold"
2022 Finished: Star Wars Afghan: Princess Leia, Obi-Wan Kenobi, Yoda, Finn, Rey, Poe, Han Solo,Darth Vader, BB8,Luke Skywalker
richardandtracy

Post by richardandtracy »

Carole, yes,
gas pedal (US English) = throttle ([real]UK English)

The reason it's called a 'throttle' is that the pedal operates the butterfly valve in the carburettor venturi (I'm speaking non-fuel injection engines here). Changing the angle of incidence can throttle the flow rate of air into the engine. If the venturi is fully throttled, little air gets through so little power, while at fully open, the engine is giving maximum power.

As usual, with common usage the terminology is as wrong as it can be. When a car is going flat out, common usage has it as being at 'Full Throttle'. In engineering usage, 'Full Throttle' means minimum air going in to the engine, so virtually no power. :doh:

Regards,

Richard
http://www.chestnutpens.co.uk
Free Charting Program for PC's Info Zip Installation
wendywombat

Post by wendywombat »

I guess I should have said 'accelerator pedal' :roll: :lol:
curly sue

Post by curly sue »

My parents called the gas pedal a "foot feed"!