Carole's Crochet

Moderators: rcperryls, Rose, karen4bells, Serinde, Alex

Carole

Re: Carole's Crochet

Post by Carole »

I've been plodding along with this and have some more squares done.

Week seven - bobbles - Stars colourway

Week eight - waffle stitch - Stars

I struggled for ages with the tension on week nine when doing the Rain blanket so abandoned it to catch up with Stars. When I went back to it, there were no problems at all. It came up the right size first time. Bizarre, but I'm not complaining.

Week nine - Rain

Week nine - Stars

Week ten is the latest to give me problems. I can do the stitch, I just don't want to. It's fiddly and time consuming and I feel it's too much time and effort for a 'meh' finish. I'm doing shell stitch instead as I feel it fits in with the theme, it looks good, and is easy enough to do.

In the meantime, (sigh) I seemed to have signed up for yet another CAL. Obviously having three blankets on the go wasn't enough :roll: :shock:

This one is the Carousel CAL by Stylecraft and I'm doing it in their new Batik yarn which is quite yummy. I've completed part one and am champing at the bit for part two in a few days.

I really should update this more often rather than suddenly flooding it with hundreds of photos, but the problem I'm having is that every time I try to type anything, it attracts Rosie's attention and she climbs onto my lap for a cuddle, usually arranging one arm around her so that I have to type one-handed. Not complaining, you understand, just explaining :lol:
Current WIPs
Precious Dreams
Crazy cat lady
Previous WIPs
Previous WIPs

kandifloss

Post by kandifloss »

:whoop: :applesauce: :applesauce: These are great Carole, well done. Lovely & neat, like the colours. You have done very well with these :)

Glad Rosie is OK, how old is she?

Kandi :rainbow:
Kandi

There is always a rainbow somewhere in the world even If you cannot see one
So never give up hope
Carole

Post by Carole »

kandifloss wrote:
Glad Rosie is OK, how old is she?

Kandi :rainbow:
Rosie is about 5 1/2 months now. She's a little darling :wub:
Current WIPs
Precious Dreams
Crazy cat lady
Previous WIPs
Previous WIPs

rcperryls

Post by rcperryls »

:applesauce: :applesauce: I love these and for the first time in years have thought about crocheting. That was my craft for years until I discovered cross stitch. The squares you are making are wonderful and yes, if it is between typing or cuddling a kitten, kittens always win. Laverne does not like my new scroll frame for some reason (probably because I prefer to use it in the Lowery which she doesn't love) and will claim my lap, especially in the evenings when there isn't sun shining and doors open. She wins. And I either stop stitching or have discovered some strange ways of holding a big frame with a cat in my lap. I can't think how she'd be with yarn!

Carole
:dance:
WIPs
Star Wars Afghan:Chewbaca
HAEDs:
O Kitten Tree
Dancing with the Cat
Everything else "on hold"
2022 Finished: Star Wars Afghan: Princess Leia, Obi-Wan Kenobi, Yoda, Finn, Rey, Poe, Han Solo,Darth Vader, BB8,Luke Skywalker
wendywombat

Post by wendywombat »

Wow! These are amazing patterns!
I can crochet but my tension is rubbish ! ! :doh: I once made a rabbit for my daughter. Supposed to be 8" tall.......mine was 15" tall and all the stuffing came out of the holes :lol:
Squirrel

Post by Squirrel »

Carole those squares are amazing and so interesting too. Love the little motif too, great colourways you have used. As for dear Rosie of course she has to have a cuddle so just post when you can, we enjoy them either way. In fact I think seeing a bunch together is nicer. :D
Sally in Brisbane Australia

WIPS
Christmas Stocking from World of Cross Stitching mag. 262
Mabel Figworthy

Post by Mabel Figworthy »

These are absolutely beautiful - makes me want to pick up crochet again! (although I probably won't - too much stitching to do...)
My favourite is the bobble heart, that is just so gorgeous :wub:
Visit Mabel's Fancies at www.mabelfigworthy.co.uk
WIPs
Elizabethan Beauty, RSN Certificate & Online
Waiting
Soli Deo Gloria, Mechthild, bling unicorn, goldwork & silk shading kits

Flights of Fancy (blog)
Mabel's FB page
Carole

Post by Carole »

Thanks for all the lovely comments. It's amazing how many of us do several crafts, isn't it.

I've finished part two of the Carousel CAL. It consisted of 16 strips that were joined to the centre motif. The joining stitch was a new one to me and took a few goes to get the hang of, but I love how it looks.

Close up of the join

Current WIPs
Precious Dreams
Crazy cat lady
Previous WIPs
Previous WIPs

Squirrel

Post by Squirrel »

WOW Carole, that is awesome and such lovely colours too. WELL DONE :whoop: :whoop: :whoop:

WIPS
Mabel Figworthy

Post by Mabel Figworthy »

What a great design and the joining stitch looks really interesting - is it done with a crochet hook as well or is it sewn with a needle?
Visit Mabel's Fancies at www.mabelfigworthy.co.uk
WIPs
Elizabethan Beauty, RSN Certificate & Online
Waiting
Soli Deo Gloria, Mechthild, bling unicorn, goldwork & silk shading kits

Flights of Fancy (blog)
Mabel's FB page
Carole

Post by Carole »

Mabel Figworthy wrote:What a great design and the joining stitch looks really interesting - is it done with a crochet hook as well or is it sewn with a needle?
It's crocheted. You do a Double Crochet (US = SC) into one piece and Slipstitch into the other one, all the way down. You insert the hook from the top with the pieces flat and side by side. It's fiddly to start with but once you figure out the best way to hold the work, it flows nicely and it's easy to match the pieces together.

Part three is pentagons and they're joined to the main piece, and each other, as you go along using the same method.
Current WIPs
Precious Dreams
Crazy cat lady
Previous WIPs
Previous WIPs

Lulu22

Post by Lulu22 »

I'm still wishing I could crochet I would love to make a blanket, they look amazing :applesauce:
WIPS
Snow
Gamer Nouveau
Clara
Meadow
rcperryls

Post by rcperryls »

This is absolutely beautiful! For the first time in years I could see myself getting back into crocheting. For now, though, I am content to watch you. Keep the updates coming!

Carole
WIPs
HAEDs:
O Kitten Tree
Dancing with the Cat
2022 Finished: Star Wars Afghan: Princess Leia, Obi-Wan Kenobi, Yoda, Finn, Rey, Poe, Han Solo,Darth Vader, BB8,Luke Skywalker
Carole

Post by Carole »

Despite crocheting away like a mad thing on the new Carousel CAL, I've managed to get some more done on the Last Dance blankets. I can't see this surge of activity lasting mind you as I'm off on holiday in a couple of weeks so have a lot of holiday prepping to do on my days off.

I'd decided to replace the squares for week ten as I wasn't keen and found a shell stitch that some of the other CAL-ers were using. I used it for the Rain blanket.

It was ok, but I didn't love it so I found another shell stitch in one of my books and used that for the Stars blanket.

I liked that one much better. Finally, I managed to get all the squares for the Rain blanket, week eleven done. It's a bit boring to hook, but it's ok.

Just twelve more squares to go and I can start joining them together. There's a distinct possibility that one or both blankets will be finished this year :shock:
Current WIPs
Precious Dreams
Crazy cat lady
Previous WIPs
Previous WIPs

wendywombat

Post by wendywombat »

I just love that Carousel!! Amazing colours and so clever how the radiating strips bring it all together. Now it looks like the roof of a Carousel! :applesauce: :applesauce:

Bet you can't wait to get those squares put together....I'll get settled down on the Magic Bench to watch that!! :whoop:
rcperryls

Post by rcperryls »

wendywombat wrote:I just love that Carousel!! Amazing colours and so clever how the radiating strips bring it all together. Now it looks like the roof of a Carousel! :applesauce: :applesauce:

Bet you can't wait to get those squares put together....I'll get settled down on the Magic Bench to watch that!! :whoop:
Save a place for me, Wendy. I'll pop into the Stash & Grab and get us some drinks (do you prefer :coffee: :tea: or :wine: ) and :cake: while we watch!

Carole
WIPs
HAEDs:
O Kitten Tree
Dancing with the Cat
wendywombat

Post by wendywombat »

rcperryls wrote:
wendywombat wrote:I just love that Carousel!! Amazing colours and so clever how the radiating strips bring it all together. Now it looks like the roof of a Carousel! :applesauce: :applesauce:

Save a place for me, Wendy. I'll pop into the Stash & Grab and get us some drinks (do you prefer :coffee: :tea: or :wine: ) and :cake: while we watch!

Carole
Depends on the time of day!! :coffee: in the morning, :tea: in the afternoon and :wine: any time!!! :lol: hic!
Carole

Post by Carole »

Next part of the Carousel is finished. It's made up of 16 pentagons. It was a bit tricky taking a photo as it's getting a bit large now :)

I'm busily hooking hexagons for part four at the moment. It's slow going though and I probably won't be finished before we go on our hols.
Current WIPs
Precious Dreams
Crazy cat lady
Previous WIPs
Previous WIPs

Squirrel

Post by Squirrel »

OH WOW that is looking absolutely amazing Carole. Love the colours you are using too. It is going to be really gorgeous - any idea what you will do with it when it is all done?

WIPS
xstitchalanna

Post by xstitchalanna »

Very beautiful!
Working on QS Phantom of the Opera from HAED for their challenge #4