My first box

Moderators: rcperryls, Rose, karen4bells, Serinde, Alex

Corey.G

My first box

Post by Corey.G »

Well as some of you may know I do some woodworking as well as cross stitch. What i normally use is just a lathe (for those who don't know you can make baseball bats and spindles for railings and such on there) and the only other things I've done was some very basic things back in my first year of high school in 2000.

But I wanted to be more well rounded when it came to woodworking. But I don't have a garage or house at the moment (used to use my parents garage) and since I'm in a apartment you can't use power tools. And lately I've been craving to work with wood again very badly. So I restricted myself to hand tools.

So I decided to make a box. Simple enough right? Wrong. The pieces of wood that I got for free (don't want to spend extra money when just learning) were too big to fit into the mitre box I had. So I decided to push my brain to come up with a solution so I could make 45 degree angles. And I found a way to do it.

So I freehand cut 45 degree angles and although it didn't turn out perfect, it resembles a box so I'm happy. No nails either, thats one of the reasons I chose this way instead of just slapping four pieces of wood together. The angles aren't perfect, but since this is my first time using hand tools I consider it complete. Just need to sand and maybe stain.

I present, what I've candidly nicknamed my Ghetto Box. Mostly cause you can see the gaps.

fccs

Re: My first box

Post by fccs »

I, for one, am impressed. Sometimes I can barely make a box from the flat cardboard ones you get at the post office. :-)
Debby

(main) WIPs
Angel of Love
Book of Mythical Creatures
Cache la Poudre
Past Present Forever
Fishing Friends
tiffstitch

Post by tiffstitch »

It still looks solid and practice makes perfect. :)
lillybit

Post by lillybit »

My Dad always taught me that if something is worth doing it is worth doing badly _To begin with. You've made a great start on that path.
Squirrel

Post by Squirrel »

For a first effort that is totally amazing Corey. :whoop: :whoop: :whoop: It looks sturdy and the sides etc are matching and the top will be perfect next time. Love it. What would you use it for?
Sally in Brisbane Australia

WIPS
Christmas Stocking from World of Cross Stitching mag. 262
Allyn

Post by Allyn »

Having done a bit of woodworking myself, I can say that working with hand tools does take some practice. :) The joints may be a bit wide for the wood glue to hold.

Sooooo what are you going to put in the box?

WIP
Rose

Post by Rose »

Hey we all have to start someplace. And this is a good start. As you continue I think it will not be long and you will have it just as you want them.

Good for you for at least making a try at it!!!!!!! :whoop:
If you are looking for some one to help change you, look in the mirror
Corey.G

Post by Corey.G »

Thanks everyone. And although the gaps were a little wide the glue still held. Yay!

And for those asking I'm going to be using this as a pencil holder.
richardandtracy

Post by richardandtracy »

Nice first try.

As you can't use power tools in your flat, maybe you can consider using old fashioned moulding planes to create the joint. These are hand planes but with a shaped base & blade to create an effect like a power router.

My first suggestion would be a half lap joint:
This would require a relatively basic moulding plane, but something like the Stanley 78 Rebate plane (http://www.tooled-up.com/manproduct/sta ... 078/10108/) will make doing this a great deal easier. Wooden moulding planes are cheap and fairly widely available (in the UK at least) and look like these in the Google Search here https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=mould ... UoAg&dpr=1 . The wooden ones are harder to use, and %*£"$^&%* difficult to sharpen, but they come in milliards of shapes, and if you can't find the shape you want, they can be made at home (with some difficulty).

Regards,

Richard
http://www.chestnutpens.co.uk
Free Charting Program for PC's Info Zip Installation
lavenderbee

Post by lavenderbee »

That is a wonderful first effort, very well done :applesauce: :applesauce: :applesauce: :D I would not know where to being so full marks to you on your first effort & hope it is one of many. Look forward to seeing another item when you make one. Enjoy your woodworking :applesauce: :D
lavenderbee :-)

stitching is beewitching

Things only become problems if you let them
rcperryls

Post by rcperryls »

fccs wrote:I, for one, am impressed. Sometimes I can barely make a box from the flat cardboard ones you get at the post office. :-)
I have to agree with Debby. I am very impressed.

Carole
:dance:
WIPs
Star Wars Afghan:Chewbaca
HAEDs:
O Kitten Tree
Dancing with the Cat
Everything else "on hold"
2022 Finished: Star Wars Afghan: Princess Leia, Obi-Wan Kenobi, Yoda, Finn, Rey, Poe, Han Solo,Darth Vader, BB8,Luke Skywalker
Corey.G

Post by Corey.G »

Hey Richard. I have one small block plane and this new plane I got from Christmas called a router plane. It's really neat and look forward to trying it out. I plan on trying it on my second project. Going going to maybe try different joints next time too kind of like what you had suggested.
richardandtracy

Post by richardandtracy »

Router Plane is an alternative, but much less common, name for them in the UK. So you're set up already. Look forward to seeing the next one.

I have a photo of a little pen box I designed & routed with my little CNC machine, unfortunately it's not finished yet:
and should look like this eventually, with the machining inside matching the pattern on the pen that goes in it:
The wood is walnut, and the insert is faux ivory polyester resin.

Regards,

Richard.
http://www.chestnutpens.co.uk
Free Charting Program for PC's Info Zip Installation
Corey.G

Post by Corey.G »

Very nice. I love the contrast with the ivory. Gives it a classy touch. And I'm so jealous you have a CNC machine. Lucky guy.