Serinde lives up to her name update 29 Jan 2024

Moderators: rcperryls, Rose, karen4bells, Serinde, Alex

Serinde

Re: Serinde lives up to her name

Post by Serinde »

I've hardly had a minute to do anything fun, and haven't got back to the weaving at all. :tantrum: But the book is in it's last, manic and hysterical work phase, so the end is in sight! :whoop:
agi

Post by agi »

:dance: :dance:
Agi

"The world, as a colourful knot of threads, has turned into a memory, and now you cannot be sure whether it was real."
(Géza Ottlik, Hungarian writer)

My blog
lillybit

Post by lillybit »

Well done Serinde. Although i spin knit and crochet and weaving has always intrigued me, I long ago chose not to go there because I saw a real risk that I may have to move out of my house to make room for another craft !
richardandtracy

Post by richardandtracy »

Within the last couple of weeks I've been to Cotehele (a Stately Home just inside Cornwall, http://www.nationaltrust.org.uk/cotehele/ ) with huge areas of rather faded tapestries from the 1600's or 1700's. They were put in place in the 1750's, but had been used in another house before then & were cut about to fit the smaller Cotehele.

Must admit I was wondering how a woven picture can be created. None of the textbooks on weaving I've seen have shown anything like that. It must be said, though, that most of what I've seen has its origin in the 1960's/70's where the emphasis was on new textures and materials being used to create an 'artistically authentic' look or some such high faluting twaddle, rather than create a picture, or even something that looked nice. To give you an idea: One textbook advocated the use of plastic carrier bag strips to be woven in, to get 'an interesting texture'. Yeah, the texture of 'rubbish', needless to say I didn't pay much attention to what the author said after that.

Do you have any idea, Serinde, how this technique can be used to make a picture? Strikes me that chart making programs can be used to decide the colours, and where they should go, but the bit I can't figure is the actual weaving of the colours in the weft.

Regards,

Richard
http://www.chestnutpens.co.uk
Free Charting Program for PC's Info Zip Installation
mysterystitcher

Post by mysterystitcher »

I don't know much about weaving (OK, I've done that in small and "real" size), but those are awesome. The latter's colors...I think they don't "scream" that much. You have a good taste on colors. Keep up the good work. I'm sure you'll tame that loom in no time.
Best: MysteryStitcher

My needlepoint blog: http://mysteriousstitching.blogspot.com

My knitting blog: https://mysteriousknitting.blogspot.com
Serinde

Post by Serinde »

Thanks for the prod.. Now that I've a bit of time I really want to get back to weaving. I'm being tempted by a borrowed in inkle loom but I've almost no idea what fibre to use. :neutral:
mysterystitcher

Post by mysterystitcher »

I am sure you will tame that loom in no time.
Best: MysteryStitcher

My needlepoint blog: http://mysteriousstitching.blogspot.com

My knitting blog: https://mysteriousknitting.blogspot.com
Serinde

Post by Serinde »

Well, it's been a while, I know, but at the recent Knitting and Stitching Show in Edinburgh, I was able to take advantage of Rachel John's wool cakes as well as the redoubtable Three Bags Wool to get some serious stash for the new peg loom. The pegs are 6mm diameter and 6mm apart, so a relatively fine sett as peg looms go. The "wool" is actually made up of five or six threads each; including ribbon (that's the gold flecks) and all sorts of stuff. After a shaky start, this is where I have got to so far:

lavenderbee

Post by lavenderbee »

:whoop: :whoop: :whoop: That's fabulous Serinde. Well done on such a good start of your weaving. Hope you are enjoying it. Look forward to next update as it will be very interesting to watch this grow. Another string to your bow :applesauce: :applesauce: :D
lavenderbee :-)

stitching is beewitching

Things only become problems if you let them
tiffstitch

Post by tiffstitch »

That looks really interesting and difficult, great start with it and glad you're enjoying it.
rcperryls

Post by rcperryls »

:applesauce: :applesauce: That is so cool!!! I started reading this about 1/2 hr ago and then immediately had to "google" peg looms and have been watching YouTube videos about peg loom weaving! Looks like fun. I can't wait to see your progress on this. Did you build the loom yourself? The first video said that this originated with the Vikings who would use strips of leather to weave. Really fascinating.

Carole
:dance:
WIPs
Star Wars Afghan:Chewbaca
HAEDs:
O Kitten Tree
Dancing with the Cat
Everything else "on hold"
2022 Finished: Star Wars Afghan: Princess Leia, Obi-Wan Kenobi, Yoda, Finn, Rey, Poe, Han Solo,Darth Vader, BB8,Luke Skywalker
Squirrel

Post by Squirrel »

:whoop: :whoop: :whoop: Fabulous Serinde and such a wonderful mix of wools and other fibres. Great start on it and I am looking forward to seeing more next time. :lol:
Sally in Brisbane Australia

WIPS
Christmas Stocking from World of Cross Stitching mag. 262
wendywombat

Post by wendywombat »

:whoop: :applesauce: :applesauce: Well done!!
That's really clever! I love the way that the lighter yarn hitches up neatly over the lower dark triangles! :D :applesauce: :applesauce:
Serinde

Post by Serinde »

For weaving, this is pretty easy stuff. The rigid warp pegs make it easier in a lot of ways. And I'm learning A LOT about yarn! :shock:

WW, that's called a distorted weft. Apparently. There are a lot of weaving tricks I'd like to learn...

Want some eye candy? This isn't a million miles away from what a lot of stitchers are doing (especially the window book and use of dyed fabric) and you want practical? Here you go. :D

Richard, I was particularly thinking of you with the Sally Swett website. Real pictures, as detailed as you like, and not a plastic bag to be seen.
tiffstitch

Post by tiffstitch »

Oh no... I think I found another craft I have to try. :lol:
rcperryls

Post by rcperryls »

WOW!!! I don't have time for this, Miss Serinde but it is very inviting and fun to think about! Perhaps in my next life I can come back as a weaver of all sorts!

Carole
:thinks:
WIPs
Star Wars Afghan:Chewbaca
HAEDs:
O Kitten Tree
Dancing with the Cat
Everything else "on hold"
2022 Finished: Star Wars Afghan: Princess Leia, Obi-Wan Kenobi, Yoda, Finn, Rey, Poe, Han Solo,Darth Vader, BB8,Luke Skywalker
Serinde

Post by Serinde »

I need another couple of lifetimes, too. :ribbit:

Here's the "wool" I'm using. It's originally sold for extreme knitting, and is very textured. 250g a "cake".

stitchhappy18

Post by stitchhappy18 »

I had to go back and catch up on this thread. What a fantastic endeavor. It is always fun to learn something new. You are doing a great job it looks lovely.
Lisa

Current WIPS:
PSS 12 Days of Christmas
FPS Trick or Treat
Mary Hickmott - Barn Owl
Fleur de Lys Tree
FPS National Parks

2016 Finishes

Filigree Heart
Damask Square
Wash & Pray
Finch
Needleworker
Spooked!
richardandtracy

Post by richardandtracy »

:oops:
Only just seen this update.
Looks so nice. I really don't need another hobby to try, but weaving always seems to be in the background when I think of picture made from thread. I am getting closer & closer to taking a small plunge.

Regards

Richard.
http://www.chestnutpens.co.uk
Free Charting Program for PC's Info Zip Installation
lavenderbee

Post by lavenderbee »

Love the different textured threads Serinde. Would be fun trying to knit with those as well as weaving them. As others say, perhaps another time, another life :applesauce: :D
lavenderbee :-)

stitching is beewitching

Things only become problems if you let them