Question for those that sew/ quilt

Moderators: rcperryls, Rose, karen4bells, Serinde, Alex

MaggieM1750

Question for those that sew/ quilt

Post by MaggieM1750 »

Ok, so I've been totally enamored with my sewing machine. Hand-me-down from my aunt that was moving in January.

Its my first time touching a sewing machine since about 8th grade when we had to make a pair of shorts. My mother has done all the machine sewing I've needed for finishing cross stitch projects. But.. now that I have a machine of my own, I cannot stop finding new projects that I must sew.

One of the projects I have in mind to do is a parade/ picnic blanket. I've seen quite a few "patterns" on Pinterest boards. Theres really nothing to a pattern.. so its mainly just about how to sew the binding, fabric yardage requirements, and how to attach a handle.

My question is about the materials. I went to the fabric store today. The things I've read online for the backing.. some say duck cloth or oil cloth, some say use flocked back vinyl tablecloth fabric. I really just want to make sure the moisture barrier is there, and also that leaves and grass doesn't stick to it- and am leaning towards a roll of outdoor fabric. Is duck/oil cloth different than outdoor fabric? I was thinking I wanted a little something between the top and bottom layers.. like a fleece blanket. But if I add that in the middle, would I need to quilt it to keep it all together? Can I put outdoor fabric on top and bottom with the fleece in the middle? Or outdoor fabric on bottom, fleece in middle, regular quilting cotton on top? I picked up some Denim needles.. was told I would need them for those heavy fabrics.
Heidi

Re: Question for those that sew/ quilt

Post by Heidi »

So glad you got a sewing machine. I love mine!

I would use an vinyl material, like an oil cloth for the bottom of the blanket so that it doesn't get wet. For the top of the blanket I would use a sturdy material. You don't have to you an actual blanket for the middle. You use a felt like material in between. I would secure the lays by either stitching vertical or horizontally, or another nice touch is to sew buttons in random places. The demin needles are great especially when you want to stitch layers.

Good luck! Would love to see how it goes.
WIP:
A Pair of Shoes - Van Gogh (10%)

Completed projects:
Sweet Dreams by Me to You - Tatty Teddy
Emerald Mermaid by Nora Corbett
Hoot Owls - Baby Sleeps Here
Angel Proclamation by Nora Corbett
Mini HAED Rose By Rachel Anderson
Squirrel

Post by Squirrel »

Can't help with the fabric for the bottom of the blanket but the middle and top layers are available in any quilting or good fabric store. Batting is in various thicknesses you just need to choose which you would be happiest with. For the top use cotton fabric, which is strong and good wearing.

Good luck with it, it sounds an interesting project. :D
Sally in Brisbane Australia

WIPS
Christmas Stocking from World of Cross Stitching mag. 262
DahliaDoll

Post by DahliaDoll »

I would suggest that you consult with your local fabric store. If you use a flannel-backed vinyl type material, you may not need or want any batting. If you're going to be carrying it any distance, you might consider how heavy it would be if you were to add batting. Also, with a vinyl backing, you probably wouldn't be putting it in the dryer when washing it, so batting would also take much longer to line dry. Just some thoughts off the top of my head. It sounds like a great project.
My Blog: Crafting is My Busy-Ness

乁( •_• )ㄏ
MaggieM1750

Post by MaggieM1750 »

Thanks all.. I thought this sounded like a fun, easy project. Certainly fun.. not so sure about the easy part now that I've thought about the steps that will go into it.

The fleece that I was thinking of using for the middle.. is what I have currently been using as a parade blanket. I bought it from IKEA for like $4 a few years ago. Theres nothing to it.. no edging, nothing. And its probably close to the size I want for my new blanket. Its full of sticks and leaves.. everything sticks to fleece!! I shake it out as best I can, but really I don't care, it stays in the trunk of my car. I think I've washed it once.. after someone spilled a soda on it. And.. I want a little bit of padding to this new blanket. Something more than just two layers of fabric. So, thats why I was thinking of using it for the middle layer.

The tag on the outdoor fabric I was thinking of using says its water resistant.. its the same fabric you would use for patio cushions or an umbrella. Its some sort of polyester or a nylon. I've just not seen anything in the stores I've been in that says.. oil cloth. (but.. 1 was a quilt shop, JoAnns and Hancock fabrics) And.. since I've seen various materials called for in the tutorials.. thought the outdoor fabric would be OK? But now I am wondering if it will be too heavy when finished- hadn't thought about that. Or too thick to roll easily.. 2 layers outdoor fabric + a layer of fleece... hmmm. I also wondered if there is different terms for the same type of fabric.. in this region its called oil cloth.. in that region its duck cloth.. and over there, its vinyl cloth. Because.. oil or duck cloth should be with the wide rolls of fabric? Maybe I need to find an upholstery shop instead of a fabric store?

This whole world of fabrics is totally new to me. The ladies at the fabric store today were not much help. (But.. it was also busy.. so I'll try again) I haven't bought anything yet.. wanted to see what was my fabric options were, and to price out this little project.
carolanne

Post by carolanne »

oil cloth used to very popular for everyday table covers because you could just wipe it off. This was before vinyl. I'm not sure I've seen oilcloth in a while, or maybe its been renamed. I've been seeing waterproof "fabrics" in the yard goods sections of WalMart and Hobby Lobby recently. I had some ideas running around in my head also. You could probably wash these items, but perhaps not auto dry, altho my dryer has a no heat tumble.