Sandblast etch completed on mirror (pic intensive)

Moderators: rcperryls, Rose, karen4bells, Serinde, Alex

Leroy_B

Sandblast etch completed on mirror (pic intensive)

Post by Leroy_B »

So for the past week I've been busy working on a 3'x4' mirror for a motorcycle club. The image they wanted etched is the banner and lettering of the name of the club, Intrepid Souls. Fired up the wood stove in the garage and began work with temps in the teens. Been 20 years since my last engraving/etch and sandblasting job, so I knuckle downed. Drew the image on paper the same size as the mirror fitting the lettering length wise. Masked off the mirror. Applied paper to mirror and began cutting thru the paper peeling up what will be sandblasted. Once the paper served it's purpose it was time to pull it all up and clean up the masking re-cutting what may have not been correct size. Ready for blasting outside. Weather was 45-50 degrees and sunny, a heat wave for the day. Once done then carried it back to the garage work table, pulled the masking off and cleaned it up. Just a few touch ups with the glass engraver to bring out some of the details and it's finished. It was mentioned in passing about making a frame from oak or maple to compliment the scroll work.
This is the clubs patch that is sewn on their vest or leather jacket.
Cutting the template thru paper with image drawn.
All cut and cleaned up, getting ready to sandblast.
It was relaxing to work at my pace, quiet, alone, wood in the stove crackling and listening to customized music on the surround sound stereo on Pandora.com.
The drawing served it's purpose. I'll use it to start the next fire in the stove. Serve 2 purposes.
Outside ready to let the sand fly. We had a heat wave. Temperatures were perfect, 50 degrees.
Finished and cleaned up.
A couple of selfies of me at work.

Wanted to share one hobby of others I occupy my time, making a few extra dollars to buy more supplies needed. Surprisingly I enjoyed working on the mirror. What's nice is no rush, working at good pace.

Thanks for viewing. :D
Leroy
Rose

Re: Sandblast etch completed on mirror (pic intensive)

Post by Rose »

That is very impressive, I like the art work on the patch and you did an awesome job with the lettering.

I am curious what kind of blasting machine you use? And what kind of medium? I use a beadblaster at our shop so it intrigues me that you do such great work with that type of equipment. Of course what I use the blaster for is far different then what you do. :D
If you are looking for some one to help change you, look in the mirror
Leroy_B

Post by Leroy_B »

Thank you Rose, glad you like. I don't have a blasting machine just a simple container that holds a couple of cup fulls of the media used to spot sand for auto body work and a 3 gallon compressor with a water trap and air regulator. I used play sand sifted thru window screen and for finer media I'd re-sift the sand thru smaller screen for a finer grit. The sand is inexpensive tho takes time to sift.
Leroy
Rose

Post by Rose »

Okay I see. I have a picture in my head of how it is done. Completely get it.

We have to use glass bead for what we do and it can get pretty pricey. :(
If you are looking for some one to help change you, look in the mirror
cristaltipps

Post by cristaltipps »

Its always great to see a new type of hobby and this looked like a really good project, i enjoyed seeing the different steps in the pics. Great result I imagine they will be really pleased with it and once it is framed and hung its going to look stunning. :applesauce:
NeedleAndFork

Post by NeedleAndFork »

That is very cool!! I love the finished result that you got.
My blog: Obsessed With Thread

My WIPs: Kimono Lantern Mermaid, Rovaris Alphabet Sampler Christmas Ornaments

Participant of: Ornament a Month SAL, Stitch from Stash Challenge
rcperryls

Post by rcperryls »

:applesauce: :applesauce: Thank you for the step by step description of how you did this piece. I enjoyed that and think that you did a fantastic job. Working on glass (mirror) means no mistakes. You can't frog if you have a misstep. Don't think I'd have the courage to do this, but love the results.

Carole
:dance:
WIPs
Star Wars Afghan:Chewbaca
HAEDs:
O Kitten Tree
Dancing with the Cat
Everything else "on hold"
2022 Finished: Star Wars Afghan: Princess Leia, Obi-Wan Kenobi, Yoda, Finn, Rey, Poe, Han Solo,Darth Vader, BB8,Luke Skywalker
Squirrel

Post by Squirrel »

:applesauce: :mexicanwave: That is awesome Leroy and so beautiful. You must have a very steady hand and a lot of patience. Thank you so much for sharing this beautiful piece of art work with us. :dance: :dance:
Sally in Brisbane Australia

WIPS
Christmas Stocking from World of Cross Stitching mag. 262
Mystonique

Post by Mystonique »

You do very good work by the looks. Very impressive - it looks amazing. They ought be very pleased.
Myst..
Oriettait

Post by Oriettait »

wow, great project! the result is fantastic, they must be very happy with it :applesauce: :applesauce:
--
Leave nothing on the beach except footprints
:wip:
HAED World Travel Bookshelf
HAED Tree frog
HAED QS Ladybug
HAED Dragon Rip
Instagram @oriettait
Leroy_B

Post by Leroy_B »

Thank you all for the kind compliments. Thought it would have been tough since it has been awhile since the last time I worked on glass. Hard to believe 20 years later and less equipped losing a lot of after a divorce 8 years ago. Have found that anything involved with art related there's a ton of patience working it and watching it all come together. I enjoyed working on this one, something about the Old English style of lettering and the banners. Many a times along the roadside mirrors and glass thrown out and passed by since there was no need. Images for scroll saw patterns make for good etching templates. There's many possibilities available. Imagine the stash acquired on this hobby, sand media, mirrors and glass. This just unleashed another hobby back into the repertoire on a long list. Always staying busy, don't we people?
I've become a familiar face with the motorcycle club with events they have on Saturday nights at their club house. They have a nice bar, pool table, card game tables, a buffet, good music, great people to converse with. They're having a St. Patrick's Day party on March 15, Saturday and I've been invited for corn beef and cabbage dinner. The unveiling will be that night. Sometimes one thing can lead to another......more work as a result of one piece done or sandblasting motorcycle frames. Looking forward to a good night, I could use it.
Leroy
Serinde

Post by Serinde »

Well, that's really something special, and I hope that it does open unexpected doors for you. (Tho' you're welcome to enjoy the corned beef and cabbage... ) :shamrock:

Wouldn't it be wonderful to have a virtual piece for over the bar at the Stash & Grab... :whistle:
stitch addicted

Post by stitch addicted »

Wow!! That's just amazing.
Ainjel333

Post by Ainjel333 »

Wow Leroy! That looks like a lot of work, and it turned out absolutely stunning! Great job! I've seen those types of mirrors, but never knew how they were made. This one is gorgeous! :applesauce:
starshine123102

Post by starshine123102 »

WOW! Fantastic job, it came out wonderfully! I can't imagine the amount of work that went into it, so meticulous and no room for error. Very impressive!!! :applesauce: :applesauce: :applesauce:
Michelle
:ratherbe:

2016 FINISHES:
All Hallows Eve (Glendon Place)
Delightful Fruits - Grapes (CSN 3/2013)
Delightful Fruits - Apples
Delightful Fruits - Berries (CSN 5/2013)
Delightful Fruits - Pears

2017 WIP:
Christmas House
karen4bells

Post by karen4bells »

Serinde wrote:Well, that's really something special, and I hope that it does open unexpected doors for you. (Tho' you're welcome to enjoy the corned beef and cabbage... ) :shamrock:

Wouldn't it be wonderful to have a virtual piece for over the bar at the Stash & Grab... :whistle:
:D I totally agree with Serinde!!! Very nice!!!
Work in Progress
Dimensions Passion Flower Angel
Tempting Tangles Welcome SAL
Various small designs

Nimble stitch

Post by Nimble stitch »

Well done you have a real talent, thank you for sharing :applesauce: :applesauce:
Karen

Work in Progress
Dress Makers Daughter - Nora Corbett
Best of British Street Party - Sandy Littlejohns & Deborah Lester
Santa's Sleigh (Christmas Eve Couriers) - Nora Corbett

Completed
Santa - Mirabillia
Kezzy

Post by Kezzy »

Wow, I love it - you're very talented :dance:
2014 Finishes:
Wedding Sampler
Sepia German Shepherd

WIPs:
Castles in the Air - Parts 1-3 finished
Welsh Alphabet Sampler

Future Projects:
Hardanger Wedding Sampler
coolpenguin

Post by coolpenguin »

Thank you very much for sharing this. I really enjoyed the step-by-steph photos. You do great work!

My wife and I were at the beach during our honeymoon and it happened to be Bike Week. I've never been around so many gentlemen in my entire life!
WIP's
various mini's
OCEAN ABC

Finished in 2017
See my Stitch a Long
gparr

Post by gparr »

Applause! Applause!! Terrific result and interesting to see the process. Thanks for sharing.
Gary