Best sewing machine?

Moderators: rcperryls, Rose, karen4bells, Serinde, Alex

bookknurd

Best sewing machine?

Post by bookknurd »

I am considering purchasing a sewing machine (or asking for one for my birthday that's coming up). I would like a machine that's good for quilting and general projects, really just something that is very versatile.

I know we have some sewers on the boards, so I was wondering which sewing machine brand and/or model you use or recommend. I am a beginner sewer but I'm not afraid of a slightly more complicated machine if it means it will be more useful in the long run.

I would like a truly high quality machine, not necessarily the one with the most bells and whistles.

Don't worry about price, I just want to hear any suggestions you have.

Thanks!
**Signature Under Construction**
(will update soon with current WIPs and other info :dance: )
bookknurd

Re: Best sewing machine?

Post by bookknurd »

I just realized I put this in the competition section. I thought I was in the other crafts section!

Can a moderator move it, please? :)
**Signature Under Construction**
(will update soon with current WIPs and other info :dance: )
mags

Post by mags »

I have recently got a Pfaff Ambition 1.5. Haven't done a lot yet - just zigzagging edges, playing with some of the stitches and have made an apron. Seems very nice so far. I want to try some patchwork and quilting.
mags

WIPs:
Heritage Tower Bridge (yes still :roll: )
various bits and bobs
perftangel

Post by perftangel »

My mom (who does LOTS of sewing) has a Pfaff from the 80s(?) that she loves. I have a singer from the 60s that works pretty well too (it was free). I think if you can find an older workhorse and then get it serviced by a sewing shop, it'll last you long and it'll be fancier than what you could buy new.

Just my 2 cents and I don't know a lot about it, but that's what I've gather from my mom over the years. :)
NeedleAndFork

Post by NeedleAndFork »

This is what I have: http://www.amazon.com/Shark-Intelli-Sew ... B0002TUVN0" target="_blank

I lucked out and managed to pick it up on clearance at Target for $75 several years ago when I was there on a scouting mission to see what was available to go home and research which was the best option. When I saw a $300 machine on clearance I knew I had to snag it right away because I had been eyeing machines in the $100 range and wouldn't have even considered this one.

I don't know if it is still available or not, but if it is, I highly recommend it, despite its mixed reviews. I've owned it for about 7 years now and put it through its paces and other than the occasional snarl of thread (usually because I was sloppy with threading it) it hasn't let me down once.
My blog: Obsessed With Thread

My WIPs: Kimono Lantern Mermaid, Rovaris Alphabet Sampler Christmas Ornaments

Participant of: Ornament a Month SAL, Stitch from Stash Challenge
MaggieM1750

Post by MaggieM1750 »

I wouldn't say its the best.. but I have nothing to compare it against. Its the only one I've ever used, apart from the one I used in 8th grade sewing class.

I just became the owner of a Singer Futura model 2680/ 2690? something.
Its a few years old, a hand me down from my aunt who was moving and getting rid of things so she wouldn't have to ship them. Upon doing web searches, it doesn't look like its currently available. I think it originally came from Target- not a sewing store.
This is my first sewing machine and I've only had it since mid January- so I am very much still in the "lets see what this stitch does" mode.

My model comes with about 30 different stitches. But I find it difficult to select stitches in a row other than the default. I have the book, and to select the alternate row of stitch types, there are about 5 steps I have to check- which foot, stitch style, adjust stitch length, alternate row 1/2 select, feed dogs up or down.. its a lot of things to adjust.

It does have the needle threader- which makes my mother jealous with her 50 yr old workhorse machines.
But.. in the month I've had this. I'm not so sure the alternate stitches work properly. (But I have not ruled out user error.. as I clearly admit I have no idea what I am doing) The only stitch I am really concerned with is the overlock edge so I can sew an edge on stitch fabrics- instead of either doing nothing- or taping. But I can't get that stitch to work- I end up with a jumble of knotted thread. Otherwise, I've only used the straight and zig zag stitches for the projects I've done so far.

My sister has a Brother. I'll be visiting her over the summer and I am sure I will do some sort of sewing project while I am there.
NeedleAndFork

Post by NeedleAndFork »

MaggieM1750 wrote:The only stitch I am really concerned with is the overlock edge so I can sew an edge on stitch fabrics- instead of either doing nothing- or taping. But I can't get that stitch to work- I end up with a jumble of knotted thread.
My machine gets the occasional snarl when I try to use that too - I also attribute it to user error as I taught myself to sew mostly by saying 'I wonder what this does..' I've found that using a wide zigzag stitch is much easier and it works fine. Just position the fabric so that the edge is where the right size of the zigzag would be and stitch. I've never gotten a tangle doing this and it's super fast.

marniecat

Post by marniecat »

I have the Singer160. I love it, but I have nothing to compare it to and I know a lot of people say to avoid the newer singers because of plastic parts.
One thing I would advise looking for that I regret not looking for, is a machine that you can set to a "needle down" position. This is good for quilting and my machine will only end in the needle up position.
Mystonique

Post by Mystonique »

A lot comes down to the factory it comes out off too - so ring your local repair/service centre and ask them what they see least of and what's built best 8}

Mum is a seamstress and she says any machine (other than an overlocker) will struggle with edging but having said that she refuses flatly to buy a new machine to replace her 30 year old Elna because she says nothing comes close to the quality and the only thing the new ones do that hers doesn't is computer embroidery. She does look every so often but always walks away in disgust.

I also have a 30 year old Elna and love it.
Myst..
MaggieM1750

Post by MaggieM1750 »

NeedleAndFork wrote:…I've found that using a wide zigzag stitch is much easier and it works fine. Just position the fabric so that the edge is where the right size of the zigzag would be and stitch. I've never gotten a tangle doing this and it's super fast.

oooh- good to know. Thanks!
curly sue

Post by curly sue »

I have a Janome that is about 12 years old. It is a mechanical model and I am very pleased with it.
NeedleAndFork

Post by NeedleAndFork »

Mystonique wrote: I also have a 30 year old Elna and love it.
My mom had one of those when I was a kid, along with every accessory known to god for it.. it's very possibly the same one you have, given its age. When I was shopping for my first machine after I graduated collegei n 2000, I saw a USED one exactly like hers for $500! I wish I had the $ to buy it then, but no such luck. My mom promised me she'd give me hers since she no longer used it but then ended up selling it when she moved. UGH!
MaggieM1750 wrote:
NeedleAndFork wrote:…I've found that using a wide zigzag stitch is much easier and it works fine. Just position the fabric so that the edge is where the right size of the zigzag would be and stitch. I've never gotten a tangle doing this and it's super fast.

oooh- good to know. Thanks!
I meant to include a pic in the last post and then got side tracked while looking for it. You can see how the edges look zigzagged here - just click any of the images to see them full sized.

Rose

Post by Rose »

I have been stitching since I was about 8. All of the machines I used were Singers. At that time they were well made and most of the repair shops could easily find any part that was needed. The newer models are garbage. They do not last and no one wants to work on them. The last one I bought was a pile. So then I did some research and asked some of the sewing shops and found that Janome is a top rated machine and they have great service record. I have had this machine for many years now and I do all sorts of sewing with it. I is just great. I would recommend this company.

If I could get my MIL's old Singer fixed I would use it. The machine is one like what I learned to sew on. I have talked to many different repair shops since we inherited the machine and they all say it can not be fixed but they would love to take it off my hands. They offer a good price to buy it but that is not what I want I want it fixed. Someday I hope to find some one who will repair it for me.
If you are looking for some one to help change you, look in the mirror
Mystonique

Post by Mystonique »

Rose wrote: They offer a good price to buy it but that is not what I want I want it fixed. Someday I hope to find some one who will repair it for me.
One has to wonder why they would want to buy it if they can't fix it ...

I once got told by a mechanic that my car was a write off mechanically. One of his employees bought it from me for a paddock basher (ie use it till it drops) - then the RTA contacted me because he was trying to register it - his explanation was that the labour to fix it cost far more than the car was worth which is why it was a write off ... but ahem that really depends on who is valuing it. Had I known it could be fixed I would probably have taken that option even if it was a bit expensive.
Myst..
DahliaDoll

Post by DahliaDoll »

I also have a Pfaff (2056) and love it. The feature I like best and wouldn't want to be without for quilting is the IDT (integrated dual transportation). It's basically a "walking foot" feature that is integrated so that it works with most of the feet. The feet it doesn't work with don't need it (like the darning foot). So it feeds the top and bottom fabrics at the same speed rather than pushing on the top fabric.
My Blog: Crafting is My Busy-Ness

乁( •_• )ㄏ
PrincessMercia

Post by PrincessMercia »

According to me , best sewing machine is of brand Singer 7258 .. It is stylist award-winning 100-Stitch Computerized Sewing Machine
Last edited by PrincessMercia on Sat Nov 12, 2016 5:28 am, edited 4 times in total.
Allyn

Post by Allyn »

My mother and I have always had Singer machines (my grandmother worked for Singer, so employee discounts galore) but the machines we have are really old, back when the machines were made in the US and had metal gears. Now that Singer isn't Singer anymore and the machines and machine parts are made in China, I don't feel like they're nearly as sturdy and they won't be as durable -- but that's the point, isn't it? If you buy a machine and it lasts forevert, you never buy another one and you hand it down so your daughter doesn't buy one either. There's no money in that for the manufacturer. I have no idea if Singer machines are more or less durable than their competition nowadays. Singer is still one of the leading brands.

I don't know if you can access this article without an account, but give it a try. It's the Consumer Reports article on sewing machines:
http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/sewi ... -guide.htm" target="_blank

WIP
PrincessMercia

Post by PrincessMercia »

Brother SE400 is a combinational computerized sewing machine with 4x4 Embroidery Machine With 67 Built-in Stitches, 70 Built-in Designs, 5 Lettering Fonts.. Its best among all.. I have come to know about this machine from following website .. Its really amazing in getting ideas http://www.wordsiseek.com/sewing-machines/" target="_blank