Socky socks! - Updated 3/10/15

Moderators: rcperryls, Rose, karen4bells, Serinde, Alex

NeedleAndFork

Socky socks! - Updated 3/10/15

Post by NeedleAndFork »

It's been absolutely ages since I knit anything, but I'm finally feeling motivated again.. so I've wound up a ball of yarn, picked out a pattern, and I'm raring to go!

Here's the pattern I'm planning on knitting...

And the yarn (which the photo absolutely does not do justice to)..

Off I go to cast on!
Last edited by NeedleAndFork on Tue Mar 10, 2015 8:07 am, edited 2 times in total.
My blog: Obsessed With Thread

My WIPs: Kimono Lantern Mermaid, Rovaris Alphabet Sampler Christmas Ornaments

Participant of: Ornament a Month SAL, Stitch from Stash Challenge
karen4bells

Re: Socky socks!

Post by karen4bells »

How cute are those---would make great slippers too!!! Where is the pattern from??
Work in Progress
Dimensions Passion Flower Angel
Tempting Tangles Welcome SAL
Various small designs

NeedleAndFork

Post by NeedleAndFork »

karen4bells wrote:How cute are those---would make great slippers too!!! Where is the pattern from??
It's a free pattern!! You can get it from here

I'm discovering that knitting uses completely different finger muscles than cross stitch does.. and this pattern's giving them quite a workout! Nevermind that the start of them is as fiddly as all get out - I'm making finger pretzels as I try to work that toe. But the toe is sooo pretty, with the pattern going all the way to the edge, it'll be worth it.

calico

Post by calico »

My goodness those look so intricate to knit! I tried knitting socks once (bought a book) but found it difficult to do. Sometimes when I revisit something it's easier the second time round so I may have to do that someday. I had better luck crocheting slippers but they don't have the same look.
These are gorgeous and I hope you share pics of your progress...
Calico

WIPs:
Glory of Autumn
Orchids & Hummingbird
Santa's Feathered Friend
Eagle's Majesty
Feasting Frenzy
Chickadees on a branch
Autumn Owl Trio - HAED

My Blog
My Flickr
My YouTube Channel
fccs

Post by fccs »

Oh, those socks are so cool! I love socks...I've crocheted socks before...but really they were slippers and I just wore them around the house until I wore them out. I've tried knitting but it just seems to take so much attention. :-)
Debby

(main) WIPs
Angel of Love
Book of Mythical Creatures
Cache la Poudre
Past Present Forever
Fishing Friends
NeedleAndFork

Post by NeedleAndFork »

calico wrote:My goodness those look so intricate to knit! I tried knitting socks once (bought a book) but found it difficult to do. Sometimes when I revisit something it's easier the second time round so I may have to do that someday. I had better luck crocheting slippers but they don't have the same look.
These are gorgeous and I hope you share pics of your progress...
Give it another try! In fact, here's my recommendation for the best pattern for new sock knitters..

http://www.knitty.com/ISSUEwinter02/PATTfuzzyfeet.html" target="_blank

You essentially knit a really big sock out of thick yarn, and then deliberately shrink it in the washing machine. I've used this pattern to teach several people to make socks because it is extremely forgiving - as long as you get the basic shape down, any mistakes disappear in the wash when you felt them. Once you learn how to knit the basic parts of a sock (cuff, heel, toe) then most sock patterns are essentially the same thing, but with stitch patterns thrown in to dress them up.

Just make sure that you use yarn that is 100% wool and that is NOT marked as superwash, as superwash yarn has been treated to be safe to machine wash and it won't shrink/felt. I like Patons Classic Merino - it's fairly cheap at about 6 bucks a ball and you can get it at joanns or micheals.

DahliaDoll

Post by DahliaDoll »

That's really a beautiful pattern. I have knit socks, and I can do magic loop, but I certainly don't have the skills to complete that pattern. I hope you will keep us updated on your progress.
My Blog: Crafting is My Busy-Ness

乁( •_• )ㄏ
Oriettait

Post by Oriettait »

That looks like an amazing pattern, will be looking forward to see your update
--
Leave nothing on the beach except footprints
:wip:
HAED World Travel Bookshelf
HAED Tree frog
HAED QS Ladybug
HAED Dragon Rip
Instagram @oriettait
NeedleAndFork

Post by NeedleAndFork »

I decided to try to get a better picture of the color of the yarn since the first shot I took really sucked. So here's what an evening of knitting and trying to make sense of the pattern got me..

The color is MUCH more accurate in this picture. And I am very happy with the pairing of yarn and pattern. There's just enough variation in the yarn to be interesting and not be flat, but it isn't too busy to obscure the pattern. I just love semi-solid kettle dyes for patterns like this.

One of these days I'm going to have to try this method of dyeing on floss too!

stitch addicted

Post by stitch addicted »

Wow! Just beautiful.
rcperryls

Post by rcperryls »

:applesauce: :applesauce: Those socks look great! My feet would be very happy wearing them (one of my GDs used to talk about how pretty shoes and\or socks would make her feet happy).

Carole
:dance:
WIPs
Star Wars Afghan:Chewbaca
HAEDs:
O Kitten Tree
Dancing with the Cat
Everything else "on hold"
2022 Finished: Star Wars Afghan: Princess Leia, Obi-Wan Kenobi, Yoda, Finn, Rey, Poe, Han Solo,Darth Vader, BB8,Luke Skywalker
starshine123102

Post by starshine123102 »

WOW those look incredible! :applesauce: :applesauce: :applesauce:

Thank you again for all your wonderful advice getting me through my first pair of socks, I'm very happy with them!
Michelle
:ratherbe:

2016 FINISHES:
All Hallows Eve (Glendon Place)
Delightful Fruits - Grapes (CSN 3/2013)
Delightful Fruits - Apples
Delightful Fruits - Berries (CSN 5/2013)
Delightful Fruits - Pears

2017 WIP:
Christmas House
DahliaDoll

Post by DahliaDoll »

Wow! I wish I could some and knit beside you and have you teach me how to do that!
My Blog: Crafting is My Busy-Ness

乁( •_• )ㄏ
calico

Post by calico »

Oh cool! Thanks for the link to the beginner socks, those look like fun to make and I wanted to try felting too :dance:

Your socks look awesome so far!!! Great yarn! What is that wooden form you have them on?
Calico

WIPs:
Glory of Autumn
Orchids & Hummingbird
Santa's Feathered Friend
Eagle's Majesty
Feasting Frenzy
Chickadees on a branch
Autumn Owl Trio - HAED

My Blog
My Flickr
My YouTube Channel
NeedleAndFork

Post by NeedleAndFork »

calico wrote: Your socks look awesome so far!!! Great yarn! What is that wooden form you have them on?
They're a pair of cedar sock blockers. The etsy seller I got them from doesn't seem to make them any more, but I have a pair that look like this with a leather cord attaching them to each other.

Most knitting needs to be blocked after it is done to be properly finished so after I finish a pair of socks, I soak them in warm water, wrap in a towel and squeeze out as much water as I can and then slip them onto the blockers to finish drying. This smooths out the knitting and evens it out, making lace and cables lay more evenly. You can make a pair out of just about anything, wire coat hangers shaped into a sock with the hanger part at the top of the leg work really well, but I just love these. When they're not in use, they hang in my closet by all my woolens. And they're great to photograph socks on!
DahliaDoll wrote:Wow! I wish I could some and knit beside you and have you teach me how to do that!
You can do it! It's mostly twisted stitches and a couple of different double increases and double decreases, none of which are difficult on their own, just fiddly when they're all crammed in together but that's what makes the pretty pattern. The pattern's a freebie, so you can snag it and give it a try - In fact, if you want to play with it, I'd suggest ignoring the actual sock part of the pattern, and giving the chart a try using maybe a smooth sport or DK weight yarn so you can see what's going on and do a couple of repeats of the chart pattern to get the hang of it. Then you can start the socks with the pattern in them! I've done that quite a bit when faced with a pattern within an item that I know will challenge me - I work the kinks out in a swatch first so that I don't have to tink and start over on the actual item. As much as I hate swatching, I know it's an absolute necessity in knitting to get things to fit right and look good.
starshine123102 wrote:WOW those look incredible! :applesauce: :applesauce: :applesauce:

Thank you again for all your wonderful advice getting me through my first pair of socks, I'm very happy with them!
You're very welcome. And your socks look fantastic too! Did you ever find yarn for a pair for yourself?
rcperryls wrote::applesauce: :applesauce: Those socks look great! My feet would be very happy wearing them (one of my GDs used to talk about how pretty shoes and\or socks would make her feet happy).
:dance:
I'm not that much of a shoe person.. give me a comfy pair of boots, a pair of sneakers and some sandals and I'm good in the shoe department. But I love love love my socks. Even before I was a sock knitter I used to buy all kinds of wild socks. Learning to knit them just added to the addiction. It makes me all kinds of happy to have colorful wool socks in all kinds of patterns on my feet, whether they're visible or not. Except in the hottest part of summer, all I wear are hand knit socks.

NeedleAndFork

Post by NeedleAndFork »

Update time! I've not been knitting on these nearly as much as I hoped to over the last week, and the pattern isn't as easy to memorize as I'd hoped it would be so I'm making slow progress. That said, I absolutely love this pattern..

I'm going to make more of an effort to memorize the pattern so that I can work more fluidly at these. I think in part it's because I don't love the way the designer has charted the pattern, so I'm considering recharting it myself in a way that makes more sense to me.
Last edited by NeedleAndFork on Sat Feb 15, 2014 5:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

littleturtlegirl

Re: Socky socks! - New pics 2/14!

Post by littleturtlegirl »

They look amazing!!!!
karen4bells

Post by karen4bells »

:applesauce: :applesauce: :applesauce: Very pretty!!! Such an intricate design!! :wub:
Work in Progress
Dimensions Passion Flower Angel
Tempting Tangles Welcome SAL
Various small designs

Mabel Figworthy

Post by Mabel Figworthy »

Whata gorgeous pattern, and the colour is jewel-like!
Visit Mabel's Fancies at www.mabelfigworthy.co.uk
WIPs
Elizabethan Beauty, RSN Certificate & Online
Waiting
Soli Deo Gloria, Mechthild, bling unicorn, goldwork & silk shading kits

Flights of Fancy (blog)
Mabel's FB page
Sarah Gixxer

Post by Sarah Gixxer »

Beautiful work! I am a knitter myself although I'm sorry to say it's a few years since I knitted anything. This is a lovely pattern and I love the wool you chose.
CURRENT WIPs
HAEDs - Bubble Telescope, Floatilla, Rainbow Embrace, Ray of Light, Iron Dragon, Newport Lighthouse
Fractal 239 Aero Chocolate