My charity project

Moderators: rcperryls, Rose, karen4bells, Serinde, Alex

Angel

My charity project

Post by Angel »

As some of you know, for our 1 year anniversary my husband and I went to Glastonbury for a handfasting ceremony on the tor. It was a beautiful ceremony at sunset! Afterwards we tagged on a trip to London so that we could see the Pompeii exhibit in the London Museum. On our last day we sat around feeding the clever little squirrells and having a lovely free day, but it sure was hungry work so we went to KFC for dinner before we caught the coach home.

Well I let Chris order the food while I stayed with the suitcase securing a table. I told him to get a bargain bucket, but didn't specify a size. He got the biggest one and we couldn't eat it all, so we packed the leftovers (easily enough for a whole meal, no half eaten bits or anything yucky like that. Two or three pieces of chicken, a side, two bags of chips...) and gave them to the first homeless man we encountered.

He was SO grateful! He thanked us, we were in a rush, so we smiled politely at him and left, but I turned around to find him almost in tears eating the food we'd given him. I was shocked. Simply shocked. Homeless means something different locally, Chris was homeless before we met and what that meant is he lived in a shelter. Sure it turfed him out during the day, but he returned every night and he was ok. He had food, shelter, clean clothes...but this man in London was starving and it broke my heart. I literally cried all the way to the coach station.
Apparently there aren't enough shelters in London for the homeless and they end up getting lost and abandoned by the system.

I can't feed them all, but I came up with a plan. We're returning over Christmas, so we're putting together Christmas presents. Boxs with a pair of hand knit mittens, a high density food (probably home made flapjack), some basic toiletries (soap, flannel, toothbrush, toothpaste) and some treats for the dogs. I've currently got three completed mitts, one knit pair that needs seaming and one on the needles. I aim to have 25.

These I've made specifically for females. I'm only making five female specific pairs.

This one is a unisex one, I'm making more of these as apparently men outnumber women on the streets.
bookknurd

Re: My charity project

Post by bookknurd »

What a lovely thing you are doing!
**Signature Under Construction**
(will update soon with current WIPs and other info :dance: )
karen4bells

Post by karen4bells »

:hug: :stars: Angel, you truly are living up to your nickname, because what you are doing is simply amazing!!! What a heart of gold you have!!! :wub:
Work in Progress
Dimensions Passion Flower Angel
Tempting Tangles Welcome SAL
Various small designs

rcperryls

Post by rcperryls »

karen4bells wrote::hug: :stars: Angel, you truly are living up to your nickname, because what you are doing is simply amazing!!! What a heart of gold you have!!! :wub:
I agree completely! There will be many grateful warm hands and hearts I am sure after Christmas. I would guess many of them haven't seen a Christmas present in years.

Carole
:wub:
WIPs
Star Wars Afghan:Chewbaca
HAEDs:
O Kitten Tree
Dancing with the Cat
Everything else "on hold"
2022 Finished: Star Wars Afghan: Princess Leia, Obi-Wan Kenobi, Yoda, Finn, Rey, Poe, Han Solo,Darth Vader, BB8,Luke Skywalker
Angel

Post by Angel »

my nickname is bleeding heart? :lol:

I imagine they haven't had a present in a long time. Most of them probably haven't even had a kind word in a long time, London isn't a very friendly place to the average person, let alone to these people who are either ignored or abused. You know, I once heard a story that took place in London, people swear it's true and having been there and seen how the homeless are treated, I'm inclined to believe it.

A homeless man used to sleep infront of one of the shops, and of course he was ignored, he got smellier and smellier until someone decided to "have a word" which resulted in the poor man being kicked quite hard in his ribs. No movement, eventually the irate man pulled the sleeping bag down from over the mans head to reveal a rotting corpse. No one had noticed this mans death, he'd passed away weeks ago! No one knows how long because no one bothered to follow it up, but it was during the winter and the snow could have slowed decomposition down, so it could have been over a month without anybody caring! :cry: :bandaid:

Some warm hands (I settled for fingerless mittens because we're going down in December and they'll probably already have gloves, fingerless mittens can be worn separately or over the top of gloves), some dense food to get them through at least a little bit of hunger, and some toiletries because they get used up and if they don't have any money they don't get replaced, so stuff that they can use in the public facilities. More importantly though, they'll get someone who cares, who will stop and talk to them and who has been thinking about them. To some people that's more than any item, especially when the people paid to care don't care about them.

I'm not allowed to sign it Angel though :P Chris says that could come off the wrong way :P
karen4bells

Post by karen4bells »

Oh my, you are definitely special Angel!! As for signing it Angel, Chris does have a point! I am sure these gifts will mean much more than you will imagine, and I just wish there were more people like you in the world!! It's great to see such compassion in someone your age!!! Thank you!!! :hug:
Work in Progress
Dimensions Passion Flower Angel
Tempting Tangles Welcome SAL
Various small designs

Angel

Post by Angel »

I think I'll Sign it in Enochian, like my stitching signature.
fccs

Post by fccs »

You are such a kind, giving person. Bless you.
Debby

(main) WIPs
Angel of Love
Book of Mythical Creatures
Cache la Poudre
Past Present Forever
Fishing Friends
Oriettait

Post by Oriettait »

That is a wonderful thing you are doing Angel! :applesauce:
--
Leave nothing on the beach except footprints
:wip:
HAED World Travel Bookshelf
HAED Tree frog
HAED QS Ladybug
HAED Dragon Rip
Instagram @oriettait
Mystonique

Post by Mystonique »

What a lovely thing to do.

Just so you aren't shocked (this really knocked me for a six first time I got involved with helping homeless people) be prepared for less than happy receptions from some - many homeless people suffer from severe mental health problems and some homed people resent you helping the homeless because apparently it encourages them ... not quite sure how a warm blanket or food encourages someone to be homeless but anyway.

I'm so excited about what you are doing :dance: it's simply wonderful. :king:
Myst..
Athalie

Post by Athalie »

What a wonderfully giving person you are. I wish more people were as understanding as you. I was sitting in a park in Sydney several years ago and started talking to the person sharing the seat with me. Turns out she was homeless, had been a business woman and lost everything after her partner took her for everything, home, business, etc. What upset me most was the fact that she told me I was the first person she had had a conversation with in several weeks. I was only on a visit to Sydney so there wasn't much I could do. I tried to give her a little money but wasn't surprised when she refused but I did arrange for the friend I was staying with to look for her and get some warm clothes to her. I've never been able to get that lady out of my mind. I'm always glad to give contributions to collections for the homeless, there but for the Grace of God, etc.
Angel

Post by Angel »

"It encourages them....to beg"
I've never met anyone ignorant enough to say it encourages them to be homeless, everyone who's ever used it around me has been referring to begging, or, as they put it...the "Something for nothing attitude". :roll:

The average person is only ever 2 paychecks away from being homeless. Which is a scary thought. Hopefully, the fact that she didn't take the money means that she's managed to get herself into one of the shelters.
carladee

Post by carladee »

I think what you're doing is amazing, I'd quite happily donate some bits and bobs for your parcels so feel free to pm me.
*~Carla~*

my blog
my Etsy shop

Currently Stitching - HAED - Hmpf!, Mario Sampler, Chatelaine - Deep Blue Sea, Song of the Weather SAL, Woodland Sampler SAL, L&L - Angel of Summer, Summer Tree of Stitches
Angel

Post by Angel »

Aww thank you
stitch addicted

Post by stitch addicted »

Very sweet.
emc

Post by emc »

What a really nice thing to do! Karma will be good to you!

I am from the Midwest (USA) and have returned to the Midwest, but for 4-years I lived in the LA/Long Beach area in CA. There were so many homeless people it was mind boggling to a midwesterner, and I soon learned I couldn't save the world.

A friend told me what he has done for years. Now this might not sound like much, but if 1,000's did it, it could make a difference to a community. Well, a common problem is that you don't know if a person asking for help really needs it, or is going to go around the corner and buy a drink. So, what my friend did every day was carried a roll of quarters with him. He didn't judge anyone, but if someone asked for "spare change" he gave each one a quarter. If he gave a person the 25-cent and they were able to build it to buy-a-drink, he didn't care because he KNEW someone who needed a meal would also "build it" to buy a meal, or maybe a room, a place to wash their clothes to apply for work, etc.

I never left home without a pocketbook full of quarters.