Pillow Sham "VSF" [Finished]

Please feel free to join in on our SAL

Moderators: rcperryls, Rose, karen4bells, Serinde

User avatar
CuriousKitty
Posts: 741
Joined: Mon Sep 12, 2011 4:55 am
Location: Marysville, Washington

Pillow Sham "VSF" [Finished]

Post by CuriousKitty »

So this project is a baby pillow for a newborn. His initials are "VSF" and I plan to have this cute dolphin and whale design with each letter going in a diagonal across the pillow.

Pattern: https://www.etsy.com/listing/546177058/ ... phabet-pdf" target="_blank" target="_blank
18ct Anne Cloth Pillow Sham: https://store.stoneycreek.com/prefinish ... 28232.aspx" target="_blank" target="_blank
-----(does not come with pattern)
9" Pillow Insert: https://store.stoneycreek.com/pine-moun ... 12605.aspx" target="_blank" target="_blank

This part is copied over from my "omg what do I do" thread on the General page:
So I've encountered my first roadblock which means possibly lots of hand holding the fabric rather than a proper Q-Snap or hoop. So, by "pre-finished" they really mean pre-finished. In other words, if you don't know what a pillow sham is, it goes over a pillow (okay obvious so... what's the problem?). A pillow sham's back side has overlapping fabric to hold the pillow inside. One half of the fabric will cover say, 50% width, and the other half below (or on top, your pick) will cover 75% width going the opposite direction.

So this means I get to hold the flaps open while I stitch which means... two handed stitching. Not my favorite. It is just loose enough in-between the two layers (where the pillow would reside) that I can almost slide the needle in and out on one side, but honestly that might actually make me go even slower stitching over 1.

First impressions:

1) It's a bit smaller than I envisioned. Okay, well bright side, it's for a baby, so a small pillow makes sense.
2) The 9" pillow Stoney Creek recommends to come with it is... flatter than I expected. Since the edges are machine finished, I'm not comfortable ripping it open and stuffing it a little extra for that tight poof.
3) Happily, the yellow backing fabric is no where near the eye sore I feared it would be.
4) The piping is really clean. A good bonus to me.

I'm currently counting out to make sure I have 90x90, as you see from the pins, I'm only 30 in (I keep getting distracted). Also, enjoy my adorable hedgehog pincushion that I spent way too much money on when my tomato broke and leaked everywhere. I had so many pins I got fancy.
Image

First "hmm" moment. The listing says it's a 5x5" stitching area. As you see, it's slightly less. However, measuring the opposite direction did yield almost exactly 5", if not slightly more by a row. I'm sure I can work with a row or two off.
Image

Bright and sunny, but not an eyesore. Most westerners would say the flower is probably a hibiscus (one could claim the middle is a stamen). However, after months of staring and comparing kimono flowers and stylized patterns to determine seasonality (I practice kitsuke (the art of dressing in kimono)), to me it really appears to be a Sakura flower (5 petals, has a divet in the middle). But It's not really one or the other, so who cares? I thought it was more of a joke on myself that I've been staring at kimono so much that my mind automatically compares it to their selection of flowers.
Image

Pillow is a bit flat as I've mentioned. I've also had to trim the finishing off the edges- all four corners had thread dangling. I fray-checked all four corners. Listing claims it's muslin. I'm sort of fabric deaf, so I couldn't really say one way or the other.
Image
Image

After careful counting, I'm happy to say it's exactly 90x90 despite the seemingly 1/8th of an inch off set.
Image
Last edited by CuriousKitty on Fri Apr 12, 2019 6:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar
Serinde
Posts: 19554
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2006 5:46 pm
Location: Scotland

Re: Pillow Sham "VSF"

Post by Serinde »

I'll just say right up front: I'm in awe of the final shot of the pins (oh, and love the hog, btw).
What a lot of interesting information. As this is for an infant, I don't see the flatness of the pillow a bad thing at all. It'll do the necessary, like propping Small Person up in his/her pram when older and such. That's even presuming that Parental Unit allows what will be gorgeous to even be USED!! :lol: Oh, and I like that bright yellow backing. You have the summer sun to make it look perfect.
User avatar
rcperryls
Posts: 32992
Joined: Tue Mar 22, 2011 1:36 pm
Location: SC, USA

Re: Pillow Sham "VSF"

Post by rcperryls »

This looks like an adventure. For some reason, I would have thought that the backing would either have been separate or attached in a way that you could stitch normally though I can't picture how that would be. Are there instructions or hints with it? What you describe will work, I'm sure, it will be a bit cumbersome I would imagine, until you develop a rhythm or method that works for you.

Looking forward to seeing your updates!

Carole
:dance:
WIPs
Star Wars Afghan:Chewbaca
HAEDs:
O Kitten Tree
Dancing with the Cat
Everything else "on hold"
2022 Finished: Star Wars Afghan: Princess Leia, Obi-Wan Kenobi, Yoda, Finn, Rey, Poe, Han Solo,Darth Vader, BB8,Luke Skywalker
User avatar
karen4bells
Posts: 21816
Joined: Sat Jan 30, 2010 3:53 pm
Location: Florida

Re: Pillow Sham "VSF"

Post by karen4bells »

I'm with Carole, not sure how I would like stitching on that the way it is already finished off--would make the stitching very tedious. Looks like you have a good start with planning it all out though, and I do look forward to seeing your update on this!!
Work in Progress
Dimensions Passion Flower Angel
Tempting Tangles Welcome SAL
Various small designs


User avatar
CuriousKitty
Posts: 741
Joined: Mon Sep 12, 2011 4:55 am
Location: Marysville, Washington

Re: Pillow Sham "VSF"

Post by CuriousKitty »

Serinde wrote:I'll just say right up front: I'm in awe of the final shot of the pins (oh, and love the hog, btw).
What a lot of interesting information. As this is for an infant, I don't see the flatness of the pillow a bad thing at all. It'll do the necessary, like propping Small Person up in his/her pram when older and such. That's even presuming that Parental Unit allows what will be gorgeous to even be USED!! :lol: Oh, and I like that bright yellow backing. You have the summer sun to make it look perfect.
I'm pretty anal retentive like that. And of course, I'm taking a picture, so of course it has to be pretty!
rcperryls wrote:This looks like an adventure. For some reason, I would have thought that the backing would either have been separate or attached in a way that you could stitch normally though I can't picture how that would be. Are there instructions or hints with it? What you describe will work, I'm sure, it will be a bit cumbersome I would imagine, until you develop a rhythm or method that works for you.

Looking forward to seeing your updates!

Carole
:dance:
Well I mean it did say pre-finished, I guess the completeness of it just didn't occur to me you know? And no, not a single instruction came with it. It just came with a flyer for collecting online exclusive halloween patterns OR stitch one of them free for the next nine months.
karen4bells wrote:I'm with Carole, not sure how I would like stitching on that the way it is already finished off--would make the stitching very tedious. Looks like you have a good start with planning it all out though, and I do look forward to seeing your update on this!!
Me too, I'm positive it will be tedious!
User avatar
Squirrel
Posts: 16821
Joined: Sun Aug 30, 2009 4:33 am
Location: exChristhcurch NZ, now Brisbane, Australia

Re: Pillow Sham "VSF"

Post by Squirrel »

WOW :shock: the prep for this gorgeously cute design is totally amazing. Thanks for sharing all the how to do info.

Incidentally pillows for babies are generally very 'thin` so as to keep the spine straight. :)
Last edited by Squirrel on Mon Apr 01, 2019 1:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
Sally in Brisbane Australia

WIPS
Christmas Stocking from World of Cross Stitching mag. 262
User avatar
CuriousKitty
Posts: 741
Joined: Mon Sep 12, 2011 4:55 am
Location: Marysville, Washington

Re: Pillow Sham "VSF"

Post by CuriousKitty »

Squirrel wrote:WOW :shock: the prep for this gorgeously cute design is totally amazing. Thanks for sharing all the how to do info.

Incidentally pillows for babies are generally very 'thin` so as not to keep the spine straight. :)
See, I'm just not a font of knowledge where babies are concerned, so I feel better about this. Incidentally however, this is not marketed as a baby project. The happy resolution is that I've chosen to use it for such a person that it works in my favor.
User avatar
CuriousKitty
Posts: 741
Joined: Mon Sep 12, 2011 4:55 am
Location: Marysville, Washington

Re: Pillow Sham "VSF"

Post by CuriousKitty »

So as I've joked so often over the years (in self deprecating humor), I'm not exactly stellar with math. Honestly barely passed Trig in high school. But you'd at least think I could find the middle and space them our evenly, right?

:roll: @rotfl: :thinks: :anotherfrog: :anotherfrog: :anotherfrog:

@Carole, so they'll fit, I just have to learn how to count again. You know, maybe repeat Pre-K.

Image
User avatar
Serinde
Posts: 19554
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2006 5:46 pm
Location: Scotland

Re: Pillow Sham "VSF"

Post by Serinde »

You and me. And this is an elegant illustration of why prep can be so vital...! :oops:
User avatar
rcperryls
Posts: 32992
Joined: Tue Mar 22, 2011 1:36 pm
Location: SC, USA

Re: Pillow Sham "VSF"

Post by rcperryls »

Serinde wrote:You and me. And this is an elegant illustration of why prep can be so vital...! :oops:
and me too. My father who expected good grades from his daughters would say "With not much work you should get at least a B, with work an A, and if Carole passes her math classes we'll be very happy"

Carole
:tizzy:
WIPs
Star Wars Afghan:Chewbaca
HAEDs:
O Kitten Tree
Dancing with the Cat
Everything else "on hold"
2022 Finished: Star Wars Afghan: Princess Leia, Obi-Wan Kenobi, Yoda, Finn, Rey, Poe, Han Solo,Darth Vader, BB8,Luke Skywalker
User avatar
Mabel Figworthy
Posts: 34208
Joined: Fri Mar 07, 2008 4:05 pm
Location: Dunchurch, UK
Contact:

Re: Pillow Sham "VSF"

Post by Mabel Figworthy »

Looking forward to following this!
Visit Mabel's Fancies at www.mabelfigworthy.co.uk
WIPs
RSN Certificate & Online, Henry the Harmless Lion
Waiting
Soli Deo Gloria, Mechthild, bling unicorn, goldwork & silk shading kits

Flights of Fancy (blog)
Mabel's FB page
User avatar
CuriousKitty
Posts: 741
Joined: Mon Sep 12, 2011 4:55 am
Location: Marysville, Washington

Re: Pillow Sham "VSF"

Post by CuriousKitty »

rcperryls wrote:
Serinde wrote:You and me. And this is an elegant illustration of why prep can be so vital...! :oops:
and me too. My father who expected good grades from his daughters would say "With not much work you should get at least a B, with work an A, and if Carole passes her math classes we'll be very happy"

Carole
:tizzy:
Mabel Figworthy wrote:Looking forward to following this!
One down! This took me an embarrassing 3 hours and 22 minutes because I had to stitch with both hands and flip it inside out (at least partially) every start and finish. :x

How you end up having to hold it:
Image

One letter done:
Image

Up close:
Image

And you know me, I gotta show my back!
Image
User avatar
rcperryls
Posts: 32992
Joined: Tue Mar 22, 2011 1:36 pm
Location: SC, USA

Re: Pillow Sham "VSF"

Post by rcperryls »

:applesauce: :applesauce: :applesauce: I am very impressed that it only took 3+ hours to stitch. Going to be perfectly adorable! Great progress!!!

Carole
:dance:
WIPs
Star Wars Afghan:Chewbaca
HAEDs:
O Kitten Tree
Dancing with the Cat
Everything else "on hold"
2022 Finished: Star Wars Afghan: Princess Leia, Obi-Wan Kenobi, Yoda, Finn, Rey, Poe, Han Solo,Darth Vader, BB8,Luke Skywalker
User avatar
Mabel Figworthy
Posts: 34208
Joined: Fri Mar 07, 2008 4:05 pm
Location: Dunchurch, UK
Contact:

Re: Pillow Sham "VSF"

Post by Mabel Figworthy »

He's a gorgeous whale! And I know from experience how difficult it is to stitch on anything already sewn up, so I think you did really well to get it done so quickly and neatly!
Visit Mabel's Fancies at www.mabelfigworthy.co.uk
WIPs
RSN Certificate & Online, Henry the Harmless Lion
Waiting
Soli Deo Gloria, Mechthild, bling unicorn, goldwork & silk shading kits

Flights of Fancy (blog)
Mabel's FB page
User avatar
Serinde
Posts: 19554
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2006 5:46 pm
Location: Scotland

Re: Pillow Sham "VSF"

Post by Serinde »

That's going to be terrific! Thar she blows!
User avatar
CuriousKitty
Posts: 741
Joined: Mon Sep 12, 2011 4:55 am
Location: Marysville, Washington

Re: Pillow Sham "VSF"

Post by CuriousKitty »

Started letter F! Unfortunately I have to monkey my way around the sham to make it work. My left arm ends up curled almost in a full 3/4 box shape and my fingers on the same hand are holding the back open. Yikes!

Image

Image
User avatar
Mabel Figworthy
Posts: 34208
Joined: Fri Mar 07, 2008 4:05 pm
Location: Dunchurch, UK
Contact:

Re: Pillow Sham "VSF"

Post by Mabel Figworthy »

Yes, you have to be a bit of a contortionist to stitch this sort of thing :-) - good luck! (And don't strain or twist anything :-) )
Visit Mabel's Fancies at www.mabelfigworthy.co.uk
WIPs
RSN Certificate & Online, Henry the Harmless Lion
Waiting
Soli Deo Gloria, Mechthild, bling unicorn, goldwork & silk shading kits

Flights of Fancy (blog)
Mabel's FB page
User avatar
rcperryls
Posts: 32992
Joined: Tue Mar 22, 2011 1:36 pm
Location: SC, USA

Re: Pillow Sham "VSF"

Post by rcperryls »

Mabel Figworthy wrote:Yes, you have to be a bit of a contortionist to stitch this sort of thing :-) - good luck! (And don't strain or twist anything :-) )
I agree! I am truly impressed by your fortitude with this. I'm not sure I would have stuck with it!

Carole
:dance:
WIPs
Star Wars Afghan:Chewbaca
HAEDs:
O Kitten Tree
Dancing with the Cat
Everything else "on hold"
2022 Finished: Star Wars Afghan: Princess Leia, Obi-Wan Kenobi, Yoda, Finn, Rey, Poe, Han Solo,Darth Vader, BB8,Luke Skywalker
User avatar
poppy
Posts: 2145
Joined: Thu Aug 14, 2008 4:26 pm
Location: Surrey

Re: Pillow Sham "VSF"

Post by poppy »

Great update, Gabrielle. Your stitching (and the back) looks very neat in spite of having to stitch in an awkward way. :applesauce:
Hélène

Finished: Joan Elliott. Rainbow Fairy
Fit Kit by Peter Underhill
The Choir by Peter Underhill
Angel Of The Morning by Lavender & Lace

Best of Friends by Mabel Lucie Attwell
User avatar
karen4bells
Posts: 21816
Joined: Sat Jan 30, 2010 3:53 pm
Location: Florida

Re: Pillow Sham "VSF"

Post by karen4bells »

poppy wrote:Great update, Gabrielle. Your stitching (and the back) looks very neat in spite of having to stitch in an awkward way. :applesauce:
I absolutely agree!! Looks so very pretty!!
Work in Progress
Dimensions Passion Flower Angel
Tempting Tangles Welcome SAL
Various small designs


Post Reply