Mill Hill Quilted Cats

Please feel free to join in on our SAL

Moderators: rcperryls, Rose, karen4bells, Serinde

Kuschelschaf

Mill Hill Quilted Cats

Post by Kuschelschaf »

I started a series of small Mill Hill pieces since I've somehow turned into a cat person :lol:

I've always been a fan of Jim Shore and I've always wanted to try a Mill Hill beaded kit, so this seemed like a perfect match. I haven't stitched on perforated paper before and I'm not sure how I feel about it... I've gotten a fair amount done and don't know if I like how my stitches look. I tried to do the cross stitches with 3 strands like the pattern suggested, but it seemed way too bulky for me and I couldn't use the loop method. :?

That being said, I guess I would like a second opinion on how it looks - my husband thinks it looks fine, I'm on the fence about it. Maybe I should've done the 3 strands anyway or maybe I want to stitch it on aida or evenweave?

Is there a reason why Mill Hill uses perforated paper instead of fabric in virtually (not all) every kit I've seen and does the beadwork work better on paper?

Sorry for all the questions but I'm trying to figure out where I want to take this project before I get too involved. I'm including a thumbnail.
Visit my new blog HERE

2019 finishes:
Mr. Sparkle
The North Wind
Nessie

On permanent hiatus:
Ferret in Sepia
rcperryls

Re: Mill Hill Quilted Cats

Post by rcperryls »

I love love love Jim Shore. Every Christmas for the last 10 years or so, I have received a Jim Shore figurine, usually a cat. I am so looking forward to seeing how your project progresses. I've never done a Mill Hill kit or stitched on paper, but looks like you have a good start :applesauce:

Carole
:dance:
WIPs
Star Wars Afghan:Chewbaca
HAEDs:
O Kitten Tree
Dancing with the Cat
Everything else "on hold"
2022 Finished: Star Wars Afghan: Princess Leia, Obi-Wan Kenobi, Yoda, Finn, Rey, Poe, Han Solo,Darth Vader, BB8,Luke Skywalker
stillmag74

Post by stillmag74 »

Hello!
I have stitched many of the kits from Mill Hill! They are some of my most favorite projects simply because they go so quickly and look so lovely. I hope my perspective can help.
The perforated paper might take a little getting used to, however I found that its firmness helped me to hold the piece better. I'm sorry I can't answer your question as to why they use the paper vs fabric.
The number of strands might seem a bit much at first, but they do work in the end to make your piece come out looking better than the picture on the kit! However, if you don't want to pull them, and you don't see too much space between stitches, you can probably continue with 2 strands.
After I finished my pieces, I put adhesive felt on the back because I made them into ornaments mostly, or magnets. Since your piece is going to be 5x5, do you think you might frame it? The paper will make it easier in that regard as well, I bet.
Can't wait to see how it looks!

Maggie

Keep up the great work!
Maggie

WIP:
Santa (Jim Shore)
Welcome Winter (Zweigert pattern)
CavyMom

Post by CavyMom »

You're making great progress! I think the stitching looks lovely :) I know what you mean though, as I started my very first Mill Hill kit this past weekend, and I pulled my first 10-15 stitches out twice before deciding that must just be how it looks. The stitches do look a bit different on the perforated paper at first, but I can't put my finger on how exactly. The more progress I've made, the less I've noticed it, so maybe it just takes some getting used to?

Maggie, your snowman turned out beautiful!
WIPs
Rocky Point
Frosty Snowman
Living Ocean
Faith ornament
fccs

Post by fccs »

Perforated paper just takes some getting used to. I'm not a huge fan of it because my floss always snags on the edges, but I will stitch on it. Your Mill Hill will be gorgeous, I'm sure.
Debby

(main) WIPs
Angel of Love
Book of Mythical Creatures
Cache la Poudre
Past Present Forever
Fishing Friends
poppy

Post by poppy »

I think that your stitching looks very good,. Looking forward to seeing more. :D

Maggie, your snowman is gorgeous!
Hélène

Finished: Joan Elliott. Rainbow Fairy
Fit Kit by Peter Underhill
The Choir by Peter Underhill
Angel Of The Morning by Lavender & Lace

Best of Friends by Mabel Lucie Attwell
Kuschelschaf

Post by Kuschelschaf »

Thanks for the tips and kind words! I started stitching this with two strands instead of three so since you all seem to like it, im going to stick with that. Since there are two more cats in the set, I'll stitch the next two kits the same way [o2 strands] for consistency.
Visit my new blog HERE

2019 finishes:
Mr. Sparkle
The North Wind
Nessie

On permanent hiatus:
Ferret in Sepia
Squirrel

Post by Squirrel »

WOW fabulous work on this gorgeous ornament. :applesauce:
Sally in Brisbane Australia